View Poll Results: What's next for the United States?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • More rigorous and extensive manned exploration of moon.

    20 52.63%
  • Permanent lunar colonies

    17 44.74%
  • Construction of "O'Neill" habitats.

    6 15.79%
  • Mars exploration with goal of colonization.

    21 55.26%
  • Asteroidal/comet exploitation?

    11 28.95%
  • Other

    10 26.32%
  • Nothing. Abandon space to the robots.

    7 18.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 108

Thread: Space Goals For America: What Next?

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 05:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Space Goals For America: What Next?

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twuScTcDP_Q"]YouTube - "Moon" - Official Trailer [HQ][/ame]

  2. #92
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,971

    Re: Space Goals For America: What Next?

    More than that . . .

    A society which builds robots to everything is an inward-looking, stagnant one.

    Robots free people to do . . . what? Watch TV?
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Space Goals For America: What Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Did the Pilgrims make the taxpayers back home foot the bill? And were they the first ones to do what they did? No?
    Work on your relevance arguments, you ain't got none. You're aguing against the irrelevant details of a metaphor that shattered your argument.

    What should I have done, named Columbus instead? Would that make you happier?

    Should Magellan have waited for the invention of the Boeing 747 before partially circumnavigating the world (gotta say it that way, some clown might point out the fact that Magellan didn't make it all the way around.)

  4. #94
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,971

    Re: Space Goals For America: What Next?

    Well, the argument that in 20 years (or however long) we'll have the technology to go to Mars, without ever actually, you know, trying to develop the technology to go to Mars, is asinine on its face.
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Space Goals For America: What Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Well, the argument that in 20 years (or however long) we'll have the technology to go to Mars, without ever actually, you know, trying to develop the technology to go to Mars, is asinine on its face.
    Yeah, for some reason I can't figure out a way to conjure up an Apollo Command Service Module from a dedicated effort to create a video cassette recorder.

    Getting a VCR from the research to build the CSM seems plausible, though.

    Ya think he's going to refute my statement by telling us that the essentials of the VCR predate Werner von Braun's work on the V-2?

  6. #96
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Space Goals For America: What Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Any society that develops robotics to the point where robots are replacing humans on thte frontiers is a society that will be using those machines to be their slaves at home. Why deal with a nosy maid when a robot will do everything you want it to without having an opinion?

    Societies that rely on slave labor decay and die.
    Well whether you like it or not, our technology is heading toward robots playing more and more of a role in our everyday lives...and they're already dominant in space exploration.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #97
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Space Goals For America: What Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    More than that . . .

    A society which builds robots to everything is an inward-looking, stagnant one.
    Really? How are you defining "robot" in this context? Do you have an example of such a society, and can you prove that having technology caused it to become stagnant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw
    Robots free people to do . . . what? Watch TV?
    Why build backhoes...we'll just put ditch diggers out of work.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #98
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,971

    Re: Space Goals For America: What Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Yeah, for some reason I can't figure out a way to conjure up an Apollo Command Service Module from a dedicated effort to create a video cassette recorder.

    Getting a VCR from the research to build the CSM seems plausible, though.

    Ya think he's going to refute my statement by telling us that the essentials of the VCR predate Werner von Braun's work on the V-2?
    Well, it's similar to what you say.

    "We shouldn't cross the Atlantic until we have the technology to build the QE2."

    But why would anyone develop the technology to build the QE2 unless they're planning to cross the ocean?

    Some developments are application-specific. There's no earthly analogy to sending men to another planet, no offshoot of some other project, so you have to tackle that specific problem to develop the technology to get it done. To do it, you have to want it. Or it won't get done.
    Last edited by Harshaw; 07-27-09 at 01:33 PM.
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

  9. #99
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:53 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    21,971

    Re: Space Goals For America: What Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Really? How are you defining "robot" in this context? Do you have an example of such a society, and can you prove that having technology caused it to become stagnant?

    Why build backhoes...we'll just put ditch diggers out of work.
    Nice try, but not the same thing at all. The question is far more deeply philosophical than you seem to be grasping. I'm not worried about putting people out of work. It's about having a purpose in life, about moving forward.
    2001-2008: Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    2009-2016: Dissent is the highest form of racism.
    2017-? (Probably): Dissent is the highest form of misogyny.

  10. #100
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Space Goals For America: What Next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Work on your relevance arguments, you ain't got none. You're aguing against the irrelevant details of a metaphor that shattered your argument.

    What should I have done, named Columbus instead? Would that make you happier?

    Should Magellan have waited for the invention of the Boeing 747 before partially circumnavigating the world (gotta say it that way, some clown might point out the fact that Magellan didn't make it all the way around.)
    Columbus and Magellan received taxpayer money because a government saw a tangible benefit - a new trade route with Asia - in funding them. There is no comparable benefit to going to Mars and planting a flag.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •