View Poll Results: What's your opinion of Affirmative Action in the college admissions process?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm in favor of affirmative action.

    9 13.64%
  • I don't think it should be used for criteria.

    52 78.79%
  • I have no opinion.

    1 1.52%
  • Other (please explain)

    4 6.06%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 127

Thread: Affirmative Action (in college admissions): Good idea or Bad idea.

  1. #71
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Affirmative Action (in college admissions): Good idea or Bad idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by OxymoronP View Post
    So if I put African American when I am not, they wont verify this?
    Will be kind of hard to not verify it when you go in for the standard interview. Remember any lying will normally automatically disqualify you. If however you just don't answer the question then......
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #72
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Affirmative Action (in college admissions): Good idea or Bad idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    What exactly are the obstacles?
    Poverty, prejudice, etc.

    By no means is race a perfect proxy for these things, but it's not a terrible one either. I would like to see an AA system based more on class and background, but race is still an important component.

    It's been my experiance that money determines how a patient is treated. Not their skin color.
    Which doesn't change the fact that many black patients feel more comfortable with black doctors, like individuals of all races do. Having an increased supply of black doctors increases health outcomes among that group.

    If it can do whatever it wants with it's money then why do they HAVE to diversify?
    Who said they have to?

    Are you under the assumption that schools use AA because the government is forcing them to?

    According to you. I would actually be interested to know what a bunch of white guys from Greenwhich would have to say.
    Trust me, they're boring.

    The point is that any homogenous group is relatively limited in its perspectives.

    May not be as effective but it would still help. And be alot better than forcing what is in essence a company to take someone that they ordinarily would not take.
    Again, nobody forces these schools to do anything. This is a pretty important point.

    I notice you didn't comment on my "life learning" comment. Why?
    I don't know what you're trying to say. You're right that people will learn their whole life, but it's important to start early.

    No it doesn't. They can still work hard, but having something handed to you is still not as good as earning something for yourself. Earning something for yourself not only teaches you how to accomplish something, but it also teaches you self responsibility instead of reliance on someone else to get the job done.
    Again, you're operating from the assumption that people benefitting from AA are not working hard already and are just having things handed to them.

    This may come as a surprise, but AA is not as huge of a boost as one might think. The average black student getting into Harvard Med School with an AA boost is not a moron. They busted their ass and would have gotten into a good med school (if not Harvard) even without the boost.

    This assumes racism. You are in effect here saying that two wrongs equal a right. In other words it's bad to deny someone a job because of they are one race, but it is ok to accept someone because of them being another different race. IE a contradiciton. Sorry but you can't have one without contradicting yourself in the face of the other. But you can be against both.
    It's not an assumption, it's a reality.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #73
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Affirmative Action (in college admissions): Good idea or Bad idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Why should a question of what race you are even be on ANY aplication?
    For all the reasons we've been discussing for the past 100 posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by OxymoronP View Post
    So if I put African American when I am not, they wont verify this?
    They're not going to ask for a blood test. They'll likely check it against your college applications and the records from your high school if there's any doubt. If you've lied, you're out.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  4. #74
    Professor
    OxymoronP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heart in Brooklyn, body South of Dixie
    Last Seen
    08-23-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Affirmative Action (in college admissions): Good idea or Bad idea.

    They'll likely check it against your college applications and the records from your high school if there's any doubt. If you've lied, you're out.
    I can claim I found out my thirteen uncle on my mothers side is half Indian half Iriqous and a quater Australian Aborigines.


    THE GREATEST FREEDOM IS THE FREEDOM TO OPPRESS OTHERS

  5. #75
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Affirmative Action (in college admissions): Good idea or Bad idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by OxymoronP View Post
    I can claim I found out my thirteen uncle on my mothers side is half Indian half Iriqous and a quater Australian Aborigines.
    Cool, good luck with that.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Affirmative Action (in college admissions): Good idea or Bad idea.

    Ah, the old illegal "what's your race" question.

    I checked "other" and when pressed for an explanation, wrote "celtic". The Celts suffered a prolonged period of racism and discrimination in this country, but managed to overcome the disadvantage of being from Ireland by forcing the government to grant us special favors and dispensations....no wait, my ancestors overcame adversity by kicking ass and being better.

    What a strange and totally unamerican idea that's become.

  7. #77
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Affirmative Action (in college admissions): Good idea or Bad idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Ah, the old illegal "what's your race" question.

    I checked "other" and when pressed for an explanation, wrote "celtic". The Celts suffered a prolonged period of racism and discrimination in this country, but managed to overcome the disadvantage of being from Ireland by forcing the government to grant us special favors and dispensations....no wait, my ancestors overcame adversity by kicking ass and being better.

    What a strange and totally unamerican idea that's become.
    And if individual employers back in the 20's had wanted to hire celtic people because they thought they had been treated unjustly and were capable of adding value in the workplace despite the fact that they might have not had as strong skills on paper, I'm sure your ancestors would have been incredibly offended and would have accused the employers of being racist.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  8. #78
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Affirmative Action (in college admissions): Good idea or Bad idea.

    Race should have nothing to do with anything. It should be done fairly and evenly across the board.

    I wish the government would give minority's a chance to prove ourselves on an equal playing field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #79
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Affirmative Action (in college admissions): Good idea or Bad idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    If we ask ourselves why we're stuck with Affirmative Action, we discover that enough politicians sold out to buy minority votes to make it happen.

    That's why.

    It is a racist program in complete violation of the Fourteenth Amendment's guarantee of equal protection before the law.
    True, but all politics is that way. That inherently doesn't make it right or wrong.
    Just because SS is a good idea, and politicians should be awarded for supporing that, another reason for a politicans to protect SS it is still because it gives them elderly support.

    Supporing economic AA would of course gain poor votes (many of them who are minorities). It would at least make more sense to the people that it wasn't benefiting though.

    And I agree that racial AA violated the Fourteenth Amendment. It can be argued otherwise, but i don't believe that my form of AA would be a simillar violation for state schools.

  10. #80
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Affirmative Action (in college admissions): Good idea or Bad idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Ah, the old illegal "what's your race" question.

    I checked "other" and when pressed for an explanation, wrote "celtic". The Celts suffered a prolonged period of racism and discrimination in this country, but managed to overcome the disadvantage of being from Ireland by forcing the government to grant us special favors and dispensations....no wait, my ancestors overcame adversity by kicking ass and being better.

    What a strange and totally unamerican idea that's become.
    thats a good point, but immigrants from Europe normally had more education (proportional to normal Americans) then immigration from Latin Americas.

    Even though I disagree with the idea that people should overcome all social obstacles themselves without government help, if people did do that... then America would be a much better place.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •