View Poll Results: Should protesters be allowed to curb free speech in this country?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Protests are protected by the Constitution.

    36 63.16%
  • No. If protesters stop free speech, they should be removed by police.

    20 35.09%
  • If fake protesters & their masters should be prosecuted.

    12 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 425

Thread: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    This whole topic is completely ridiculous. What exactly did the protesters do that made it impossible for anyone to exercise free speech? Could you give a video or something as evidence?

    And I am completely baffled that people actually think these protests and town hall meetings were somehow orchestrated by republican extremists. I have seen clips of a man demanding single payer healthcare. This isn't fake. There is absolutely no proof it is fake.

    Anyone who dismisses these protests as fake is either knowingly lying about them or blatantly ignorant.

    Off topic response.
    The topic is "what if" & repeated efforts to derail it will not work.

  2. #182
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post

    Off topic response.
    The topic is "what if" & repeated efforts to derail it will not work.
    Off topic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505
    Since I & many others feel that the shouting protest at many health care rallies is being orchestrated,
    You made the first argument right there in the main post! It is not off topic whatsoever. I simply refuted it. If you have no valid response I understand. But to say my post was off topic when it debated something YOU said in the original post is as ridiculous as the notion of this topic in the first place.

    And you ignored the rest of my post. Even if these protests are fake (which is completely false) they aren't illegal period. You didn't answer my question or give evidence. You simply picked on line and then labeled my whole response Off Topic.

    And if you are using Robert Gibbs suspicions to back up your claims...
    Last edited by Lakryte; 08-06-09 at 07:33 PM.

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    This whole topic is completely ridiculous.
    I disagree & it would appear that roughly 1/2 of the poll responders also agree that protesters should not be allowed to prevent the free speech of their neighbors from being heard.

    View Poll Results: Should protesters be allowed to curb free speech in this country?

    Yes. Protests are protected by the Constitution. 12 60.00%

    No. If protesters stop free speech, they should be removed by police. 7 35.00%

    If fake protesters & their masters should be prosecuted. 4 20.00%
    Last edited by Devil505; 08-06-09 at 07:34 PM.

  4. #184
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    I disagree & it would appear that 1/2 of the poll responders also agree that protesters should not be allowed to prevent the free speech of their neighbors from being heard.

    View Poll Results: Should protesters be allowed to curb free speech in this country?

    Yes. Protests are protected by the Constitution. 12 60.00%

    No. If protesters stop free speech, they should be removed by police. 7 35.00%

    If fake protesters & their masters should be prosecuted. 4 20.00%
    So now you are using your own poll as evidence...once again, can you please tell me how these protests were preventing free speech?

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,512

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    So now you are using your own poll as evidence...once again, can you please tell me how these protests were preventing free speech?

    (reprint from mod warning on page 17 of this thread

    Moderator's Warning:
    Going to say this once, to both sides.

    This thread is not talking about any specific event. Its the only reason its here, rather than conspiracy theories. If the continued attempts to either steer it towards a singular event, by either side, then action will be taken with the poster, the thread, or both.
    Last edited by Devil505; 08-06-09 at 07:41 PM.

  6. #186
    Educator sam_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-09 @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    724

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    This whole topic is completely ridiculous. What exactly did the protesters do that made it impossible for anyone to exercise free speech? Could you give a video or something as evidence?

    And I am completely baffled that people actually think these protests and town hall meetings were somehow orchestrated by republican extremists. I have seen clips of a man demanding single payer healthcare. This isn't fake. There is absolutely no proof it is fake.

    Anyone who dismisses these protests as fake is either knowingly lying about them or blatantly ignorant.

    Why is it that when conservatives protest (even though not all protesting were conservative) they are somehow going against free speech? Why is it that conservatives are "angry mobs" but people protesting conservatives are heroes? Are you completely blind to the double-standard you are taking part in?
    How dishonest and disingenuous of you to claim this. First off, recognize a rally for a rally, a street protest for a street protest, and a town hall meeting for a town hall meeting. When people show up to shout down at a meeting, this disrupts the conversation, which is the whole intention. God damn, stop lying through your teeth people. If a conservative wishes to attend a town hall to voice his opposition, nobody is against that or complaining about that. Do you get it? How many times does this need to be repeated before it gets into the thick skulls?

    If Republicans have a town hall meeting, and MoveOn.org attendees arrive to just shout and disrupt that is wrong as well, because the people in attendance have a right to assembly with their representatives which MoveOn would be attempting to squelch. But the issue we have here is that right wing groups have organized people to attend these town halls to disrupt, not engage in conversation, but to disrupt them so they can not be held as they are meant to. DO YOU FREAKING UNDERSTAND YET?

    If I attend a town hall meeting, I should expect that I have the right to voice my own opinion in addressing opposition or support for any subject. Yet if a group counter to this arrives to just shout and disrupt, they are in fact infringing on my right given to me.

  7. #187
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    reprint from mod warning on page 17 of this thread
    I find it hard to believe that this topic was intended to generally talk about fake protests when you cited a specific example of one and insinuated that it was fake...and then made this comment:
    The word "peaceably" is no less important than any other part, & the taped protests I saw were far from peaceable.
    but I will abide by the moderators wishes.

    The first amendment reads (I added bold and italics):
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    "Fake" protests are not illegal, even if they are fake. They don't go against the Constitution. Everyone has the right to free speech.
    If I attend a town hall meeting, I should expect that I have the right to voice my own opinion in addressing opposition or support for any subject. Yet if a group counter to this arrives to just shout and disrupt, they are in fact infringing on my right given to me.
    Yet you have no proof that the people attending the town hall meetings came for the purpose of shouting and disrupting them. I say many reasonable people ask reasonble questions. But I can't debate that on this topic, and neither can you, because this topic is not supposed to have anything to do with specific events.
    Last edited by Lakryte; 08-06-09 at 07:58 PM.

  8. #188
    Educator sam_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-09 @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    724

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    And I am completely baffled that people actually think these protests and town hall meetings were somehow orchestrated by republican extremists. I have seen clips of a man demanding single payer healthcare. This isn't fake. There is absolutely no proof it is fake.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy8i8FbVFyU"]YouTube - Rick Sanchez Grills CPR's Rick Scott[/ame]

    Care to lie more?

    Anti-Reform Group Takes Credit For Helping Gin Up Town Hall Rallies

    Conservatives for Patientsí Rights, the operation thatís running a national campaign against a public health care option, is now publicly taking credit for helping gin up the sometimes-rowdy outbursts targeting House Dems at town hall meetings around the country, raising questions about their spontaneity.

    CPR is the group headed by controversial former hospitals exec Rick Scott thatís spending millions on ads attacking reform in all sorts of lurid ways, a campaign thatís being handled by the same P.R. mavens behind the Swift Boat Vets.
    FYI, Rick Scott, the fraudster

    I suppose you can also ignore Bob MacGuffie and his leaked memo "Rocking the Town Halls: Best Practices". Pretty much spelled right there for you the tactics that will be used. And look at the date.....

  9. #189
    Educator sam_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-09 @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    724

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    "Fake" protests are not illegal, even if they are fake. They don't go against the Constitution. Everyone has the right to free speech.
    You may be right, but these are still dishonest actions. Funny how the organizers admit what is going on, yet the dittoheads don't.

    Although I am curious; if a group goes to intentionally shut down a townhall meeting by protesting, is this not an infringement of my rights to assembly with my representatives?

    Funny, you would think if the Republican party was still a legitimate party they would have simply offered an opposing idea. I guess the fact they can offer no more ideas shows just how dead of a party they are.

  10. #190
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Should Orchestrated (fake) Protests Be Allowed To Hinder Free Speech?

    Care to lie more?
    How exactly did I lie? And one again we are not supposed to debate this issue on this topic.

Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •