View Poll Results: What Has Influenced Your Thinking?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Parents

    37 58.73%
  • Childhood Experiences

    33 52.38%
  • Tragic Events

    23 36.51%
  • Current Events

    37 58.73%
  • Rational Thought

    51 80.95%
  • Friends/Lovers

    26 41.27%
  • Other

    37 58.73%
  • Nothing

    2 3.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 86

Thread: What Has Influenced Your Views?

  1. #21
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    While I'm tempted to put "all of the above", it has to be Rational Thought.

    Using logic and reason naturally leads one towards being more liberal, so that's where I ended up.

    Although, even in my youth when I accepted religion as rational, the teachings of Jesus also pointed me towards liberalism.

    Honestly, the only things I can fathom that would lead one to America's current version of conservatism is fear, greed, or a twisted religious dogma.
    Oh puh-leeze. You don't think that two people can try to use reason and still come to two completely different conclusions?

  2. #22
    User johnjoel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    07-23-09 @ 05:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    144

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    What influences my views? Hmmm, I'd have to say copious amounts of marijuana.
    I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-08-14 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Oh puh-leeze. You don't think that two people can try to use reason and still come to two completely different conclusions?
    Good grief! One person can use reason and come to two completely different conclusions!

    I do so all the time. And so do I!
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  4. #24
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,504

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    While I'm tempted to put "all of the above", it has to be Rational Thought.

    Using logic and reason naturally leads one towards being more liberal, so that's where I ended up.

    Although, even in my youth when I accepted religion as rational, the teachings of Jesus also pointed me towards liberalism.

    Honestly, the only things I can fathom that would lead one to America's current version of conservatism is fear, greed, or a twisted religious dogma.
    Ultra-partisan-hack troll. In brief, ignore.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #25
    Professor
    Joe1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,829

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Ultra-partisan-hack troll. In brief, ignore.
    Funny how a right-winger can say any stupid thing they want and nobody says ****.
    A liberal with balls shows up and everybody gets their panties in a wad.

  6. #26
    Professor
    Joe1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,829

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Oh puh-leeze. You don't think that two people can try to use reason and still come to two completely different conclusions?
    If it's a topic based on facts, one will be right, the other wrong.

    Going to and from the moon, every equation has to correct.
    Why should a fundamentalist who says God told him 2 + 2 = 5 get an equal seat at the table?

    99.9% of the worlds scientists using the finest technology say there is man-made climate change and we'd better change our ways.
    Why should the opinion of Billy-bob from Oklahoma who thinks GW is a worldwide conspiracy to make Al Gore rich be given the same measure?

    Now I'm all for cordiality and civil debate, but I have become unwilling to accommodate deception, distortion, and disinformation.

  7. #27
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Houghton, Michigan
    Last Seen
    11-06-09 @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    98

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    Debating my views has had more influence on them, more than any life event. Sometimes the debate hardens my positions and/or affirms my experiences, other times it has softened or altered my opinion.
    I'd second that statement.

  8. #28
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Houghton, Michigan
    Last Seen
    11-06-09 @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    98

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    If it's a topic based on facts, one will be right, the other wrong.

    Going to and from the moon, every equation has to correct.
    Why should a fundamentalist who says God told him 2 + 2 = 5 get an equal seat at the table?

    99.9% of the worlds scientists using the finest technology say there is man-made climate change and we'd better change our ways.
    Why should the opinion of Billy-bob from Oklahoma who thinks GW is a worldwide conspiracy to make Al Gore rich be given the same measure?

    Now I'm all for cordiality and civil debate, but I have become unwilling to accommodate deception, distortion, and disinformation.
    "Billy-Bob" Gets that measure because disallowing him it would invalidate all scientific progress we have made on it. As you said, if it is a matter of facts then one is riht and one is wrong. But neither authority nor majority make truth- especially when it comes to scientific ideas,

  9. #29
    Educator
    Australianlibertarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Geelong, Australia
    Last Seen
    02-07-13 @ 07:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,011

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    While I'm tempted to put "all of the above", it has to be Rational Thought.

    Using logic and reason naturally leads one towards being more liberal, so that's where I ended up.

    Although, even in my youth when I accepted religion as rational, the teachings of Jesus also pointed me towards liberalism.

    Honestly, the only things I can fathom that would lead one to America's current version of conservatism is fear, greed, or a twisted religious dogma.
    Mmmmm, I have applied logic and reason and I am an atheist and a libertarian....

    If you start off with different assumptions or a different premise, then logic and reason will lead to different outcomes. Therefore, I am not entirely sure how you can claim that logic and rationalism ultimately leads to American-modern-liberalism (in contrast to classic liberalism) as opposed to any other mode of political thought.....

  10. #30
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,321

    Re: What Has Influenced Your Views?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    While I'm tempted to put "all of the above", it has to be Rational Thought.

    Using logic and reason naturally leads one towards being more liberal, so that's where I ended up.

    Although, even in my youth when I accepted religion as rational, the teachings of Jesus also pointed me towards liberalism.

    Honestly, the only things I can fathom that would lead one to America's current version of conservatism is fear, greed, or a twisted religious dogma.
    Obviously you haven't used logic and reason when you posted this comment.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •