View Poll Results: What is your religion?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Protestant Christian

    28 17.50%
  • Roman Catholic Christian

    10 6.25%
  • Sunni Muslim

    5 3.13%
  • Shiite Muslim

    1 0.63%
  • Jewish

    4 2.50%
  • Buddhist

    3 1.88%
  • Hindu

    2 1.25%
  • Atheist/Agnostic

    67 41.88%
  • Other

    40 25.00%
Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 404

Thread: What is your religion?

  1. #211
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    And religion is hypocritical which is why I oppose it. It's not that religion exists that I dislike, it's that religion, the overwhelming majority of them anyhow, create their own double and triple-standards for evaluating reality, invent their own definitions, and make absurd exceptions for their magic man in the sky. There aren't many religions that don't do that and for the very few that do, I've got no problem with them whatsoever, even if I don't agree with their methods or beliefs.

    Too bad none of those religions are western religions.
    Let's assume for a moment that you are right, and that most religions are hypocritical in nature.

    Why do you care so much?

    What's it to you if people want to believe in a lie to make them happy? How does it harm you in any way? Thomas Jefferson once said, "But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." This applies to believing in one God as well. The only conclusion I can draw from your militant anti-religious stance is that you are insecure in your beliefs. I'm not saying that's true, but it's how you're rubbing off.

  2. #212
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: What is your religion?

    You're all going to Hell

  3. #213
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,798

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Let's assume for a moment that you are right, and that most religions are hypocritical in nature.

    Why do you care so much?
    Because adherents of these hypocritical religions feel compelled to push their ridiculous beliefs on everyone through force of legislation, social pressure, etc. Why do I care indeed.

    What's it to you if people want to believe in a lie to make them happy? How does it harm you in any way? Thomas Jefferson once said, "But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." This applies to believing in one God as well. The only conclusion I can draw from your militant anti-religious stance is that you are insecure in your beliefs. I'm not saying that's true, but it's how you're rubbing off.
    So long as they don't push it on anyone else, it's fine to me. Pathetic, certainly, but people can believe anything they want so long as they keep it to themselves. But when they try to shove it into the schools, into the laws, increase the tax burden on everyone else so they can reduce it on themselves, when they insist that their beliefs give them license to harm others, deny them medical treatment, perform "honor killings", see demons at every turn and expect respect for such beliefs, I think it concerns me, as it concerns every rational member of society.

    Thomas Jefferson would be leading the charge today against organized religion, modern-day religion both picks his pocket and breaks his leg, it's anti-intellectual and anti-reality. Until that changes, I have no problem standing up in defense of what is factually true and against things that harm society.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #214
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,798

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Where did the energy and matter for such an event come from?
    We have some good ideas but the truth is, we don't know for sure. There's nothing wrong with not knowing, that doesn't give you license to just make crap up.

    By the way, where did God come from? Provide any sort of evidence for it whatsoever.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #215
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    The big bang did the cause of atheism no favors. Atheism is better supported by the steady state model. No beginning no end thus the biblical book of Genesis could not possibly be true and evolution had an infinite amount of time to operate. No creator etc. If the universe truly was static atheism would be triumphant.
    1) atheists do not even need to address the question.

    2) atheism does not require any particular belief except a disbelief/non-belief in God(s).

    Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    The atheists have made up some of their own crap.Bubble universes, Parallel universes, Baby Universes. Infinite universes where anything can happen but none of these have been discovered or scientifically studied.
    Scientists only "make up" hypotheses. Scientists do not "make up" evidence. Theories such as the bubble universe, parallel universes are only as strong as the evidence supports them. There are many theories which have great promise, for example String theory, because they are mathematically sound but nonetheless they require empirical evidence before they are accepted in the scientific community.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  6. #216
    Educator
    moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cebu Rep of the Philippines
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,176

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    1) atheists do not even need to address the question.

    2) atheism does not require any particular belief except a disbelief/non-belief in God(s).

    Scientists only "make up" hypotheses. Scientists do not "make up" evidence. Theories such as the bubble universe, parallel universes are only as strong as the evidence supports them. There are many theories which have great promise, for example String theory, because they are mathematically sound but nonetheless they require empirical evidence before they are accepted in the scientific community.

    If you wish to debate this then we should take it back to the religious forum rather than hijacking the OP's thread and discussing a religious topic in the wrong forum

  7. #217
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    By the way, where did God come from? Provide any sort of evidence for it whatsoever.
    Where did God come from? | Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry

    Something to think about.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  8. #218
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    I think the key word you missed was "evidence". Other than testimony what reason is there to believe what you claim?
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  9. #219
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,798

    Re: What is your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Seriously? Carm? Matt Slick is a joke. Can't you come up with something rational? You know... EVIDENCE?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #220
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: What is your religion?

    Oh, but you don't need evidence to prove that there is no God? How convenient.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •