View Poll Results: Would you vote to legalize same gender marriages?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would vote to make gay marriage legal

    99 69.72%
  • No, I would vote against making gay marriage legal

    37 26.06%
  • I am undecided and wouldn't vote

    6 4.23%
Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748
Results 471 to 473 of 473

Thread: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

  1. #471
    User Slithering Rainbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    12-07-09 @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    114

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Absolutely. I would love to do so, and would be proud of my vote.
    This- for sure! I HAVE voted to make same sex marriage legal.

  2. #472
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,116

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    To reiterate, and to perhaps spark further debate:

    I would NOT vote to legalize same sex marriages.

    This is because I do not believe that the government has any business making any decision in a religious matter, which is in my mind solely what marriages should be about.

    My position is that the only remedy to the issue is to separate the legal aspect of marriage from the religious aspect. Let the various religious institutions hash out which of their number will allow gay marriages, and those who do not wish to acknowledge such do not have to.

    On the legal side, allow a civil union of some sort for everyone, and if Jerry and others who believe as he can convince enough people, make it exclusive to raising children.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #473
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    122

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    Well there ya go, I don't believe everyone should have access to those legal buffs, but only those who are going to serve the purpose for those buffs existing in the first place.
    Then we may just have to agree to disagree here. Not a bad discussion at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    Only couples who have children are entitled.
    If this is true then one of the following must also be true:
    -'Married' couples without children or 'married' couples who cannot have them are not actually 'married'
    -They are, but you do not believe they should be recognized as such

    Assuming the latter is true, that simply highlights the inconsistency in believing that only those who have children are entitled.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    You people keep quoting these exceptions which prove the rule as thought they back your argument, when in fact the only support mine.
    The 'exceptions' to the rule exhibit the rule's inconsistency and unfairness.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    I see analogies written here every day. Whatever you wrote was illegible.
    They can be written straight out or in the manner I typed. The latter used to appear on the SATs, before the College Board eliminated them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    You are by far not the first person to say that this week, so I'll tell you just as I have too every other person who also thought this was an original argument bearing some level of merit: Childless couples have always been benign exceptions which prove the rule. If we need to now ban those exceptions to prevent gays from exploiting them, then fine, let's ban them.
    While I disagree with its conclusion, this at least makes your argument consistent, and I respect that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    I can see that you're a person who puts thought into your posts. Please continue to do so. So far I'm not seeing any new information in your posts that I haven't already come across in my 3 years on DP, but I'm sure that in time you could become a real player here.
    Thank you and likewise. These gay marriage debates are getting rather stale for me as well, I've popped around internet forums for 5 or so years and it is one of those topics that I think of 'retiring' from. Good debate though

    -NC

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •