View Poll Results: Where is it most likely for there to be a mass shooting

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Police station

    0 0%
  • National guard base

    0 0%
  • Gun show

    0 0%
  • NRA national matches

    0 0%
  • School/college campus

    27 69.23%
  • Shopping mall

    4 10.26%
  • Other (specify)

    8 20.51%
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 165

Thread: Mass shootings are more likely at...

  1. #41
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    So, the likelihood that you will be engaged by defensive gun fire is not a significant factor? Okay, let’s try this…

    Two schools, identical in every conceivable way EXCEPT one has certain teachers licensed to carry weapons whereas the other does not. Which one are you going to attack?
    I doubt that most people who go on shooting rampages have any intention of surviving the assault, so the possibility of defensive gun fire is not going to dissuade them. Furthermore, I'm not aware of anyone ever going on a mass rampage at a school that wasn't their own. The shooters are almost invariably students or former students of the school. I'm not aware of a shooter ever targeting a school specifically because there would be less guns there than at some other school.

    I don't really care if certain faculty are allowed to carry weapons, as long as they're being responsible. But let's not pretend it's going to dissuade a mass shooter, in that highly unlikely situation.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 08-11-09 at 04:03 PM.

  2. #42
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I doubt that most people who go on shooting rampages have any intention of surviving the assault, so the possibility of defensive gun fire is not going to dissuade them.
    Except that they intend to complete their 'mission' before doing so, and so then may very well be dissuaded bu the real possibility of defensive fire.
    Not to mention being actually -stopped- by it.

    Furthermore, I'm not aware of anyone ever going on a mass rampage at a school that wasn't their own. The shooters are almost invariably students or former students of the school. I'm not aware of a shooter ever targeting a school specifically because there would be less guns there than at some other school.
    These are not related concepts.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I doubt that most people who go on shooting rampages have any intention of surviving the assault, so the possibility of defensive gun fire is not going to dissuade them. Furthermore, I'm not aware of anyone ever going on a mass rampage at a school that wasn't their own. The shooters are almost invariably students or former students of the school. I'm not aware of a shooter ever targeting a school specifically because there would be less guns there than at some other school.

    I don't really care if certain faculty are allowed to carry weapons, as long as they're being responsible. But let's not pretend it's going to dissuade a mass shooter, in that highly unlikely situation.
    The constant knowledge that some of your teachers are packing heat could be a very real deterrent, or it couldn't be. It's all speculation at this point.

  4. #44
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    I disagree with your assessment of the research. The CATO institute, and even the researcher himself, admitted that they thought by studying areas that had legalized conceal carry, they would see higher crime rates. However, they were in fact surprised to find that the states with CCW actually saw a reduction in crime. There was never data to fit the hypothesis.
    My assessment was based on how you presented it. Now that you've added more description to the study, you'll notice that it's quite different from where you started. At first you made it seem like the study was about law abiding citizens themselves, but now it's the area where these law abiding citizens are found.

    I'm just going off on what you are presenting here.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  5. #45
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I'll take your evasiveness as a confirmation of my point.
    No, it's not. I do not think that guns are something that mass killers spend much time thinking about when planning their crimes. The only case where it might, possibly be considered would be when all other things are equal(they never are), and when the nutcase has access to the information(which is not guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, it's not. I do not think that guns are something that mass killers spend much time thinking about when planning their crimes. The only case where it might, possibly be considered would be when all other things are equal(they never are), and when the nutcase has access to the information(which is not guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination.
    Guns aren't something they think about? So, they'd be just as likely to commit a killing spree on DARE day (when several police officers are present) as opposed to just another ol' school day?

  7. #47
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Frequency of occurence most certainly is an issue when determining chances and likelihoods. Point stands: mass shootings are not a frequent occurrence to start with.
    Only if your argument is that 'small sample size' has averaged these places out. This stands only if it is somehow inherenly more likely to happen in one place than another; you argue that the relevant function is the person and not the place, so that cannot be.

    Totally untrue. There is no unfettered access to police stations, National Guard Stations, etc. You get access to the front desk. That's it.
    The police station, yes.
    Every NG base I've been on (and that's a number), they stop you at the gate and and check your driver's license. Maybe.
    In fact, last one I was on, I only stopped because there was a sign that said "stop".

    They also don't seem to happen in...
    The it seems your position that it is the shooter and not the place isnt well-supported, as crazies have access to all of these places.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    The it seems your position that it is the shooter and not the place isnt well-supported, as crazies have access to all of these places.
    And that none of those are places people are likely to be packing either. At least not when compared to military bases and police stations.

    The issue is the person, not the place and not who may or may not be exercising the right to bear arms. Hell, with police stations and guard posts, it isn't exercising second amendment rights anyway...they are civil servants and military personnel.

  9. #49
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Guns aren't something they think about? So, they'd be just as likely to commit a killing spree on DARE day (when several police officers are present) as opposed to just another ol' school day?
    Depends on whether they knew about it or not. Do you notice how extremely specific and unlikely your scenarios are getting?

  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Where do you think it is most likely for there to be a mass shooting?
    Please be sure to state your reason, and any support for same.
    Support for a mass shooting ?
    This problem will persist as long as the gun laws are so lax.
    Study the European stats on this.. Not that they have all of the best ways of doing things.
    But I doubt if the damn gun lovers know how to read and write.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •