View Poll Results: Should protesters be allowed to curb free speech in this country?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Protests are protected by the Constitution.

    36 63.16%
  • No. If protesters stop free speech, they should be removed by police.

    20 35.09%
  • If fake protesters & their masters should be prosecuted.

    12 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 425

Thread: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

  1. #261
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    You conveniently keep failing to admit that First Amendment rights must be exercised "peaceably", otherwise they do not get protected (the local police have the power, authority & duty to "Keep the Peace.".

    What gives any THUG the right to prevent others from exercising their Freedom of Speech?...NOTHING does or should!
    You really have no clue how the First Amendment works, do you?

  2. #262
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Thumbs down Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    I suspect that "Libertarians" would like to see health care regressed to that of 200 years ago, when the rich could have a doctor close at hand and the poor would just die...
    You suspect wrong. Try again.

  3. #263
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Unbelievable, the ink was not even dry
    Do I become overly emotional ?
    Suggestion: Don't feed the trolls!

  4. #264
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Reading comprehension is critical. Congress is not charged with seeing to it that people may peaceably assemble. They simply can't pass a law prohibiting it.

    This thread still fails.
    I don't care who wrote the laws...Congress, your state or you city.......No one has a right to disturb the peace. Any thug should goto jail for that CRIME.

  5. #265
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505
    So, if it can be proven that the intent of a protest is not to make their views known, but specifically to prevent the words of the other side from being heard, should that be illegal?
    Like I said before, no. It is not against the law in anyway. This "intent" issue you are talking about has absolutely no legal bearing. And by protesting, even if it prevents the other side from being heard, will always have the intent of making the views of the protesters heard.

    What you are saying really makes little sense. The whole point of a protest is to display opposition against something. Whether they display this opposition by yelling and shouting or peacefully holding signs really doesn't matter; they have a right to do it.

    You are trying to say it is illegal to speak above somebody else, which is ridiculous.

    If I were to cut someone off during an interview, would I be going against free speech? If someone is in a debate and they shout over the other person, are they stopping free speech? If so, a certain CNN reporter is guiltly of stopping free speech.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOrPzVECSjo"]YouTube - Rude CNN Reporter Needs Fired Tea Party interview CNN TeaParty Tax[/ame]
    According to your logic, what the CNN reporter did should be illegal. After all, she prevented the free speech of that man by interupting him, didn't she? She rudely yelled over what he was trying to say.

    The fact is that yelling loudly so somebody else cannot get their point out is not illegal or against free speech. Rude, yes. But it is not in anyway illegal. PERIOD.

    The reason protesters who blare loud horns and shout insults are removed is because they are using profanities and making excessively loud noise with a horn. Here is the definition of "Disturbing the peace".
    Disturbing the peace is a crime generally defined as the unsettling of proper order in a public space through one's actions. This can include creating loud noise by fighting or challenging to fight, disturbing others by loud and unreasonable noise (including loud music or dog barking), or using offensive words or insults likely to incite violence.
    The people at these protests may have often been rude, but very few of them fall under this category. Democrats have tried to label every person in attendance as angry mobs and radical conservatives (even though there were liberals complaining about the removal of single-payer healthcare).

    I understand what you are trying to say, but the fact is your sentiments are just not correct, legally or logically.
    Last edited by Lakryte; 08-07-09 at 04:42 PM.

  6. #266
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm
    I have seen far too much shouting down, disrespect, etc, occur at discussions and public meetings...
    People do need to learn how to speak, and how to properly conduct themselves..
    but then you say this:
    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm
    I suspect that "Libertarians" would like to see health care regressed to that of 200 years ago, when the rich could have a doctor close at hand and the poor would just die...

  7. #267
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    Like I said before, no. It is not against the law in anyway. This "intent" issue you are talking about has absolutely no legal bearing.
    Intent & motive have a tremendous amount of legal importance. If you kill someone accidentally the charge will probably be involuntary manslaughter. If your INTENTION was to kill someone, that same killing may well be deemed first degree murder.
    Last edited by Devil505; 08-07-09 at 04:50 PM.

  8. #268
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    Intent & motive have a tremendous amount of legal importance. If you kill someone accidentally the charge will probably be involuntary manslaughter. If your INTENTION was to kill someone, that same killing may well be deemed first degree murder.
    I am not talking about murder. I am talking about this free speech issue you are talking about. I did not say that intent never matters. I only said the intent you were talking about doesn't matter. Which is why I said that:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte
    This "intent" issue you are talking about has absolutely no legal bearing.
    If the intent is to stop someone else from talking it doesn't matter. That isn't illegal.

    Have you nothing else to respond to in my entire post? Is that the only thing you could argue against? If so I will only assume you agree with me.
    Last edited by Lakryte; 08-07-09 at 05:00 PM.

  9. #269
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    What you are saying really makes little sense. The whole point of a protest is to display opposition against something. Whether they display this opposition by yelling and shouting or peacefully holding signs really doesn't matter; they have a right to do it.
    Wrong.no one has a right to commit the crime of disturbing the peace or disorderly conduct...Those are crimes.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    The fact is that yelling loudly so somebody else cannot get their point out is not illegal or against free speech. Rude, yes. But it is not in anyway illegal. PERIOD.
    People are arrested every day for those crimes if they are deemed to be disturbing the peace. (Last time on this point....I'm not asking you to agree with me, it's a free country)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    The reason protesters who blare loud horns and shout insults are removed is because they are using profanities and making excessively loud noise with a horn. Here is the definition of "Disturbing the peace".

    The people at these protests may have often been rude, but very few of them fall under this category. Democrats have tried to label every person in attendance as angry mobs and radical conservatives (even though there were liberals complaining about the removal of single-payer healthcare).

    I understand what you are trying to say, but the fact is your sentiments are just not correct, legally or logically.
    The decision for arrest is a totally subjective thing, up to the police officers on the scene. You cannot possibly make a blanket statement saying the peace was not disturbed in the eyes of the police. I've watched some tapes & I would arrest some of thuse protesters in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Devil505; 08-07-09 at 05:02 PM.

  10. #270
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    I have seen far too much shouting down, disrespect, etc, occur at discussions and public meetings...
    People do need to learn how to speak, and how to properly conduct themselves..
    If they cannot or will not do this , then some good sealing tape across the mouth and a straight jacket are in order.
    Both political parties do this and should be ashamed of themselves.
    I'll meet you half way on this, if there is true anger, it will come out, that is the nature of protest, but if a party does it out of spite or to show up the other party, then yes they should be ashamed, here is the problem, politics and shame haven't been compatible for years now and if one side does it the other side will retaliate, it's not an excuse, it's human nature.

    I suspect that "Libertarians" would like to see health care regressed to that of 200 years ago, when the rich could have a doctor close at hand and the poor would just die...
    That's not completely accurate, in those days medicine was limited in it's advancements(just being honest), but it was also a market with much less interference, anyone could afford medical care because it was inexpensive, we have gotten to a point in our country where everyone from the AMA to trial lawyers to the government has interfered with the natural market mechanisms and turned this system into a bloated money eating cancer(play on words not intended)
    I say its about time we joined the rest of the civilized world and had health care for all, as a right, but limited, of course..
    No, we lead the civilized world by trimming off those parts that make medicine expensive, we let it work as a service, like it should, and we bring down costs naturally the right way so that people could pay out of pocket without incurring financial ruin, that is the best way, not giving the government complete control and in fact taking back the controls it should not have.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •