View Poll Results: Where is it most likely for there to be a mass shooting

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Police station

    0 0%
  • National guard base

    0 0%
  • Gun show

    0 0%
  • NRA national matches

    0 0%
  • School/college campus

    27 69.23%
  • Shopping mall

    4 10.26%
  • Other (specify)

    8 20.51%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 165

Thread: Mass shootings are more likely at...

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    No, my point was that the research tlm spoke of, or at least the way he described them, is questionable. The independent variable and control group is ridiculous, to say the least.

    Then you DO think law-abiding citizens, who by your own admission would not increase the crime level even if armed -- since they are law-abiding, as you said -- should be deprived of the right to bear arms? Please clarify.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #12
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Then you DO think law-abiding citizens, who by your own admission would not increase the crime level even if armed -- since they are law-abiding, as you said -- should be deprived of the right to bear arms? Please clarify.
    Sigh...I was addressing the so-called "research." I have yet to state anything about my position. So I don't know where you got the idea that I said anything that suggested that law abiding citizens should not have the right to bear arms.

    Just because they are law abiding citizens doesn't mean that there should be absolutely zero restrictions on owning an/or buying firearms.

    To clarify further, many of the existing restrictions on obtaining firearms, such as background checks, CCW permits, age limits, etc. should be enforced to the full extent. Regardless of being law abiding citizens. Unless of course they have a criminal record, which in most cases they won't be even be allowed to buy a firearm.

    The "research" is just idiotic. I mean, what do you think you're going to find? Looking at law abiding citizens and their tendencies toward crime? It's quite obvious that these types of research began with an intended answer. They already know what they want to find, they just need to gather the appropriate "evidence," but as we know that is not how the scientific method works.
    Last edited by Lightdemon; 08-10-09 at 08:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  3. #13
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Sigh...I was addressing the so-called "research." I have yet to state anything about my position. So I don't know where you got the idea that I said anything that suggested that law abiding citizens should not have the right to bear arms.

    Just because they are law abiding citizens doesn't mean that there should be absolutely zero restrictions on owning an/or buying firearms.

    To clarify further, many of the existing restrictions on obtaining firearms, such as background checks, CCW permits, age limits, etc. should be enforced to the full extent. Regardless of being law abiding citizens. Unless of course they have a criminal record, which in most cases they won't be even be allowed to buy a firearm.

    The "research" is just idiotic. I mean, what do you think you're going to find? Looking at law abiding citizens and their tendencies toward crime? It's quite obvious that these types of research began with an intended answer. They already know what they want to find, they just need to gather the appropriate "evidence," but as we know that is not how the scientific method works.

    You misunderstand my intentions; I do not presume to actually speak for you, but to point out the obvious conclusions based on facts you acknowleged. I was trying to make the point that, if as you said, you believe armed law abiding citizens will not add to crime at all, then it is extremely hard to justify any significant restrictions on the right of law-abiding citizens to carry weapons almost anywhere.

    The point of research that exhibits the fact that concealed-carry permit holders are FAR more law-abiding than the general public, is to make that point even more irrefuteable... that restricting permit holders from where or when they can carry will not reduce crime at all, or that unreasonably limiting carry permit issuance is similarly not going to reduce crime.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #14
    Traditional
    hiswoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Last Seen
    04-04-13 @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,051
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    I agree with TLM and Redress. A self-pitying, angry, narcissistic yet socially inept and isolated person who feels they have been persecuted by a specific person or group of people over a period of time, and who views guns as an equalizer, believes that they can correct that perceived imbalance and thus demonstrate absolute power over their "enemies" by essentially playing God with the lives of as many of these people as possible. Any place where large numbers of people congregate, especially those belonging to the same group as those who have "persecuted" the person, is a prime target. Since these killers often plan to take their own lives after exacting their revenge, I do not personally believe they necessarily factor in the likelihood of some in the crowd being armed.
    Last edited by hiswoman; 08-10-09 at 08:58 PM.




    Gestures, in love, are incomparably more attractive, effective and valuable than words.
    ~ Francois Rabelais

  5. #15
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Other (specify)
    In the ghetto, most likely in/near a crack house or meth lab.

    Shootings in any of those other places are very unusual. I can't believe how many people are voting for universities or shopping malls. Your odds of being killed in a mass shooting at either of those places are TINY. Just because the media reports them doesn't mean that they're commonplace.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 08-10-09 at 09:00 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #16
    Traditional
    hiswoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Last Seen
    04-04-13 @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,051
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    In the ghetto, most likely in/near a crack house or meth lab.

    Shootings in any of those other places are very unusual. I can't believe how many people are voting for universities or shopping malls. Your odds of being killed in a mass shooting at either of those places are TINY. Just because the media reports them doesn't mean that they're commonplace.
    Correct, as is the the likelihood of your average Joe being in a situation that would increase the odds of being killed in a mass shooting. Outside the obvious high-risk locations, the most likely locations for mass shootings to occur are those places that contain the most (symbolic) targets for the shooter.




    Gestures, in love, are incomparably more attractive, effective and valuable than words.
    ~ Francois Rabelais

  7. #17
    Advisor Sanitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The world.
    Last Seen
    03-05-12 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    459

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Where do you think it is most likely for there to be a mass shooting?
    Please be sure to state your reason, and any support for same.
    What a strange poll.
    "All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language...No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." - John Donne

  8. #18
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Well lets see gun free zones, drugs and booze. Now lets add hormones running wild and pier pressure.

    Oh yea, I love college!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #19
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    I agree that if the hypothetical whackjob mass-murderer-wannabe has a preferred target list, his preferred attack site will be where his targets are.

    I think for many of these nuts, there is a secondary consideration that they want to complete their "mission", and kill lots of people before they are caught or killed. Therefore, if they feel they have any options in target selection, most of them would probably prefer to strike where there will be few or no cops, and few or no armed citizens.

    If said whackjob does indeed target a site where there are either cops a-plenty or armed citizens, the odds that his spree will be terminated before he racks up as much of a body count as he intended, is made more likely.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #20
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Mass shootings are more likely at...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    You misunderstand my intentions; I do not presume to actually speak for you, but to point out the obvious conclusions based on facts you acknowleged. I was trying to make the point that, if as you said, you believe armed law abiding citizens will not add to crime at all, then it is extremely hard to justify any significant restrictions on the right of law-abiding citizens to carry weapons almost anywhere.
    It depends on what restrictions we're talking about.
    The amount of firearms? I would be against that.
    The type of firearms? I think there ought to be some level of restriction here.
    Can you walk around with shotgun shells on your chest harness and a sawed off strapped to your leg? I don't think anyone should, but if one could, it'd be highly suspicious even for law abiding citizens.

    The point of research that exhibits the fact that concealed-carry permit holders are FAR more law-abiding than the general public, is to make that point even more irrefuteable... that restricting permit holders from where or when they can carry will not reduce crime at all, or that unreasonably limiting carry permit issuance is similarly not going to reduce crime.
    Again that depends on what restrictions we're talking about. But just so we're clear, I'm not anti 2nd Amendment. I just think there ought to be reasonable restrictions for those who own/use guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •