View Poll Results: Which (if any) religion do you adhere to/practice?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christianity (Catholic, protestant, unitarian, etc.)

    20 21.98%
  • Islam

    2 2.20%
  • Hinduism

    1 1.10%
  • Buddhism

    1 1.10%
  • Sikhism

    0 0%
  • Judaism

    4 4.40%
  • Baha'i

    0 0%
  • Shinto

    0 0%
  • Other (Specify if you would like)

    13 14.29%
  • Nonreligious (Athiest, agnostic)

    50 54.95%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 95

Thread: Religion

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    Please confine this to the "libertarian socialism" thread, unless you are interested in finally accepting my offer. If you do and you are able to defeat me, then you'll of course expect an end to all comments about socialism from me on this forum. Since they are so irrational and illogical, after all, why not endure a tiny bit of toil in order to prevent the presumable irritation that my long-term posts about socialism will provide for you?
    Yo, toots? You brought it up. You lost there, you lost here, you lost on a train, you lost on a plane. No one wants your moldy green eggs and spam.

    Socialism, with it's illogical foundation, it's insistence on belief instead of facts, it's dogmatic approach to everything, and it's complete resentment of more successful and effective ideas, the undying fervor and slavish devotion of it's dupes, is a religion.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-24-09 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    [even more drivel]
    If I wanted to hear this, I could just replay my answering machine over and over again or attempt to converse with a spambot. Make a relevant comment in the appropriate thread, accept my challenge to a True Debate, or stop derailing this thread about theistic religion.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    If I wanted to hear this, I could just replay my answering machine over and over again or attempt to converse with a spambot. Make a relevant comment in the appropriate thread, accept my challenge to a True Debate, or stop derailing this thread about theistic religion.
    You have my posts recorded on your answering machine?

    That's weird.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-24-09 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: Religion

    Well, considering their source...

  5. #55
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-08-14 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    We can get absolutely everything demonstrably good we get from religion from purely secular means. It's time for mankind to grow up and get a grip on factual reality. Fantasy play time is just about over.
    I always find this sort of thinking amusing.

    I am a predatory animal. My instinct is to control and dominate. There is almost nothing in me that instictely would grant freedom to those with whom I disagree.

    Internally I can justify all manner of violent acts for the "greater good." And without the idea of immortal life, I see no reason to be concerned about any particular pain I inflict on strangers, since at death it would be as though they never were. Any suffering would thereby be erased, present and past.

    And here's the kicker: I'm a pretty nice fellow, imagine the morality that would be evolved by unpleasant people.

    So I know what Man is without the influence of Religion, whether others believe that this ture or not is immaterial to me.

    Man will never "outgrow" the need for superior guidance. It's the nature of our beast
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-25-09 @ 02:40 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    669

    Re: Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Muslim but not crazy type religious Muslim, i tend to be dismissive of texts in both the Qu'ran and hadiths which contradict science. I am a secularist as well.

    Dam good thing you don't live in most Muslim countries.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-24-09 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    I always find this sort of thinking amusing.

    I am a predatory animal. My instinct is to control and dominate. There is almost nothing in me that instictely would grant freedom to those with whom I disagree.

    Internally I can justify all manner of violent acts for the "greater good." And without the idea of immortal life, I see no reason to be concerned about any particular pain I inflict on strangers, since at death it would be as though they never were. Any suffering would thereby be erased, present and past.

    And here's the kicker: I'm a pretty nice fellow, imagine the morality that would be evolved by unpleasant people.

    So I know what Man is without the influence of Religion, whether others believe that this ture or not is immaterial to me.

    Man will never "outgrow" the need for superior guidance. It's the nature of our beast
    This is actually the sort of thinking that I myself find amusing. Secular ethics are not determined by individual whim or caprice. Apart from their superiority over religious ethics in that they're intended to be based on independent rational thought rather than reliance on indisputable theological doctrines inherited from an unseen deity that emphasize unthinking conformity, the "greater good" is intended to be enjoyed on a collective level, preferably for the greatest number of people. The utilitarian, for example, would favor a "Pareto optimal" principle of sorts in that such a person would support all maximizations of happiness that did not diminish or otherwise minimize the happiness of others, and aside from that, would support ethical guidelines that maximized happiness overall. Our happiness is the focal point of our mortal lives, which is the basis for societal construction of ethical guidelines that protected that happiness from anti-social acts by aggressive deviants.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Religion

    I was a confirmed Catholic. Now I'm an agnostic.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-08-14 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    This is actually the sort of thinking that I myself find amusing. Secular ethics are not determined by individual whim or caprice. Apart from their superiority over religious ethics in that they're intended to be based on independent rational thought rather than reliance on indisputable theological doctrines inherited from an unseen deity that emphasize unthinking conformity, the "greater good" is intended to be enjoyed on a collective level, preferably for the greatest number of people. The utilitarian, for example, would favor a "Pareto optimal" principle of sorts in that such a person would support all maximizations of happiness that did not diminish or otherwise minimize the happiness of others, and aside from that, would support ethical guidelines that maximized happiness overall. Our happiness is the focal point of our mortal lives, which is the basis for societal construction of ethical guidelines that protected that happiness from anti-social acts by aggressive deviants.
    Apparently, secular morality doe not include the proper construction and limitation of paragraph structure.

    Examples of secular evolved morality in action include concentration camps, the Terror following the French Revolution, the Cultural Revolution, and the Killing Fields.

    As for happiness being the focal point of one's mortal life, I suppose that's OK if one has very low self expectations. It's pretty much the motivation of the brighter sub-human mammals.

    The idea of Human Rights by the way cannot really be supported logically.

    Once again I point out that in a non-spiritual model of the universe, death of the victim is the perfect redress for all offenses, since it removes the suffering, even in memory.

    In this model, a long life of torture and abuse is completely corrected by simple euthanasia. In fact, since we know that any suffering whatever will be completely erased at death, no suffering in any form need be addressed as long as it does not interfere with the order of society.

    This is very good news for people with kidnap victims chained in the basement.
    Last edited by Oftencold; 07-08-09 at 11:01 PM.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  10. #60
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-08-14 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I was a confirmed Catholic. Now I'm an agnostic.
    Agnosticism is an entirely honest position.

    For what it's worth, I believe that everyone has a set of inner devices, perhaps sensitivities that make it possible to discover a wider world with effort.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •