View Poll Results: Should Congress create an amendment to get rid of the Electoral College?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 39.22%
  • No

    22 43.14%
  • Yes, but it could never get passed.

    6 11.76%
  • I have no opinion.

    3 5.88%
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 232

Thread: Amendment to get rid of the Electoral College?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    02-12-11 @ 11:32 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    939

    Re: Amendment to get rid of the Electoral College?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    No because populism and an even purer democracy is horrible to freedom and liberty.

    The Electoral College is more preferable.
    So you don't want the person with the most votes to win? Then why have a democracy? Do you think there should be an electoral college to elect governors too?

  2. #22
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Amendment to get rid of the Electoral College?

    I agree with both of you, to a point. Elections, at least recent ones have shown the same result either way. But, I feel that if the electoral college were done away with, more people would vote. This is both good and bad. Usual election turn-out is 42% on good year presidental campaigns. If more people turned out, then you would see the coastal states reign supreme. The founders wanted the electoral college because they feared that if more populous states silenced the smaller one's, which would be the case with red vs. blue states, then succession might occur. Imagine that voter turnout reached 70%. If Democrats continuously won the White House, conservatives would eventually grow so distraught that the Union would surely be endangered.

    Do you guys find a reason why this should not be a fear in 2009?

  3. #23
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,241
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Amendment to get rid of the Electoral College?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    So you would want densely populated states to decided laws for your state? The system isn't perfect but its much better than NewYork,California and other densely populated states trying to decided gun laws,hunting laws,abortion and etc for my state.
    I believe the majority should win period, even if I do not agree with them.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    02-12-11 @ 11:32 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    939

    Re: Amendment to get rid of the Electoral College?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    So you would want densely populated states to decided laws for your state? The system isn't perfect but its much better than NewYork,California and other densely populated states trying to decided gun laws,hunting laws,abortion and etc for my state.
    Abortion is a state issue so New York wouldn't decide Nebraska's abortion laws.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Amendment to get rid of the Electoral College?

    Should it be reformed? Yes. Should it be done away with completely? No.

  6. #26
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Amendment to get rid of the Electoral College?

    Quote Originally Posted by pro-bipartisan View Post
    Abortion is a state issue so New York wouldn't decide Nebraska's abortion laws.
    It may be a State issue in theory, but North Dakota tried to ban it and the Supreme Court slapped them down.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    02-12-11 @ 11:32 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    939

    Re: Amendment to get rid of the Electoral College?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    I agree with both of you, to a point. Elections, at least recent ones have shown the same result either way. But, I feel that if the electoral college were done away with, more people would vote. This is both good and bad. Usual election turn-out is 42% on good year presidental campaigns. If more people turned out, then you would see the coastal states reign supreme. The founders wanted the electoral college because they feared that if more populous states silenced the smaller one's, which would be the case with red vs. blue states, then succession might occur. Imagine that voter turnout reached 70%. If Democrats continuously won the White House, conservatives would eventually grow so distraught that the Union would surely be endangered.

    Do you guys find a reason why this should not be a fear in 2009?
    I think political realignment periods will continue to happen so you can't say coastal states will vote Democratic forever.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    02-12-11 @ 11:32 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    939

    Re: Amendment to get rid of the Electoral College?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    It may be a State issue in theory, but North Dakota tried to ban it and the Supreme Court slapped them down.
    Do you remember what the case's name was? It seems like an interesting case.

  9. #29
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Amendment to get rid of the Electoral College?

    Quote Originally Posted by pro-bipartisan View Post
    I think political realignment periods will continue to happen so you can't say coastal states will vote Democratic forever.
    You may be right, but urban areas tend to remain progressive.

  10. #30
    Hi
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    26,288

    Re: Amendment to get rid of the Electoral College?

    Quote Originally Posted by pro-bipartisan View Post
    So you don't want the person with the most votes to win? Then why have a democracy? Do you think there should be an electoral college to elect governors too?
    Democracy, even in elections, in an extremist ideology that has effectively proven itself not to work in the best interests of the citizens that use it.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •