View Poll Results: Should politicians be required by law to read the bill themselves before signing them

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    87 87.88%
  • No

    12 12.12%
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 153

Thread: Should politicians be required by law to read the bill themselves before signing them

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    02-12-11 @ 12:32 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    939

    Re: Should politicians be required by law to read the bill themselves before signing

    Quote Originally Posted by BoyKagome View Post
    It's their job to read a bill and make a decision that is best suited to help the American people while following the constitution. If they have not read the bill, then how can they know if they are making a decision based on their job description? Maybe the more important question is shouldn't a bill in it's final form have a full week to be reviewed before it can be voted on?
    Your absolutely right but this idea could never be put into law and be enforced.

  2. #82
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should politicians be required by law to read the bill themselves before signing

    Quote Originally Posted by pro-bipartisan View Post
    Your absolutely right but this idea could never be put into law and be enforced.
    You are probably correct all tho it could be. A simple test given to all on each issue prior to voting. If they do not know enough about what is in the bill then they can not vote on said bill.

    Most of the crap that goes threw washington is just BS and favors anyway. Cut out the BS and they should have plenty of time to actually read all bills that are important.

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    02-12-11 @ 12:32 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    939

    Re: Should politicians be required by law to read the bill themselves before signing

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    You are probably correct all tho it could be. A simple test given to all on each issue prior to voting. If they do not know enough about what is in the bill then they can not vote on said bill.

    Most of the crap that goes threw washington is just BS and favors anyway. Cut out the BS and they should have plenty of time to actually read all bills that are important.
    A test? Who would administer the test? Who would create it?

  4. #84
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should politicians be required by law to read the bill themselves before signing

    Quote Originally Posted by pro-bipartisan View Post
    A test? Who would administer the test? Who would create it?
    The authors of the bill perhaps.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    02-12-11 @ 12:32 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    939

    Re: Should politicians be required by law to read the bill themselves before signing

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    The authors of the bill perhaps.
    Good idea but the only problem may be that the author just asks questions about the best part of the bill not the not-so-good part that maybe other people won't like.

  6. #86
    Advisor FlappyTheKinkajou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-09 @ 07:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    406

    Re: Should politicians be required by law to read the bill themselves before signing

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    The authors of the bill perhaps.
    Let me quiz you a little bit. Who authors bills?
    Let's figure it out.

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    02-12-11 @ 12:32 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    939

    Re: Should politicians be required by law to read the bill themselves before signing

    Quote Originally Posted by FlappyTheKinkajou View Post
    Let me quiz you a little bit. Who authors bills?
    I think he means the Congressman who introduces it but good point.

  8. #88
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should politicians be required by law to read the bill themselves before signing

    Quote Originally Posted by pro-bipartisan View Post
    You could look at previous comments or the rest of comment that you quoted but I'll repeat the problems with this idea again.

    1. Congress would never vote this in.
    2. It would take way too much time since there are a large number of bills that are hundreds of pages.
    3. The only ways to enforce this are too time consuming.

    Can people read more of a thread before they comment?
    Those are reasons why this might not work.

    That is not your explanation of "the system"

    Since you seem to know how the system works and remind the rest of us that we are ignorant of it.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    02-12-11 @ 12:32 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    939

    Re: Should politicians be required by law to read the bill themselves before signing

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Those are reasons why this might not work.

    That is not your explanation of "the system"

    Since you seem to know how the system works and remind the rest of us that we are ignorant of it.
    You still refuse to look at previous posts but ok. And by the way, what I listed was a result of how the government works.

    What I meant by the system is that the way the government works Congressmen aren't responsible and aren't held accountable; Congressmen will find loopholes to things they don't feel like complying with; Congressmen won't vote for a bill that doesn't do something for them.

    These are all obvious things I don't understand why it's so difficult for everyone who voted yes.

  10. #90
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Should politicians be required by law to read the bill themselves before signing

    Quote Originally Posted by pro-bipartisan View Post
    You still refuse to look at previous posts but ok. And by the way, what I listed was a result of how the government works.

    What I meant by the system is that the way the government works Congressmen aren't responsible and aren't held accountable; Congressmen will find loopholes to things they don't feel like complying with; Congressmen won't vote for a bill that doesn't do something for them.

    These are all obvious things I don't understand why it's so difficult for everyone who voted yes.
    The question was...

    "Should politicians be required by law to read the bill themselves before signing them?"

    I don't recall the word "can" inserted anywhere in there.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •