View Poll Results: What is your religion?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Protestant Christian

    28 17.50%
  • Roman Catholic Christian

    10 6.25%
  • Sunni Muslim

    5 3.13%
  • Shiite Muslim

    1 0.63%
  • Jewish

    4 2.50%
  • Buddhist

    3 1.88%
  • Hindu

    2 1.25%
  • Atheist/Agnostic

    67 41.88%
  • Other

    40 25.00%
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 404

Thread: What is your religion?

  1. #21
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    But if one feels so strongly about his or her religion, it will, regardless of how secular you claim to be, inevitable spill over into your political views.
    Define strong. In what way?


  2. #22
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Everyone is an agnostic because no one knows, however there is no faith required to disbelieve or be skeptical of one's supernatural claims.

    So just how is your lack of belief in Zeus a leap of faith?
    Because there is no way to disprove a negative. Skepticism is one thing, that could be considered agnosticism. Atheism however means that you believe there are no gods. It cannot be proven, so it is a leap of faith.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  3. #23
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: What is your religion?

    I am a Quranist Muslim to be specific.

    But since there is no such poll, i'll just choose Sunni


  4. #24
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Define strong. In what way?
    Someone who follows Islam to the last word of the Quaran, someone who lives and swears by it and implements it throughout his/hers daily life, decisions and views. And if not all that, than just one thing can dictate you are not truly secular; someone who is Muslim/Christian etc and is therefore biased to that sect. Secularists are not biased towards religion and therefore there own religion despite how secular they may claim to be does not shape there foreign policy, but is shaped purely on rational, strategical interests. For example, Indonesia doesn't particularly favor relations with other Muslim nations, nor does Turkey; because they are secular nations who share there values with other secular nations mainly in the west, the cultural/religious similarities are NOT the engine that turns the wheel of foreign policy, but again, rational and strategic interests with modern progressive nations.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 08-17-09 at 01:05 PM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  5. #25
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Someone who follows Islam to the last word of the Quaran, someone who lives and swears by it and implements it throughout his/hers daily life, decisions and views. And if not all that, than just one thing can dictate you are not truly secular; someone who is Muslim/Christian etc and is therefore biased to that sect. Secularists are not biased towards religion and there biased does not shape there foreign policy.
    Sounds like a fundamentalist, not necessarily someone who believes in their faith strongly. Interestingly enough, in the early days of the Christian church, it was considered heretical to read the Bible entirely literally.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  6. #26
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Sounds like a fundamentalist, not necessarily someone who believes in their faith strongly. Interestingly enough, in the early days of the Christian church, it was considered heretical to read the Bible entirely literally.
    I disagree. Those values are the values of someone who is a strong Muslim, i wouldn't call someone a faithful or strong Christian if they didn't follow the 10 commandments for example, along with many other things.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  7. #27
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Someone who follows Islam to the last word of the Quaran, someone who lives and swears by it and implements it throughout his/hers daily life, decisions and views. And if not all that, than just one thing can dictate you are not truly secular; someone who is Muslim/Christian etc and is therefore biased to that sect. Secularists are not biased towards religion and therefore there own religion despite how secular they may claim to be does not shape there foreign policy, but is shaped purely on rational, strategical interests. For example, Indonesia doesn't particularly favor relations with other Muslim nations, nor does Turkey; because they are secular nations who share there values with other secular nations mainly in the west.
    Does it count if the Qu'ran can sway ones opinion or decision?
    I think i am quite religious and somewhat secular

    Maybe it is the Muslim in me but i do feel Muslim countries who try harder with non muslim countries rather than their fellow Muslim ones, have problems of their own.
    And that does go for Turkey. It does like to see itself as some sort of bridge, when it is not. It is too far one way to ever be a bridge.


  8. #28
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Sounds like a fundamentalist, not necessarily someone who believes in their faith strongly. Interestingly enough, in the early days of the Christian church, it was considered heretical to read the Bible entirely literally.
    If following the tenents of Islam is being fundemental, then the 'fundementalists' in the Muslim population has gone up to about 90% of the 1.2 billion.

    Who isn't a fundementalist muslim in that case.


  9. #29
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Does it count if the Qu'ran can sway ones opinion or decision?
    I think i am quite religious and somewhat secular
    Its an odd combo. I wouldn't consider a political view secular if that view was influenced by a religion/religious book, instead of sheer rational thought on your own part. If all your views are influenced by religion than no, i do not believe you to be secular.

    Maybe it is the Muslim in me but i do feel Muslim countries who try harder with non muslim countries rather than their fellow Muslim ones, have problems of their own.
    And that does go for Turkey. It does like to see itself as some sort of bridge, when it is not. It is too far one way to ever be a bridge.
    Wether it is a bridge between the West or not is not up to Turkey to decide. That decision lays with us westerners. If we choose to embrace them as such, then they are. The Turks also have to be willing to accept that role. And i believe they do, hence there persistence for EU membership. But as Obama more correctly said;

    "Turkey is not a bridge between East and West. It is where the East and West join", and i believe that to be true.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 08-17-09 at 01:13 PM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  10. #30
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    If all your views are influenced by religion than no, i do not believe you to be secular.

    "Turkey is not a bridge between East and West. It is where East and West join", and i believe that to be true.
    Perhaps.
    Maybe not.

    All? No.
    Some? Absolutely.
    I'd be lying if i said otherwise.


Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •