View Poll Results: Would you support a second stimulus package?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 7.50%
  • No

    68 85.00%
  • Not sure

    6 7.50%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 97

Thread: Would You Support a Second Stimulus Package?

  1. #21
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Would You Support a Second Stimulus Package?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Yea, another pork-filled monstrosity ought to do the trick. The last two have worked so splendidly.
    Doing a half-assed job and getting half-assed results doesn't mean that you should stop trying, it means you should do it right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal
    Let me ask you a question, when has a government stimulus plan ever been demonstrably successful at actually "stimulating" the economy?
    The Great Depression? World War II?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Would You Support a Second Stimulus Package?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Uhh "government spending" is pretty broad. Do you mean stimulus spending? One more stimulus, about the same size as the last one ought to do the trick. That's assuming it's as wasteful as the last one...if Congress actually limited itself to projects that actually stimulated the economy, another stimulus about HALF the size of the last one would be sufficient.
    And since you and I both know that is IMPOSSIBLE, will you being changing your position accordingly?

  3. #23
    Banned G.I. Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-09-09 @ 02:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    247

    Re: Would You Support a Second Stimulus Package?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Uhh "government spending" is pretty broad. Do you mean stimulus spending? One more stimulus, about the same size as the last one ought to do the trick. That's assuming it's as wasteful as the last one...if Congress actually limited itself to projects that actually stimulated the economy, another stimulus about HALF the size of the last one would be sufficient.
    Wow........Can you elaborate on what logic you're using to arrive at the opinion that one more "ought to do the trick". And while you're at it, can you explain how in the world the government would not be as wasteful this time around?

  4. #24
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Would You Support a Second Stimulus Package?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Let me ask you a question, when has a government stimulus plan ever been demonstrably successful at actually "stimulating" the economy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    The Great Depression? World War II?
    The New Deal made the Great Depression worse, not better, and postponed lasting recovery by several years.

    World War II was not stimulus, but an external increase in demand.

    Both times, you lose.

  5. #25
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Would You Support a Second Stimulus Package?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    And since you and I both know that is IMPOSSIBLE, will you being changing your position accordingly?
    Nope, I'd rather have a stimulus bill with some wasteful spending than no stimulus at all.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #26
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Would You Support a Second Stimulus Package?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    The New Deal made the Great Depression worse, not better, and postponed lasting recovery by several years.
    I see. Because you say so.

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord
    World War II was not stimulus, but an external increase in demand.
    An "external increase in demand"? What in the world is that? It was the world's GOVERNMENTS that were creating the increase in demand. How is that not a stimulus?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #27
    Guru
    Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    06-21-16 @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,962

    Re: Would You Support a Second Stimulus Package?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Uhh "government spending" is pretty broad. Do you mean stimulus spending? One more stimulus, about the same size as the last one ought to do the trick. That's assuming it's as wasteful as the last one...if Congress actually limited itself to projects that actually stimulated the economy, another stimulus about HALF the size of the last one would be sufficient.
    If the last two packages did not work, why would another with at least half of the funds of the first work? Where does that number from?
    "Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." -Ronald Reagan

  8. #28
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Would You Support a Second Stimulus Package?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I see. Because you say so.
    No, because economists say so. You really should research economics more than just reading the drivel Krugman posts in the New York Times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    An "external increase in demand"? What in the world is that? It was the world's GOVERNMENTS that were creating the increase in demand. How is that not a stimulus?
    The US was attacked. War came to America, not the other way around. The demand for soldiers was due to an external event (Pearl Harbor) not some militancy of the US government. The demand for weapons and war material was due to Britain's war with Germany and was greatly increased by Pearl Harbor.

    WWII was not an artificial stimulus, but a natural expansion of the need for government spending. War and blowing people to tiny bits are the main reasons we keep governments around.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Would You Support a Second Stimulus Package?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Doing a half-assed job and getting half-assed results doesn't mean that you should stop trying, it means you should do it right.
    A 787 billion dollar spending plan that got rammed down the throats of the American people was half-assed? I'd hate to see what kind of damage they'd do if they were actually trying.

    The Great Depression?
    I believe the term you are looking for is the "New Deal". If you call ten years of crippling depression a successful stimulus plan then you need to reference a dictionary. Allow me to be of assistance:

    Successful:

    1. Having a favorable outcome.

    2. Having obtained something desired or intended.


    So, is that your desired outcome? Ten years of depression?

    World War II?
    The American buildup to WWII was not a government stimulus plan.

  10. #30
    Banned G.I. Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-09-09 @ 02:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    247

    Re: Would You Support a Second Stimulus Package?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    War and blowing people to tiny bits are the main reasons we keep governments around.
    Somewhere along the way this point got lost. Now the government is expected to fill in all the gaps in our lives. It's quite sad, really.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •