View Poll Results: What is your religion?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Protestant Christian

    28 17.50%
  • Roman Catholic Christian

    10 6.25%
  • Sunni Muslim

    5 3.13%
  • Shiite Muslim

    1 0.63%
  • Jewish

    4 2.50%
  • Buddhist

    3 1.88%
  • Hindu

    2 1.25%
  • Atheist/Agnostic

    67 41.88%
  • Other

    40 25.00%
Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 404

Thread: What is your religion?

  1. #311
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,751

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by 75Greeno View Post
    the bible is flawless in its proficys and flow no conflicts like in other religon
    You're just proving you've never read the Bible, anyone who was actually familiar with what the Bible said would know that's absolutely not so.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #312
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by 75Greeno View Post
    the bible is flawless in its proficys and flow no conflicts like in other religon
    Quoted for hilarity.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  3. #313
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Flawless?
    Do you have proof for this assertion, and I'm not talking about a religious propaganda website.

    Nostradamus was pretty damned flawless. Why don't you believe his prophecies? Or the Mayans for that matter?
    As an Agonostic,,,you scare me Pat. Not with your "Prognostic" capabilities mind you. But with your anal retentive belief in a 14th century man.

    Telling you, your Future. Take your time...tell me why I should too.
    Last edited by Realist1; 09-04-09 at 06:01 PM.

  4. #314
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Realist1 View Post
    As an Agonostic,,,you scare me Pat. Not with your "Prognostic" capabilities mind you. But with your anal rentive belief in a 14th century man.

    Telling you your Future. Take your time...tell me why I should too.
    Uh....where did I imply that? I was merely it bringing up as a point.

    I've already stated my personal religious choices a few posts back.

  5. #315
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Realist1 View Post
    As an Agonostic,,,you scare me Pat. Not with your "Prognostic" capabilities mind you. But with your anal retentive belief in a 14th century man.

    Telling you, your Future. Take your time...tell me why I should too.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  6. #316
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Uh....where did I imply that? I was merely it bringing up as a point.

    I've already stated my personal religious choices a few posts back.
    I'll back off,,, As you please.

  7. #317
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    I've times I've had "questions" about you too Ego. We'll see about you too.

    It all depends on the topic, and response.

    Take care.

  8. #318
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    I was trying to explain this to someone the other day and was having a hard time getting through to them. Can you elaborate a little more so that I may hopefully go back to this individual and make them understand where I'm coming from?
    I've been keeping a file full of arguments and their rebuttals for the occasion. A lot of the arguments made by theists i hear over and over again therefore having a quick reference of well written responses is useful. That is, its much easier not to have to re-invent the wheel. This happens to be one of them. Its not mine, I found it rather well written by another on a different forum.

    Argument: Atheists and theists both have faith.

    Response: I suggest that with your use of word 'faith' you believe you level the playing field and remove one of the atheist's more powerful arguments, namely that using reason when evaluating truth claims is superior to using faith. This claim commits an equivocation fallacy with the term "faith." The only sort of "faith" which might be common among atheists is that of mere confidence based upon and limited by repeatable, objective experiences. This is the sort of faith which can apply to the "faith" that your brakes will work, or the "faith" that the sun will come up tomorrow. This "faith" is only as strong as the evidence or reason allows and it is defeatable given new evidence or arguments. The faith you claim - religious faith in the existence of a god - is a very different matter - something Paul clearly recognized when he defined faith as the "...assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." (Hebr. 11:1) This is not the sort of faith used by those who think that the brakes on their car will work: this is the sort of faith used by those who believe without sound empirical evidence. The fact that atheists might have the former kind of faith and the fact that theists have the latter kind of faith does not mean that atheists and theists are operating or thinking the same way. It does not mean that we are forming and evaluating beliefs in a similar manner.
    Last edited by scourge99; 09-04-09 at 07:05 PM.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  9. #319
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    I've been keeping a file full of arguments and their rebuttals for the occasion. A lot of the arguments made by theists i hear over and over again therefore having a quick reference of well written responses is useful. That is, its much easier not to have to re-invent the wheel. This happens to be one of them. Its not mine, I found it rather well written by another on a different forum.

    Argument: Atheists and theists both have faith.

    Response: I suggest that with your use of word 'faith' you believe you level the playing field and remove one of the atheist's more powerful arguments, namely that using reason when evaluating truth claims is superior to using faith. This claim commits an equivocation fallacy with the term "faith." The only sort of "faith" which might be common among atheists is that of mere confidence based upon and limited by repeatable, objective experiences. This is the sort of faith which can apply to the "faith" that your brakes will work, or the "faith" that the sun will come up tomorrow. This "faith" is only as strong as the evidence or reason allows and it is defeatable given new evidence or arguments. The faith you claim - religious faith in the existence of a god - is a very different matter - something Paul clearly recognized when he defined faith as the "...assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." (Hebr. 11:1) This is not the sort of faith used by those who think that the brakes on their car will work: this is the sort of faith used by those who believe without sound empirical evidence. The fact that atheists might have the former kind of faith and the fact that theists have the latter kind of faith does not mean that atheists and theists are operating or thinking the same way. It does not mean that we are forming and evaluating beliefs in a similar manner.
    Myself personally, I don't want any of the "gods" now presented, past, present, or future. I'm a Man that knows I'm going to Live, and Die. During a "Normal Life Span of a Human Being".

    As WE all will. What happens after,,,I've not a clue. I don't know...

    I do know I don't care a bit for the present day 'Religions" I've been exposed to.
    Last edited by Realist1; 09-04-09 at 07:29 PM.

  10. #320
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Realist1 View Post
    Myself personally, I don't want any of the "gods" now presented, past, present, or future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Realist1 View Post
    I do know I don't care a bit for the present day 'Religions" I've been exposed to.
    Want has nothing to do with it. Wanting something doesn't make it true or false.

    A wise man once said "The unexamined life isn't worth living." You'll have to decide for yourself whether that is true or not.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •