View Poll Results: What Has Influenced Your Thinking?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Parents

    37 58.73%
  • Childhood Experiences

    33 52.38%
  • Tragic Events

    23 36.51%
  • Current Events

    37 58.73%
  • Rational Thought

    51 80.95%
  • Friends/Lovers

    26 41.27%
  • Other

    37 58.73%
  • Nothing

    2 3.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 86

Thread: What Has Influenced Your Views?

  1. #71
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    Sorry, but the facts are in, despite a handful of TV weathermen.

    I still find it shocking that so many want to deny reality.

    If ten doctors examined your child and nine said he/she needed a heart transplant, I seriously doubt you would go on without a care because there wasn't a 100% consensus.

    This tiny blue ball is it folks, there's no place to go if you're wrong.
    If we don't start making big changes now, we've sealed our childrens fate.
    1 oz. of prevention is worth 2 lbs. of cure. I'm going to have to live in the world of tomorrow, and I'd rather not take the chance that it ends before I end.....or my children for that matter.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  2. #72
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Seen
    02-03-11 @ 07:17 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    585

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    Sorry, but the facts are in, despite a handful of TV weathermen.
    That may well be; as it is here and most message boards, it's just another ideological spit ball contest on whose 'facts' are 'facts', and has fluck all to with 'reality'. There is no real 'proof' of anything on the internet, despite all the wishful thinking and magical incantations surrounding the thing. People can't even prove they can balance a checkbook here, much less what huge piles of scientific data say or don't say.

    I still find it shocking that so many want to deny reality.
    Well, I certainly agree with this ...
    Last edited by Picaro; 07-07-09 at 11:20 AM.

  3. #73
    User Wyrmdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Holladay, UT, USA
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    102

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Looks like people are more interested in taking each other to task in this thread (started awfully early on, too) than actually addressing the topic, and that's too bad. I like the concept of this thread a lot. I'm fascinated by what makes people tick.

    In a thread like this, people are going to say things you* dislike because they've been asked to share and very few people think exactly alike. The point is to find out why it is they think the way they do, not to pick at specific claims they make. This isn't about whether their claims are true or false, but about the intensely personal how and why behind their comments. I think.

    Seems to me that common courtesy dictates that you let them have their say without picking a fight. We have other threads for that.


    * the empirical you
    Marc Jentzsch

    "I am not an Athenian or a Greek, but a citizen of the world."

    - Socrates, from Plutarch, Of Banishment

  4. #74
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmdog View Post
    Looks like people are more interested in taking each other to task in this thread (started awfully early on, too) than actually addressing the topic, and that's too bad. I like the concept of this thread a lot. I'm fascinated by what makes people tick.

    In a thread like this, people are going to say things you* dislike because they've been asked to share and very few people think exactly alike. The point is to find out why it is they think the way they do, not to pick at specific claims they make. This isn't about whether their claims are true or false, but about the intensely personal how and why behind their comments. I think.

    Seems to me that common courtesy dictates that you let them have their say without picking a fight. We have other threads for that.


    * the empirical you

    Well said. I wanted to know what affected you guys, and everyone starts dishing out the attacks....
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  5. #75
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,519

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Well said. I wanted to know what affected you guys, and everyone starts dishing out the attacks....


    When someone uses an example that is false on the face of it, they shouldn't be called on that? When someone posts utter nonsense as fact, they shouldn't be taken to task for it? When someone engages in uber-partisan trolling, ditto?

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #76
    Banned G.I. Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-09-09 @ 02:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    247

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Seeing an Iraqi woman cry tears of joy as her daughter leaves home for school for the first time...........Seeing an Afghan family celebrate after voting for the first time in any of their lives.................Seeing people in Berkeley, CA burning American flags in the street while foreigners overseas wave them in appreciation............Seeing healthy young men collect government checks while sitting at home while a man in a wheelchair refuses government help and runs a cash register to earn a living at the PX here on Ft Gordon...........Things like that have influenced my views more than a person ever could.
    Last edited by G.I. Joe; 07-07-09 at 06:45 PM.

  7. #77
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    When someone uses an example that is false on the face of it, they shouldn't be called on that? When someone posts utter nonsense as fact, they shouldn't be taken to task for it? When someone engages in uber-partisan trolling, ditto?
    I can't honestly expect you to ignore something you are completely against....and for that matter I suppose I can't expect the debate not to get somewhat personal, and low. It's human nature really...

    I was hoping that I could just learn a bit more of influences.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  8. #78
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Houghton, Michigan
    Last Seen
    11-06-09 @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    98

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Now, now. Unless you examine that 48% closely enough, you can't be sure whether they are positioned for it or against it but are waiting for more information. No way to really know that unless you look at that 48% of 528 papers.
    Actually, I can say that. He stated that the majority were dubious at best. I displayed the findings that a majority of those papers stated either complete rejection of the theory, or were unwilling to call it either way. That would be dubious- having doubt or uncertainty in their findings.

    An important thing to remember that it is far easier to prove existence of something, whether it be the influence of people on the climate or the existence of unicorns. In order to infallibly disprove existence of something, a scientist needs to be essentially omniscient- how else could I prove that unicorns do not exist, unless I had knowledge of the entire Universe? Furthermore, in order to say Unicorns have never existed, I would then need omniscience of the entire universe for all of time. Obviously, it is impossible for me to infallibly disprove unicorns' existence.

    Modern science must operate using facts to disprove something beyond reasonable doubt. And this means that it only takes one unclear study, one off-beat piece of data, or one reasonable counter argument, regardless of whether these things are valid, to make a good scientist say "Woah there!".

    That 48% which did not take a clear stand most likely found some abnormality in their findings- something they were unsure of or something that they felt deserved further investigation before making a conclusion. These skeptical 48% are practicing science in its best form- analyzing data and addressing all possible avenues of though before making a conclusion.

    Do I believe man had something to do with climate change? It's possible, I haven't been convinced either way. But regardless of your views, you need to realize that the plurality of scientists in this case say that it is too close to call. In my opinion, that should cast serious questions on both the 45% who say there is clear evidence that man is the cause, and also the 7% who say that man is not the cause. Think about it- these sort of percentages would result in a hung jury if this war a court trial, which operates on similar principles, so why should we call in the decision on climate change? We need to stop dividing into camps for war and accept that being undecided is a perfectly reasonable conclusion(or lack thereof for that matter).

  9. #79
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Houghton, Michigan
    Last Seen
    11-06-09 @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    98

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Well said. I wanted to know what affected you guys, and everyone starts dishing out the attacks....
    You know, you're all to quick to accuse others of hijacking the thread, and yet you jump at the chance to support somebody who shares views with you. Either stop complaining about side debates or stop participating in them.

    1 oz. of prevention is worth 2 lbs. of cure. I'm going to have to live in the world of tomorrow, and I'd rather not take the chance that it ends before I end.....or my children for that matter.

  10. #80
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bootsavich View Post
    Actually, I can say that. He stated that the majority were dubious at best. I displayed the findings that a majority of those papers stated either complete rejection of the theory, or were unwilling to call it either way. That would be dubious- having doubt or uncertainty in their findings.

    An important thing to remember that it is far easier to prove existence of something, whether it be the influence of people on the climate or the existence of unicorns. In order to infallibly disprove existence of something, a scientist needs to be essentially omniscient- how else could I prove that unicorns do not exist, unless I had knowledge of the entire Universe? Furthermore, in order to say Unicorns have never existed, I would then need omniscience of the entire universe for all of time. Obviously, it is impossible for me to infallibly disprove unicorns' existence.

    Modern science must operate using facts to disprove something beyond reasonable doubt. And this means that it only takes one unclear study, one off-beat piece of data, or one reasonable counter argument, regardless of whether these things are valid, to make a good scientist say "Woah there!".

    That 48% which did not take a clear stand most likely found some abnormality in their findings- something they were unsure of or something that they felt deserved further investigation before making a conclusion. These skeptical 48% are practicing science in its best form- analyzing data and addressing all possible avenues of though before making a conclusion.

    Do I believe man had something to do with climate change? It's possible, I haven't been convinced either way. But regardless of your views, you need to realize that the plurality of scientists in this case say that it is too close to call. In my opinion, that should cast serious questions on both the 45% who say there is clear evidence that man is the cause, and also the 7% who say that man is not the cause. Think about it- these sort of percentages would result in a hung jury if this war a court trial, which operates on similar principles, so why should we call in the decision on climate change? We need to stop dividing into camps for war and accept that being undecided is a perfectly reasonable conclusion(or lack thereof for that matter).
    So basically, we should wait and see....and hope Al Gore was wrong, or our children will hate us all....I'd rather act, and then turn out to be wrong then to not act, and get screwed.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •