View Poll Results: Where is it most likely for there to be a mass shooting

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Police station

    0 0%
  • National guard base

    0 0%
  • Gun show

    0 0%
  • NRA national matches

    0 0%
  • School/college campus

    27 69.23%
  • Shopping mall

    4 10.26%
  • Other (specify)

    8 20.51%
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 165

Thread: Mass shootings are more likely at...

  1. #21
    Traditional
    hiswoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Last Seen
    04-04-13 @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,051
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I agree that if the hypothetical whackjob mass-murderer-wannabe has a preferred target list, his preferred attack site will be where his targets are.

    I think for many of these nuts, there is a secondary consideration that they want to complete their "mission", and kill lots of people before they are caught or killed. Therefore, if they feel they have any options in target selection, most of them would probably prefer to strike where there will be few or no cops, and few or no armed citizens.

    If said whackjob does indeed target a site where there are either cops a-plenty or armed citizens, the odds that his spree will be terminated before he racks up as much of a body count as he intended, is made more likely.
    True that. I think if someone specifically targets Cops 'R Us, their goal is more likely the commission of suicide by cop. A most disgusting act of cowardice, that.




    Gestures, in love, are incomparably more attractive, effective and valuable than words.
    ~ Francois Rabelais

  2. #22
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanitas View Post
    What a strange poll.
    How so?
    Seems to me we keep getting told that where there are more guns, more people will siffer from gun violence -- and yet, mass shootings in the presence of guns is rare, if it happens at all.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Post Office.

  4. #24
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Your odds of being killed in a mass shooting at either of those places are TINY. Just because the media reports them doesn't mean that they're commonplace.
    You would agree than that these instances are then not pillars upon which to base an argument for more gun control.
    Right?

  5. #25
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Sigh...I was addressing the so-called "research." I have yet to state anything about my position. So I don't know where you got the idea that I said anything that suggested that law abiding citizens should not have the right to bear arms.

    Just because they are law abiding citizens doesn't mean that there should be absolutely zero restrictions on owning an/or buying firearms.

    To clarify further, many of the existing restrictions on obtaining firearms, such as background checks, CCW permits, age limits, etc. should be enforced to the full extent. Regardless of being law abiding citizens. Unless of course they have a criminal record, which in most cases they won't be even be allowed to buy a firearm.

    The "research" is just idiotic. I mean, what do you think you're going to find? Looking at law abiding citizens and their tendencies toward crime? It's quite obvious that these types of research began with an intended answer. They already know what they want to find, they just need to gather the appropriate "evidence," but as we know that is not how the scientific method works.
    I disagree with your assessment of the research. The CATO institute, and even the researcher himself, admitted that they thought by studying areas that had legalized conceal carry, they would see higher crime rates. However, they were in fact surprised to find that the states with CCW actually saw a reduction in crime. There was never data to fit the hypothesis.

  6. #26
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You would agree than that these instances are then not pillars upon which to base an argument for more gun control.
    Right?
    Sure. Anyone who worries about being a victim of a mass shooting (unless they're involved in something illegal like drugs) is being completely irrational.

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,939

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    I'd say schools and I'll give you a different potential reason.

    School shootings have largely been made up recently of people that attend the school and are school age, be they college or high school.

    In both you have at times high stress environments mixed with generally emotionally immature people. With college often times yo uhave people coping for the first time with being away from home and on their own in some way shape or form. In both, but more often in high school, you have people that are continually ridiculed and ostracized from their little pocket society. You have multiple areas with large amounts of people together in a planned and organized fashion in which people can plan accordingly for. And in general security is relatively lax in most of these places with high schools tending to have perhaps a single security guard and colleges a few cops to go over the entire place, along with the issues with lack of guns on the grounds, and the fact that many of these that becoming more common in "middle class" and "white colar" invironments where security checks in general aren't occuring as often.

    Add all that together and you have a recipe for potential mass shootings.

    That said, given the magnitude of how many educational institutions we have in this country along with the millions that attend said institutions and compare that to the relatively low, relatively speaking, number of mass shootings and you'll see that even with the above stated mass shootings are not really "likely" anywhere in the U.S. outside of potential areas of heavy gang presence.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Sure. Anyone who worries about being a victim of a mass shooting (unless they're involved in something illegal like drugs) is being completely irrational.
    I don't worry about it. I simply believe it is possible and worth preventing.

  9. #29
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    I want to add that I think the idea that schools are more likely to have a mass shooting because the people there are unarmed is foolish. I don't think that is a significant factor in some one choosing a target for a mass shooting.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I want to add that I think the idea that schools are more likely to have a mass shooting because the people there are unarmed is foolish. I don't think that is a significant factor in some one choosing a target for a mass shooting.
    So, the likelihood that you will be engaged by defensive gun fire is not a significant factor? Okay, let’s try this…

    Two schools, identical in every conceivable way EXCEPT one has certain teachers licensed to carry weapons whereas the other does not. Which one are you going to attack?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •