View Poll Results: Do you ever knowingly break the law?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I break a law now and then.

    53 91.38%
  • No - I never break a law even if I do not agree with it.

    5 8.62%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 80

Thread: Do you ever knowingly break the law?

  1. #61
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    08-06-16 @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,668
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you ever knowingly break the law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I don't think anyone with any smarts wants to admit to anything here more drastic than a little speeding. Not on an open Internet forum.
    I'll admit to doing all sorts of things more drastic than a little speeding. I just refuse to specify what they are.

  2. #62
    Mod Apologist

    missypea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,152

    Re: Do you ever knowingly break the law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    Do you ever knowingly break the law because you do not agree with that particular law?


    Not really, at least nothing is coming to mind. I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to laws/rules.


    But I do try to change laws/rules if I don't agree with them.




    I would chat with her when I'm feeling particularly snarky, but I wouldn't ever call her on the phone.

  3. #63
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,513

    Re: Do you ever knowingly break the law?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    I like to scream "FIRE" in the movie theater. It's a stupid law anyways!

    So THAT's what I've been doing wrong!

    I was wondering why everybody looked at me funny and then ignored me, when I went into the firehouse and screamed "MOVIE!"

    I had the silly thing in reverse...

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #64
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: Do you ever knowingly break the law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    So THAT's what I've been doing wrong!

    I was wondering why everybody looked at me funny and then ignored me, when I went into the firehouse and screamed "MOVIE!"

    I had the silly thing in reverse...
    joke repetition fail.

    (see post 55)

  5. #65
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,056

    Re: Do you ever knowingly break the law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Tomorrow...I'll J-walk...that's right, I said it, WTF are you gonna do about it?
    J-walking, now thats a retarded law.

    So retarded, cops do it every day on their way from the Police Headquarters to the court in downtown.

    And they encourage other citizens around them to do it too if the steupid walk sign is not switching with zero cars visible by the human eye.

    (I spelled steupid wrong on purpose).

  6. #66
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,056

    Re: Do you ever knowingly break the law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Yeah, but I hate whiners who are willing to break laws and then bitch about the consequences of breaking those laws. If you believe in it enough to break the law, you should willingly accept the consequences.

    I break the law because I felt it needed breaking, not because I think I can or should be able to avoid the consequences.
    Agreeeed.

    Whats more funny is when someone tells me I am ruining their life because they are being arrested.

    Im like, last time I checked if you weren't the one doing this then you wouldn't be getting arrested, YOU are ruining YOUR life.

    People who blame cops for what they are doing wrong are lame.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,056

    Re: Do you ever knowingly break the law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Fight the law, not the punishment.
    ....unless your from the south, and 'the law' is actually a euphemism for the police. Then I wouldn't recommend fighting 'the law'. Its a good way to get your ass beat.

    On a serious note though, its not the police you should have issue with when dealing with a retarded law, its the legislators. You know, those people that are sometimes referred to as 'lawmakers'
    Last edited by Caine; 07-13-09 at 05:43 PM.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22,056

    Re: Do you ever knowingly break the law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    If I break a law, it's because it's convenient and easy. It's NOT because I disagree with it. Disagreement with a law, in my view, is a dumb excuse for ignoring it. If we only paid attention to the laws we agreed with, laws would fail to carry any weight.
    I agree with this too.

    I'll admit I break laws, alot of times laws are broken due to laziness or forgetfulness, or inattention, or convenience.

    I don't go out thinking of stupid laws I don't like and break them just because I don't agree with them, thats just dumb.

  9. #69
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    02-16-16 @ 04:40 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you ever knowingly break the law?

    I don’t believe in "the law." Its not my religion. Whether a law was broken is not always a clear-cut question anyway. There also is a difference between personal behavior regulating laws (traffic, drugs) that I tend to ignore limiting myself only on questions of what I can get away with and laws related to offenses against other people (theft, violence) where laws on violence are not precise.

    I was arrested or detained many times for assault type issues before my life changed notably. No convictions. The line between defense and offense can be blurred. When does legal defense shift to illegal offense? If you are defending yourself or someone else from assault how far can that defense go? For example if a person tries to hit you how many times can you hit the person in defense? 1? 5? 50? Can you break bones? If so, how many? Does the abilities of the people involve matter and if so how much?

    Some people would underestimate me and over estimate themselves possibly due to being drunk or drugged up. Does that factor into it?

    If defending someone else does it matter who that person is? For example defending a child or a woman from violence as opposed to some drunk getting in my face?

    Usually the police would not become involved but if they did it could be complicated. The longest I was held in jail was for my response to a man at a C-store violently abusing a child. It was all on the store video. They wouldn’t release me until they knew if he was going to live and for the most part recover. But why would that make a difference on guilt or innocence?

    The interviewing police all agreed I was within my rights and even acted correctly in defense of the child. Not one of them could answer the question of at what moment on the video did my action become legally questionable. Did it really matter that seemingly that whimpy child abuser had no chance against me even if I was blindfolded and had one arm tied behind my back? Was I really defending that child or dishing out just retribution? If a person pulls strength from personal rage does that rage then convert a legal action to criminal? Can you really build a criminal case around speculating what a person’s true motives were? Almost all their questions were about what I was thinking and how I felt about it. Only a fool would answer those questions.

    I’ve had that discussion with police and the only answer they can give is the abstract answer of “reasonable.” This is an example of the huge discretion police have and that criminal law isn’t as absolute as people tend to think it is. They never had a problem with a violent response. Only with the extent of the violent response. Other times its not clear what happened to police because of conflicting stories people were telling. Ultimately the question always came down to whether the police officers actually involved wanted to arrest or prosecute or not. On occasion they decided to arrest but then always decided not to prosecute.

    I wouldn’t be a good person on a jury for how juries now are suppose to work because my decision would be on what I thought is right and wrong and not on “the law.” The law is about government power and not me. “The law” never protected me or anyone I know so I would see no reason to protect the law.

  10. #70
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: Do you ever knowingly break the law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    ....unless your from the south, and 'the law' is actually a euphemism for the police. Then I wouldn't recommend fighting 'the law'. Its a good way to get your ass beat.

    On a serious note though, its not the police you should have issue with when dealing with a retarded law, its the legislators. You know, those people that are sometimes referred to as 'lawmakers'
    Point taken. I meant it as in the "rule of law", not the pi... er... cops.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •