View Poll Results: What do you think about apologies (political or otherwise)?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • They are signs of strength and growth

    13 54.17%
  • They are signs of weakness and fear

    0 0%
  • Other

    10 41.67%
  • I'm too weak for this poll

    1 4.17%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: What Do You Think About Apologies?

  1. #21
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: What Do You Think About Apologies?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Yes one is genuine and the other is fake. The general basic definition of apology is a written or verbal expression of remorse or sorrow for having wronged another. Simply apologizing to make someone feel better or to get on their good side is not a genuine apology. Apologizing because you actually feel genuine regret(not regretting the consequences,for example a someone in prison,someone who doesn't want their loved one to be pissed at them and etc) for your actions that have wrong another is what apology is supposed to be.
    I think it would depend on the facts. Say I see a picture of Michelle Obama and I say, "I hate her dress." Jane Doe, a friend of mine, owns that dress and gets offended. Clearly, my words were not meant to insult her, but she feels insulted. Do I regret I said that? NO. I think her dress is ugly. Do I regret that Jane was insulted by it? Sure. In that circumstance, I would apologize so that she wouldn't be mad at me. I don't think that apology is fake.

  2. #22
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: What Do You Think About Apologies?

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I think it would depend on the facts. Say I see a picture of Michelle Obama and I say, "I hate her dress." Jane Doe, a friend of mine, owns that dress and gets offended. Clearly, my words were not meant to insult her, but she feels insulted. Do I regret I said that? NO. I think her dress is ugly. Do I regret that Jane was insulted by it? Sure. In that circumstance, I would apologize so that she wouldn't be mad at me. I don't think that apology is fake.
    If the apology is for saying you think Mrs Obama's dress sucks then it is still bogus because you do not feel remorse or regret for saying what you said.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #23
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: What Do You Think About Apologies?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    If the apology is for saying you think Mrs Obama's dress sucks then it is still bogus because you do not feel remorse or regret for saying what you said.
    Right, but I think you miss the point that sometimes apologies are not based on your own intentions. I accidentally run into someone and cause them to fall down and injure themselves. I certainly didn't mean to injure them. Is my saying sorry that my actions hurt them inappropriate? NO.

    P.S. My apology with the Michelle dress would be I was sorry my friend bought such an ugly dress.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: What Do You Think About Apologies?

    Apologies are a sign of weakness. Even when you are wrong you should never admit it.

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: What Do You Think About Apologies?

    I think apologies are an essential social skill.

    When you find that you are, indeed, wrong, apologizing helps restore the balance in a personal or social relationship.

    If you are apologizing because you sincerly believe you are wrong, it is a sign of strong character and good values.

    If you apologize to someone because you fear their wrath, it is a sign of weakness...but indeed you might have good reason to fear their wrath, in which case it might be a sign of intelligence as well.

    If you apologize when you know you were right, just because you can't stand the idea of someone being mad at you or you're afraid your friends will be unhappy with you, that is a weakness of character: you fear to stand up for what is right unless it is also popular.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #26
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: What Do You Think About Apologies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I think apologies are an essential social skill.

    When you find that you are, indeed, wrong, apologizing helps restore the balance in a personal or social relationship.

    If you are apologizing because you sincerly believe you are wrong, it is a sign of strong character and good values.

    If you apologize to someone because you fear their wrath, it is a sign of weakness...but indeed you might have good reason to fear their wrath, in which case it might be a sign of intelligence as well.

    If you apologize when you know you were right, just because you can't stand the idea of someone being mad at you or you're afraid your friends will be unhappy with you, that is a weakness of character: you fear to stand up for what is right unless it is also popular.
    You got some good stuff there, Goshin.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jefferson State
    Last Seen
    11-25-12 @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,545

    Re: What Do You Think About Apologies?

    It depends on the motivation. I think apologies are useful when sincere. They connect us to the truth--that nobody is perfect and that we all make mistakes.

    I know a few people who never apologize.
    Last edited by windovervocalcords; 08-05-09 at 09:19 PM.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yop
    Last Seen
    06-27-16 @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,366

    Re: What Do You Think About Apologies?

    Apologies are signs of strength and growth only if they come with a check

  9. #29
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What Do You Think About Apologies?

    If it is a true apology then it shows strength. But in order for it to be a valid apology then you must beable to show it also through actions.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: What Do You Think About Apologies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    If it is a true apology then it shows strength. But in order for it to be a valid apology then you must be able to show it also through actions.

    THAT, is an excellent point.

    Let's say I hit you.
    BOP! "Ow!".
    But then I apologize: "Sorry about that."

    Then I do it again.
    BOP! "Ow!". "Sorry about that."

    Now about the third time...
    BOP! "Ow!". "Sorry about that."

    ...you may begin to think my apologies are less than sincere and lacking in value!

    An apology is nice, but if there is no restitution or change in behavior, it is suspect. A person who keeps on hurting you is not entitled to being allowed to continue to be a part of your life just because he keeps saying "Sorry".

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •