View Poll Results: Would you vote to legalize same gender marriages?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would vote to make gay marriage legal

    99 69.72%
  • No, I would vote against making gay marriage legal

    37 26.06%
  • I am undecided and wouldn't vote

    6 4.23%
Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 473

Thread: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

  1. #431
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,808

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by G.I. Joe View Post
    Fair enough. So, tell me then, why should gay marriage be legalized, despite the fact that the majority of Americans have spoken against it repeatedly?
    Well first we must start with the reason the the government has a vested interest in legalizing marriage at all. There are several reasons for this:

    1) Marriage promotes the positive rearing of children.
    2) Marriage promotes a stable economic situation.
    3) Marriage promotes a more stable social situation.
    4) Marriage promotes increased physical/mental health.

    There is plenty of research that shows that married couples produce healthier children, better economic and social situations, and improved mental and physical health.

    So, now we know why government supports marriage, and we know that marriage improves the health and welfare both of the participants and their offspring, the support for gay marriage comes from the fact that it meets all of the above criteria. We also know from research that gay couples rear children as healthy as those reared from straight couples, and gay couples are proportionally as well off economically, stable socially, and both physically and mentally as healthy as their straight counterparts are vs. singles from each orientation.

    With the congruence of these issues, and the demonstration that there is no difference between the benefits of straight and gay marriages, there is no legitimate argument to NOT legalize gay marriage...as long as one goes the route of THIS course of debate. This is the "Family" debate.

    The only legitimate rebuttal to this is for the government to get out of the marriage business altogether...which in a sense, is a different debate altogether.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #432
    Banned G.I. Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-09-09 @ 02:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    247

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Well first we must start with the reason the the government has a vested interest in legalizing marriage at all. There are several reasons for this:

    1) Marriage promotes the positive rearing of children.
    2) Marriage promotes a stable economic situation.
    3) Marriage promotes a more stable social situation.
    4) Marriage promotes increased physical/mental health.

    There is plenty of research that shows that married couples produce healthier children, better economic and social situations, and improved mental and physical health.

    So, now we know why government supports marriage, and we know that marriage improves the health and welfare both of the participants and their offspring, the support for gay marriage comes from the fact that it meets all of the above criteria. We also know from research that gay couples rear children as healthy as those reared from straight couples, and gay couples are proportionally as well off economically, stable socially, and both physically and mentally as healthy as their straight counterparts are vs. singles from each orientation.

    With the congruence of these issues, and the demonstration that there is no difference between the benefits of straight and gay marriages, there is no legitimate argument to NOT legalize gay marriage...as long as one goes the route of THIS course of debate. This is the "Family" debate.

    The only legitimate rebuttal to this is for the government to get out of the marriage business altogether...which in a sense, is a different debate altogether.
    Ok, good post. Completely off base, but good.

    Your argument is based on flawed logic. You say that because gay couples have been shown to be capable of offering stability to children means that their marriage is as legitimate as any other. And since you have come to this conclusion(a link to scientific data would be beneficial to your argument), then the government has no choice but to bestow the same rights to gay couples as straight couples, correct?

    False.

    Whether or not studies have shown that gay couples are capable of raising well-adjusted children(although many studies, plus common sense, show that kids need a mother AND father), is incidental. If the government is a representation of the will of the people, then gay marriage should not be legal. As I stated earlier, Prop 8 passed in the most liberal state in the union. The legalization of gay marriage would necessitate fascism. We don't want that, do we?

  3. #433
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by G.I. Joe View Post
    Why did you change the word "welp" to "help" in my post? That's weird........
    Oh haha sorry I have Mozilla Firefox and it underlines all the misspelled words, I guess I changed it without realizing it was your quote. I apologize.

    Anyway, are you going to respond to my post?


  4. #434
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,808

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by G.I. Joe View Post
    Ok, good post. Completely off base, but good.

    Your argument is based on flawed logic. You say that because gay couples have been shown to be capable of offering stability to children means that their marriage is as legitimate as any other. And since you have come to this conclusion(a link to scientific data would be beneficial to your argument), then the government has no choice but to bestow the same rights to gay couples as straight couples, correct?

    False.

    Whether or not studies have shown that gay couples are capable of raising well-adjusted children(although many studies, plus common sense, show that kids need a mother AND father), is incidental. If the government is a representation of the will of the people, then gay marriage should not be legal. As I stated earlier, Prop 8 passed in the most liberal state in the union. The legalization of gay marriage would necessitate fascism. We don't want that, do we?
    My logic is solid and bulletproof. Your position is that if the people don't want to legalize marriage, then marriage should not be legalized. I'm not disagreeing with that. We live in a democratic society, where majority rules, regardless. But that is not the point of my position. Tell me, based on what I posted, WHY gay marriage should not be legalized, what, based on the information from my post, would be the rationale that "the people" might use. The "will of the people" is not a rationale.
    Last edited by CaptainCourtesy; 07-19-09 at 03:53 AM.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #435
    Banned G.I. Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-09-09 @ 02:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    247

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Oh haha sorry I have Mozilla Firefox and it underlines all the misspelled words, I guess I changed it without realizing it was your quote. I apologize.

    Anyway, are you going to respond to my post?
    I've responded to you six ways to Sunday. The backbone of your argument is that a right is being withheld, and that since rights were withheld from people in the past and later overturned, that the same should happen with this issue. This is not sound logic. The mere fact that rights were given to people who were oppressed in the past does not mean that gays are owed any particular priveledge. By this logic, a number of different groups should be given the rights they feel they deserve. A good example would be the Nudist Group of America, who feel they should be granted the right to be nude in public at any time.
    Last edited by G.I. Joe; 07-19-09 at 03:55 AM.

  6. #436
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by G.I. Joe View Post
    I've responded to you six ways to Sunday. The backbone of your argument is that a right is being withheld, and that since rights were withheld from people in the past and later overturned, that the same should happen with this issue. This is not sound logic. The mere fact that rights were given to people who were oppressed in the past does not mean that gays are owed any particular priveledge. By this logic, a number of different groups should be given the rights they feel they deserve. A good example would be the Nudist Group of America, who feel they should be granted the right to be nude in public at any time.
    Well ... that's not exactly what I am saying, but close. My point was that the two movements are similar, so given time, the movement will succeed.

    Also, something I failed to mention last time was the fact that there are some rights that are given to some but not all based on a condition that cannot be regulated or restricted. (I'm sorry I keep bringing the Civil Rights Mvt. up again, I know that bothers you, but its the closest example for this post). The right to marry a person of a different race was not legal as a certain point, neither were many rights based on race. Its like saying you can't love this person and marry them because of how the person looks. In the case of anti- gay marriage, its like saying you can't love this person and marry them because of who the person loves. That's ridiculous to make that illegal.

    Another very important thing I didn't bring up was that providing those rights to only certain people is hypocritical. If non-whites were not allowed to marry whites or vote or stand in this spot or what have you, then those strict rules should have been applied to everyone, no matter their race. In that same vein (I love that phrase) if only certain couples are not allowed to marry, then it should be disallowed for everyone, otherwise the essence of "American opportunity and freedom" is jeopardized. Its jeopardized every day when two people can't get married because of the nature of the marriage.

    Why must those against gay marriage be allowed to enjoy a right while other Americans are not? The only relatively sound argument against this question is "its not American tradition," and even that argument is very weak. Because (again) interracial marriages were not "part of tradition," but magically! interracial marriages are legal now!

    So this is the backbone of my post here: If we really want to fair and uphold "American freedom and fairness," then rights must always be based on an "everything or nothing" ideology. With regards to your argument about nudists, the U.S. does not give anyone the right be nude in public (I think, am I right?), therefore we should never give that right to any specific group. If some people were allowed to be nude in public based on their nature, then we should be allowing it for everyone. My point is that we somehow grant marriage to select couples but restrict to others, what the hell is that?


  7. #437
    Educator a777pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Flower Mound, in the basement
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 07:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    646

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Would you vote to legalizing same gender marriages if the issue was on an election ballot and you could vote in the election?

    Only two options are given as that is how an election would work.
    What I think you meant to ask was: Would you vote to legalize same sex marriages.


    Human beings have a sex not a gender.
    I came into this world fighting, screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way.

  8. #438
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    02-12-11 @ 11:32 AM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    939

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Absolutely. People should be able to marry whomever they love, why not?

  9. #439
    Educator a777pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Flower Mound, in the basement
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 07:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    646

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by pro-bipartisan View Post
    Absolutely. People should be able to marry whomever they love, why not?
    Then you would be OK with three gay men being legally married?

    What if to biological brothers wished to get married....is that OK with you?

    What about a daughter marrying both her mom and dad?

    Please tell me your definition of the word and state of marriage.
    I came into this world fighting, screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way.

  10. #440
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by a777pilot View Post
    What I think you meant to ask was: Would you vote to legalize same sex marriages.


    Human beings have a sex not a gender.
    Yet your profile on the left side of your posts says you gender is male. But according to you you have no gender.


Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •