View Poll Results: What is your religion?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Protestant Christian

    28 17.50%
  • Roman Catholic Christian

    10 6.25%
  • Sunni Muslim

    5 3.13%
  • Shiite Muslim

    1 0.63%
  • Jewish

    4 2.50%
  • Buddhist

    3 1.88%
  • Hindu

    2 1.25%
  • Atheist/Agnostic

    67 41.88%
  • Other

    40 25.00%
Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 404

Thread: What is your religion?

  1. #221
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Oh, but you don't need evidence to prove that there is no God? How convenient.


    Examine the picture and the explanation in the link. Let me know if you have any questions.



    RichardDawkins.net Forum • View topic - A-Theist A-Gnostic Definitions
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  2. #222
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: What is your religion?

    Where is the evidence that God does not exist?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  3. #223
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: What is your religion?

    There are sound logical disproofs of the existence of the Judeo-Christian-Islamic deity, I'd say. For example, we have the paradox of omnipotence:

    1. Either God can create a stone that he cannot lift, or he cannot create a stone that he cannot lift.

    2. If God can create a stone that he cannot lift, then he is not omnipotent.

    3. If God cannot create a stone that he cannot lift, then he is not omnipotent.

    4. Therefore, God is not omnipotent.

  4. #224
    Educator
    moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cebu Rep of the Philippines
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,176

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    There are sound logical disproofs of the existence of the Judeo-Christian-Islamic deity, I'd say. For example, we have the paradox of omnipotence:

    1. Either God can create a stone that he cannot lift, or he cannot create a stone that he cannot lift.

    2. If God can create a stone that he cannot lift, then he is not omnipotent.

    3. If God cannot create a stone that he cannot lift, then he is not omnipotent.

    4. Therefore, God is not omnipotent.
    This question was answered more than 1,500 years ago.

    Augustine of Hippo The City of God:
    For He is called omnipotent on account of His doing what He wills, not on account of His suffering what He wills not; for if that should befall Him, He would by no means be omnipotent. Wherefore, He cannot do some things for the very reason that He is omnipotent.
    The problem with your rock example is the way you seem to define Omnipotent as it applies to God. God is omnipotent in the sense that there is no being with more power than he has. The bible clarifies the intended meaning of the biblical meaning of Almighty by also teaching that God can not contradict himself. He cannot deny his own existence. He cannot sin He cannot lie etc.

    Moe

  5. #225
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What is your religion?

    When I see all the beauty of nature, I must believe in a God - of some unknown sort.
    But, religion, no; maybe I am a Deist.
    "What we have" could not have been designed on some random, hit or miss basis...

  6. #226
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Where is the evidence that God does not exist?
    IMO, there is no definite, irrefutable evidence either way.

    "What we have", or Life, or Nature, must have some guidance, some "master plan"...so we have assigned this incomprehensible task to "God"...

  7. #227
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What is your religion?

    I believe in God. I believe that every religious organization is just mans way of trying to control humans.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #228
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Oh, but you don't need evidence to prove that there is no God? How convenient.
    No, I don't claim there is no God, I simply find no evidence for God's factual existence. By the same token, I don't have to prove Bigfoot isn't real either. You're the one proposing that God is real, it rests entirely on your shoulders to demonstrate it. If you cannot, and you have not, then your claim can be discarded as unproven, pending further evidence somewhere down the road.

    Welcome to science.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #229
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Where is the evidence that God does not exist?
    The burden of proof lies with the one making a claim. Most atheists do not make a claim to God(s) existence or non-existence. They are simply in the default position of non-belief. Atheists do not have to prove God doesn't exist anymore than atheists or theists have to prove unicorns do not exist in order to have a non-belief in them. However, if you claim God does exist the burden of proof is on you to prove it, either to yourself or to others. Note: some atheists do claim God does not exist and therefore the burden of proof is on them. Most, however, do not.


    Theists should prove it to themselves because it demonstrates their claim is both rationale and reasonable. The difference in proving a claim to oneself as opposed to proving it to another is that personal experiences are a valid form of proof in proving something to one's self. The weakness of proving it to one's self is that people are biased and often err in their reason unless checked by another.

    If theists wish others to believe their claim then they need to prove it to them. Its at this point that testimony is unreliable as evidence due to known flaws in humans.
    Last edited by scourge99; 08-23-09 at 05:33 PM.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  10. #230
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    No, I don't claim there is no God, I simply find no evidence for God's factual existence. By the same token, I don't have to prove Bigfoot isn't real either. You're the one proposing that God is real, it rests entirely on your shoulders to demonstrate it. If you cannot, and you have not, then your claim can be discarded as unproven, pending further evidence somewhere down the road.

    Welcome to science.
    Its not just science though. This is basic critical thinking skills yet I find that most people wholly lack a basic understanding of it.

    If someone has a better form of reasoning then present the reason or a demonstration of why and how this newer/other method is better.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •