View Poll Results: What is your religion?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Protestant Christian

    28 17.50%
  • Roman Catholic Christian

    10 6.25%
  • Sunni Muslim

    5 3.13%
  • Shiite Muslim

    1 0.63%
  • Jewish

    4 2.50%
  • Buddhist

    3 1.88%
  • Hindu

    2 1.25%
  • Atheist/Agnostic

    67 41.88%
  • Other

    40 25.00%
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 404

Thread: What is your religion?

  1. #31
    Student LowRevs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Downeast in NC
    Last Seen
    07-12-12 @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    272

    Re: What is your religion?

    Agnostic. Atheists are trying to make the world a world without religion and tend to frame believers as fools. I believe in a superior power but do not profess to know what it or he or she is or wants us to do. Jesus stated "Thou are God"...perhaps that is the entire story. I am skeptical of organized religions which are after all a creation of man.
    Last edited by LowRevs; 08-17-09 at 01:18 PM. Reason: errata
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.--Thomas Jefferson

  2. #32
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    I disagree. Those values are the values of someone who is a strong Muslim, i wouldn't call someone a faithful or strong Christian if they didn't follow the 10 commandments for example, along with many other things.
    So unless I follow every single word of the Bible literally then I'm not a strong Christian. Strange, I don't think that God literally created the world in 7 days. I must not be a strong Christian to you.

    A fundamentalist and someone who believes strongly in their religion can be two very different people.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  3. #33
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by LowRevs View Post
    Agnostic. Atheists are trying to make the world a world without religion and tend to frame believers as fools. I believe in a superior power but do not profess to know what it or he or she is or wants us to do. Jesus stated "Thou are God"...perhaps that is the entire story. I am skeptical of organized religions which are after all a creation of man.
    How so? Frankly, I find the addition of "under God" to the pledge of allegiance to be absolultely ridiculous since it wasn't there to begin with.

    I also don't like having "In God we Trust" on my money. I have no problem with people being religious. In fact, I want people who NEED religion in order to behave like moral beings to be able to have religion at their disposal. But what it does to the pledge of allegiance or money is beyond me.

  4. #34
    Advisor Sanitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The world.
    Last Seen
    03-05-12 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    459
    "All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language...No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." - John Donne

  5. #35
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    So unless I follow every single word of the Bible literally then I'm not a strong Christian. Strange, I don't think that God literally created the world in 7 days. I must not be a strong Christian to you.

    A fundamentalist and someone who believes strongly in their religion can be two very different people.
    I didn't say just every word, i gave other characteristics too . Just the fundamentals of Christianity. That to me is a strong Christian believer.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: What is your religion?

    Atheism is not a religion. So I clicked "other".

  7. #37
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #38
    Student angrycarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Last Seen
    11-06-09 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    234

    Re: What is your religion?

    Non-religious Christian. Haven't found a religion yet that doesn't tell you how to think and what your opinion should be and whom you should hate. Faith can be a wonderful thing but religion is at the root of nearly every international and many national problems we have or have ever had.

  9. #39
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by angrycarpenter View Post
    Non-religious Christian. Haven't found a religion yet that doesn't tell you how to think and what your opinion should be and whom you should hate. Faith can be a wonderful thing but religion is at the root of nearly every international and many national problems we have or have ever had.
    Strange, I can't ever remember the church ever telling me to hate someone.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  10. #40
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Strange, I can't ever remember the church ever telling me to hate someone.
    Gays, transvestites, America?
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •