View Poll Results: Is opposition to Obama mostly due to his race?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    21 15.22%
  • No

    117 84.78%
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 369

Thread: Do you believe that opposition to Obama is mostly based on his race

  1. #251
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Do you believe that opposition to Obama is mostly based on his race

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Of course you have a right to your opinion but would you mind explaining what led you to that opinion?

    To me that would like having an opinion that if you like vanilla ice cream....you are probably not a good bowler??????
    In part, I was led to the opinion that I stated because of other beliefs that I hold.

    Namely, that bigotry is not a natural human trait. Fear of change and the unknown is, and this can be construed as bigotry, but they are not the same.

    I also believe that actual bigots are vastly in the minority in the US.

    I further believe that no one group of people has a monopoly on bigotry. It is in general evenly distributed across all artificial divisions, as are all other negative personality traits.

    In my mind, it then follows that, if someone believes a majority segment of those who oppose Pres. Obama do so because of his skin color, they are bigoted against those who oppose Pres. Obama.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #252
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,535

    Re: Do you believe that opposition to Obama is mostly based on his race

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    I'm done trying to discuss anything with you. You don't want to debate issues....You just want to start fights & make personal attacks! Why don't you just goto a school yard, wait for recess & then pick a fight with anyone at random.
    I'm pretty sure it was you who quoted me in a post where I was conversing with someone else, so who actually did the "picking"? Indeed, it was you.

    And aren't you the one who said that your "preferred" methodology around here is to bait people and rile them up? Indeed, you were that one.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #253
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Do you believe that opposition to Obama is mostly based on his race

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    In part, I was led to the opinion that I stated because of other beliefs that I hold.

    Namely, that bigotry is not a natural human trait. Fear of change and the unknown is, and this can be construed as bigotry, but they are not the same.

    I also believe that actual bigots are vastly in the minority in the US.
    I agree with most of what you say & I never claimed that opposition to Obama means the person must be a bigot. The topic question is: "Do you believe that opposition to Obama is mostly based on his race?"
    I say YES to that in that the many lies & smears (Obama wants to kill old people, etc) are BASED from a few GOP bigots who lead the party. (Limbaugh, etc) Most of the rest of the Obama opposers simply bought the lies they keep hearing, but are probably not bigots.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I further believe that no one group of people has a monopoly on bigotry. It is in general evenly distributed across all artificial divisions, as are all other negative personality traits.
    True to an extent, but the far right have much more propensity for racism & violence than the left. Do you disagree with that?

  4. #254
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Do you believe that opposition to Obama is mostly based on his race

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was you who quoted me in a post where I was conversing with someone else, so who actually did the "picking"? Indeed, it was you.

    And aren't you the one who said that your "preferred" methodology around here is to bait people and rile them up? Indeed, you were that one.

    Funny how only certain members dissolve almost all their posts into personal/childish attacks & you are one of them.
    Take , for example my conversation with Mark (above)
    We both seem to be able to get our points/opinions across without the need for grade school attacks, even though we totally disagree. There was actually some useful information exchanged.

    Why can't you do the same?
    Last edited by Devil505; 08-20-09 at 10:19 AM.

  5. #255
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,535

    Re: Do you believe that opposition to Obama is mostly based on his race

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Funny how only certain members dissolve almost all their posts into personal/childish attacks & you are one of them.
    Take , for example my conversation with Mark (above)
    We both seem to be able to get our points/opinions across without the need for grade school attacks, even though we totally disagree. There was actually some useful information exchanged.

    Why can't you do the same?


    1) Pointing out your hypocrisy is not a "personal attack." If I called you a "butthead," or called your relationship with your mother into question, it would be. I didn't. I referred to what you posted, and the manner in which you did so, particularly vis-a-vis what you accuse me of.

    2) You make one civil post, conveniently AFTER you get called on your own behavior, and you hold it up as the pinnacle of virtue. You might want to look back through the hundreds of your own posts.

    It really just comes down to this -- after all the lashing out, after all the vitriol, after all the self-admitted "baiting," after all the unreason . . . you bring it on yourself.

    And yes . . . people who simply assume racism on the part of others, regardless of any actual evidence of it, DO perpetuate problems WITH racism.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #256
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Do you believe that opposition to Obama is mostly based on his race

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw;1058204186
    And yes . . . people who simply [I
    assume[/I] racism on the part of others, regardless of any actual evidence of it, DO perpetuate problems WITH racism.
    people who simply DENY racism perpetuate problems WITH racism....

    Just yesterday I heard a nice old gentleman say "blacks and mexicans" with an inflection and in a context that indicates racism.

    What is kind of funny is when one of those secretly bigoted white men finds out that his daughter is living "in sin" with one....or one of his kids adopts a black child.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #257
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,535

    Re: Do you believe that opposition to Obama is mostly based on his race

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    people who simply DENY racism perpetuate problems WITH racism....
    I don't, but you have to understand the context in which I said that.

    For example, there is no -- NO -- evidence that Senate Republicans voted against Sotomayor because she's Hispanic. But there are those -- on this board, in this thread -- who have their minds absolutely locked shut around the idea that the only reason they possibly could have is because of racism.

    That's the kind of thing I'm talking about here.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #258
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Do you believe that opposition to Obama is mostly based on his race

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I don't, but you have to understand the context in which I said that.

    For example, there is no -- NO -- evidence that Senate Republicans voted against Sotomayor because she's Hispanic. But there are those -- on this board, in this thread -- who have their minds absolutely locked shut around the idea that the only reason they possibly could have is because of racism.

    That's the kind of thing I'm talking about here.
    It didn't help that she made that old white man statement. It made her sound as tho she will be pro minorities in her future decisions.
    Pretty much all of us have some prejudices that we are not aware of until a situation occurs that triggers such thinking. We are victims of our environment in that respect. The ones I know who never attended college have SOME excuse, the ones I know who are college graduates should know better.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  9. #259
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Do you believe that opposition to Obama is mostly based on his race

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    . . people who simply assume racism on the part of others, regardless of any actual evidence of it, DO perpetuate problems WITH racism.


    I re-post a few links showing evidence of racism against Obama which you clearly deny exists. I never claimed ALL opposition to Obama is racist, but to deny that I haven't provided any evidence to back up my belief is simply untrue.




    Racist Attacks on Obama Growing More Heated | Hatewatch | Southern Poverty Law Center

    Inland GOP mailing depicts Obama's face on food stamp | Inland News | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California

    War on Racism: Threats Against Obama Growing as Inauguration Nears

    Racist Incidents Give Some Obama Campaigners Pause - washingtonpost.com




    (actual links on page 12 of this thread)
    Last edited by Devil505; 08-20-09 at 11:27 AM.

  10. #260
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,535

    Re: Do you believe that opposition to Obama is mostly based on his race

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    I re-post a few links showing evidence of racism against Obama which you clearly deny exists. I never claimed ALL opposition to Obama is racist, but to deny that I haven't provided any evidence to back up my belief is simply untrue.
    No, you said it mostly is, and I never claimed that it doesn't exist at all.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •