View Poll Results: Are we really born with inalienable rights?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    35 59.32%
  • No

    21 35.59%
  • Other (explain)

    3 5.08%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 119

Thread: Do Humans really have inalienable rights?

  1. #101
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Do Humans really have inalienable rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Then the word loses all meaning. By your reasoning, rape is a right because people have the potential ability to do it.
    It would seem so.

    It all depends on what you define a "right" as.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #102
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do Humans really have inalienable rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Then the word loses all meaning. By your reasoning, rape is a right because people have the potential ability to do it.
    Yes.

    But I really don't see your point because by your own reasoning raping could be a right, depending on the society in question.

    I don't see all rights as moral simply because morality is subjective, while rights are not.

    A specific social morality will dictate which rights will be freely exercised. In some cultures, rape is a freely exercised right. In others it receives consequences.

  3. #103
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Do Humans really have inalienable rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    It would seem so.

    It all depends on what you define a "right" as.
    Yes, but if you define it as an ability, which is seemingly what he's doing, we already have a perfectly good word for that, why not just use "ability" if that's what you mean?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #104
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do Humans really have inalienable rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Yes, but if you define it as an ability, which is seemingly what he's doing, we already have a perfectly good word for that, why not just use "ability" if that's what you mean?
    Because ability is individualized. I have the ability to play the guitar. I'm not talking about individual, nor actually having the physical capabilities.

    I'm talking about potential abilities that exist for all people, regardless of their personal capabilities. For example, a mute would not be able to speak "freely" per se, but that person still has the right to speak freely, he would just need to awquire the means to do so first.

    That would be a person who is unable, still having the right to do something, albeit without the ability to do so.

    That's why "ability" doesn't work, and is not a perfectly good word for it.

  5. #105
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Do Humans really have inalienable rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Because ability is individualized. I have the ability to play the guitar. I'm not talking about individual, nor actually having the physical capabilities.

    I'm talking about potential abilities that exist for all people, regardless of their personal capabilities. For example, a mute would not be able to speak "freely" per se, but that person still has the right to speak freely, he would just need to awquire the means to do so first.

    That would be a person who is unable, still having the right to do something, albeit without the ability to do so.

    That's why "ability" doesn't work, and is not a perfectly good word for it.
    Great, we all have the "right" to flap our arms and fly, even though we don't have the ability to.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #106
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do Humans really have inalienable rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Great, we all have the "right" to flap our arms and fly, even though we don't have the ability to.
    Flap our arms? Yes.

    Fly? Of course not.

    But one sure sign that a person has failed to grasp the logic is when they use a nonsense retort and mistake it for wit.

  7. #107
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Do Humans really have inalienable rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Flap our arms? Yes.

    Fly? Of course not.

    But one sure sign that a person has failed to grasp the logic is when they use a nonsense retort and mistake it for wit.
    That's not what you said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case
    That would be a person who is unable, still having the right to do something, albeit without the ability to do so.
    Make up your mind.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #108
    Professor
    OxymoronP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heart in Brooklyn, body South of Dixie
    Last Seen
    08-23-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Do Humans really have inalienable rights?

    A more important question is whether: Aliens have inhumanable rights.Blew your mind.


    THE GREATEST FREEDOM IS THE FREEDOM TO OPPRESS OTHERS

  9. #109
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do Humans really have inalienable rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    That's not what you said:



    Make up your mind.
    Perhap context is important considering my use of "that" is a dead giveaway that I was talking about a specific example in THAT sentence.

    But here's the complete quote:

    I'm talking about potential abilities that exist for all people, regardless of their personal capabilities. For example, a mute would not be able to speak "freely" per se, but that person still has the right to speak freely, he would just need to awquire the means to do so first.

    That would be a person who is unable, still having the right to do something, albeit without the ability to do so.

    See, now what I bolded clearly states "potential abilities". Since flying is not a potential ability for anyone, it would obviously not qualify as a right. If it were a potential ability for ANY person, it would be a right, but since it cannot EVER be a potential ability, it cannot EVER be a right.

    But since flapping your arms is a potential ability for almost every damned person on the ****ing planet, it qualifies as a right.

    I've made up my mind, you just can't keep up.

  10. #110
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Do Humans really have inalienable rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    See, now what I bolded clearly states "potential abilities". Since flying is not a potential ability for anyone, it would obviously not qualify as a right. If it were a potential ability for ANY person, it would be a right, but since it cannot EVER be a potential ability, it cannot EVER be a right.
    Why not? After all, we can all get on airplanes and fly, that's "acquiring the means to do so" isn't it? So I guess you're saying that we all have the right to board an airplane, with or without any training, certification or regulation, and fly if we so choose. After all, it's our right!

    I've made up my mind, you just can't keep up.
    Most of us are far beyond you, we're still waiting for you to catch up and realize that what you're saying makes no logical sense.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •