View Poll Results: Would you vote for a Scientologist for president?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    30 54.55%
  • no

    16 29.09%
  • other

    9 16.36%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 78

Thread: Would you vote for this person?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Would you vote for this person?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The majority of Muslims, Jews and Christians as well as other religious groups aren't stupid crazy like Scientology.

    Scientology is a cult, it is more than regular fanatic crazy.

    The whole ideology of Scientology is ludicrous. You have to pay to advance in the religion. The cult also makes every attempt to pull anything, critical of Scientology, off of popular websites like youtube.
    WTF is your avatar?

  2. #32
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Would you vote for this person?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    WTF is your avatar?
    Robocop on a Unicorn.... it's pretty awesome
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #33
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,223

    Re: Would you vote for this person?

    Quote Originally Posted by laska View Post
    The idea is at least as logical as your belief that the body is a machine with no energy source. Its outside of current ability to test(as far as I know) either way. There is spiritual evidence that I accept and you think doesn't exist,
    I assumed most would know that what I meant by energy source was that the body is just a lifeless shell and that the spirit is what gives life to the body, its our thoughts, feelings, personality, the life in us. But I'm glad someone cleared up food and drink is an energy source.

  4. #34
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Would you vote for this person?

    Quote Originally Posted by partier9 View Post
    Ok lets say a guy runs for the presidency. His political beliefs are the exact same as yours, he was the governor of his state for 8 years in which the state prospered in. He is honest and trustworthy and basically great in every way.

    However for a religion he is a scientologist, would you vote for him?
    It is a load of crap to say religion shouldn't have any effect on whether or not you vote for someone. Because if a person is actually religious then his political views are shaped by his or her religious affiliation/devotion. You do not just kick your beliefs to the curb when you find it convenient contrary to what every atheist and person pretending to be religious claims. If this person was trustworthy and honest then he wouldn't phony pretending to be a Scientologist. Because honest and trustworthy people do not kick their religious beliefs to the curb for cheap votes. So it is dishonest to pretend his religious and his political views are separate if this person is truly honest and trustworthy. It is liars and other scum who pretend to be religious like Nancy Pelosi and other phonies who pretend to be catholic for cheap votes that separate their political and religious views. A candidate who actually shares the same exact political beliefs as mine would be a plus and remove whatever negativity I feel about that person's religion. Because despite him being a crazy cultist, it is far better than any of the other candidates. Lets see here... vote for someone who actually shares most of my political beliefs and will actually do or attempt to do what I want him to do once he gets into office or vote for someone who claims to share my religious beliefs or no religious beliefs at all while at the same time pretending to share my political beliefs and doing something completely opposite once he gets elected to office. I think the choice is the crazy cultist who will do what I want him to do or attempt to do what I want him to do once he gets elected.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #35
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Would you vote for this person?

    I might, I'd have to know a lot more about his religion. People foolishly think that this is due to prejudice. It is not.

    A religion represents many things, but one of them is a set of laws that the adherent sees as superior to all human laws. Voters should understand clearly what theat means in each case.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  6. #36
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Would you vote for this person?

    All religions involve faith and belief in the unseen. From the POV of a non-believer ALL religionists are nuts.

    A Scientologist is just a bit nuttier, if you go by popular opinion.

    Any Christian who looks down his nose at another religion is a snob.

    But we are not voting for Pope or for that person to be a religious leader. Leave their religious belief out of the consideration for POTUS.

    OBL 11/24/02

  7. #37
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,223

    Re: Would you vote for this person?

    Quote Originally Posted by galenrox View Post
    If you have a problem with him, the ignore option is available. If it's really getting under your skin, there's no problem in using it.

    I don't want to sound disrespectful, but it's difficult to understand what you're referring to when you say "a source of energy", as the only meaning of that which comes to mind is the scientific use of the word "energy", which comes from the breaking of molecular bonds, which is enabled by the consumption of food.

    I don't believe in a personified soul that continues on after the end of life, in that such a use of energy would lead to the eventual disappearance of everything. As all matter comes from energy and energy cannot be created nor destroyed, if there was any amount of energy which did not re-enter the system after the death of the human body, there would progressively be less and less matter until eventually nothing existed. I believe in God, but I don't personally believe in that.


    And logically the onus falls on the one making the claim. If one were to suggest that there is no such thing as a soul s/he would have the onus on him/herself. Similarly, in stating that there is a soul, you take the onus upon yourself. Subsequently, until you make a logical argument, the presumption is that your claim is without logical merit.

    If you have a problem with him, the ignore option is available. If it's really getting under your skin, there's no problem in using it.

    That's my bad. I know he has a right to respond on a public forum.

    I don't want to sound disrespectful, but it's difficult to understand what you're referring to when you say "a source of energy", as the only meaning of that which comes to mind is the scientific use of the word "energy", which comes from the breaking of molecular bonds, which is enabled by the consumption of food.

    I agree, I should have worded that better.

    I don't believe in a personified soul that continues on after the end of life, in that such a use of energy would lead to the eventual disappearance of everything. As all matter comes from energy and energy cannot be created nor destroyed, if there was any amount of energy which did not re-enter the system after the death of the human body, there would progressively be less and less matter until eventually nothing existed. I believe in God, but I don't personally believe in that.

    I may not quite understand you here. The spirit would be made up of a matter that has always existed, just as the body would be made up of matter that always existed. Both completely separate entities. The spirit would have existed before birth on the earth, and the matter of the body is star dust. At death the matter of the body would still exist just as the matter of the spirit.


    And logically the onus falls on the one making the claim. If one were to suggest that there is no such thing as a soul s/he would have the onus on him/herself. Similarly, in stating that there is a soul, you take the onus upon yourself. Subsequently, until you make a logical argument, the presumption is that your claim is without logical merit.

    Something can be logical without the ability to test for yet. I stated as far as I knew neither could be tested one way or the other based on the type of evidence we both accept(scientific). The other guy stated that he was logical also in believing the body has no soul, and sort of implied his side had the proof. I admit the type of evidence that my faith is built on, he does not accept. So shouldn't this be directed at him?



    Last edited by laska; 08-02-09 at 03:41 AM.

  8. #38
    Educator sam_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-09 @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    724

    Re: Would you vote for this person?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Read the history of Scientology for a deeper understanding of crazy.

    It was created by a very questionable person about 60 years ago.
    Yes, this was created by someone who said "You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion.'"

    Personally I would never vote for a Scientologist any more than I would vote for a Mormon. But then again I would also never vote for an extremely religious person of any faith be it Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Sikh, Zoroastrian, etc..

    Well I might vote for someone who worships the ancient Egyptian gods, because that would be funny.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Would you vote for this person?

    If he is a scientologist, then he is not honest and trustworthy, sorry.

    Anyone who believes that we live in a galactic confederacy that is 1 trillion years old, and that we must purchase devices from scientologists to detect the number of evil Thetans in our bodies, is clearly insane and should not be in a political leadership role.

    You might as well be telling me to vote for an evangelist. It would never happen.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Would you vote for this person?

    Quote Originally Posted by sam_w View Post
    Yes, this was created by someone who said "You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion.'"

    Personally I would never vote for a Scientologist any more than I would vote for a Mormon. But then again I would also never vote for an extremely religious person of any faith be it Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Sikh, Zoroastrian, etc..

    Well I might vote for someone who worships the ancient Egyptian gods, because that would be funny.
    Any believe level in Scientology is completely ridiculous.
    It's creator is just as suspect as Jim Jones or Charles Manson.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •