Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Are we getting what we need from education in America?

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    09-23-16 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,420
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are we getting what we need from education in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by pro-bipartisan View Post
    Sorry I had to get that out of my system, now I'll contribute to the conversation.

    I think the problem with education is the following:

    - Students aren't being motivatedIMO, they can be easily urged to do better...where are the parents.
    - We have poor quality when it comes to teachersAn untrue generalized statement; but some teachers, students, parents, administrators should go...but who determines this ???
    - Not enough funding for some schoolsMany "poor" schools
    - What is being taught
    - The long gap in between school years with minimal work so students for got a lot of things
    Of course education needs reform, costs will increase, the wealthy conservatives Republicans do not want this... all they seem to want is tax cuts... Maybe we should try this; what if RL and his RNC are right ?
    Cut most, if not all of the social programs.
    Return to the nineteenth century.
    reduce the taxes to just 10% for all...
    And see want ensues..
    And this can be done with respecting states rights...that would be a new one.

    The wife and I am on Social Security, about 6 to 7% of this goes to pay taxes..

  2. #22
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    09-23-16 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,420
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are we getting what we need from education in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    I'm sorry, but that is crap. Of course teachers are interested in keeping their jobs, who isn't. Most teachers are doing that job because they want to in spite of the fact that they are underpaid, overworked and not respected.
    Does anyone believe this ?
    We need some teachers here to comment, not grade school pupils.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    02-12-11 @ 11:32 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    939

    Re: Are we getting what we need from education in America?

    - Students aren't being motivated IMO, they can be easily urged to do better...where are the parents.- We have poor quality when it comes to teachers An untrue generalized statement; but some teachers, students, parents, administrators should go...but who determines this ???- Not enough funding for some schools Many "poor" schools
    - What is being taught
    - The long gap in between school years with minimal work so students for got a lot of things

    1. Yes, I know.
    2. How can you say it's an untrue generalized statement? How is what you say any truer than what I say?
    3. Who determines if a school is poor or not?

  4. #24
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    09-16-16 @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,439
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are we getting what we need from education in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Does anyone believe this ?
    We need some teachers here to comment, not grade school pupils.
    I am a teacher. I have been for 17 years. Was the grade school comment supposed to be some sort of insult?
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  5. #25
    Sporadic insanity normal.

    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,109

    Re: Are we getting what we need from education in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    I'm sorry, but that is crap. Of course teachers are interested in keeping their jobs, who isn't. Most teachers are doing that job because they want to in spite of the fact that they are underpaid, overworked and not respected.
    I was not specifically targeting teachers. Thus, the "at all levels" part.

    I was thinking of higher education as well.

    However, there is something wrong with our public school system, IMO. Perhaps not in all areas, and perhaps not with even most teachers.

    But SOMETHING is wrong.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #26
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    09-16-16 @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,439
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are we getting what we need from education in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I was not specifically targeting teachers. Thus, the "at all levels" part.

    I was thinking of higher education as well.

    However, there is something wrong with our public school system, IMO. Perhaps not in all areas, and perhaps not with even most teachers.

    But SOMETHING is wrong.
    I don't deny that there are problems with our education system but placing the blame on the teachers is ludicrous. Teachers have very little control over the system.
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  7. #27
    Sporadic insanity normal.

    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,109

    Re: Are we getting what we need from education in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    I don't deny that there are problems with our education system but placing the blame on the teachers is ludicrous. Teachers have very little control over the system.
    I don't think teachers are exclusively to blame.

    But I do think that some, even if only a few, are at least partially to blame.

    And a point I wonder about...

    How can teachers have so little control over the system? Are they not, for the most part, members of a teachers union? I admit, there are probably a bunch of ways people could exert control over them, but I do not know what they are.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    02-12-11 @ 11:32 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    939

    Re: Are we getting what we need from education in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    I don't deny that there are problems with our education system but placing the blame on the teachers is ludicrous. Teachers have very little control over the system.
    Placing the blame on teachers is not ludicrous at all. A big part of if students learn is how the teacher teaches. For example, in my first semester math class my teacher was boring and just lectured the whole time while my second semester teacher did interactive things and I learned a lot more.

  9. #29
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    09-16-16 @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,439
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are we getting what we need from education in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I don't think teachers are exclusively to blame.

    But I do think that some, even if only a few, are at least partially to blame.

    And a point I wonder about...

    How can teachers have so little control over the system? Are they not, for the most part, members of a teachers union? I admit, there are probably a bunch of ways people could exert control over them, but I do not know what they are.
    All teachers are not union members and I'm not and most of the teachers I know are not. Teachers do not have control because they don't make the big decisions that affect education. That is done by politicians and school boards - who for the most part have no knowledge about how to teach. School administrators also have a great deal more control over the system.

    I don't deny that there are poor teachers out there but they are the exception rather than the rule.
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    02-12-11 @ 11:32 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    939

    Re: Are we getting what we need from education in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    All teachers are not union members and I'm not and most of the teachers I know are not. Teachers do not have control because they don't make the big decisions that affect education. That is done by politicians and school boards - who for the most part have no knowledge about how to teach. School administrators also have a great deal more control over the system.

    I don't deny that there are poor teachers out there but they are the exception rather than the rule.
    A big thing of learning is how you teach though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •