View Poll Results: Would you vote to legalize same gender marriages?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would vote to make gay marriage legal

    99 69.72%
  • No, I would vote against making gay marriage legal

    37 26.06%
  • I am undecided and wouldn't vote

    6 4.23%
Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 473

Thread: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

  1. #401
    Advisor LiveUninhibited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-11-10 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    549

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by galenrox View Post
    Those who oppose gay marriage have no tangible stake in it? So people who are married aren't substantively impacted by what the institution they are taking part in is?
    Actually no. When celebrities have frivilous marriages, or people marry for sinful reasons, that does not, in fact, undermine other individual marriages in any real way. If your neighbor and his wife are swingers, that does not invalidate or undermine your marriage. Why? Because marriage is a contract between individuals. For whatever reason, they take exception with gays. hmm...

    So if I join the ACLU, and all of a sudden there's a huge movement to turn the ACLU into the KKK, I shouldn't have a right to say "Listen, I joined the ACLU, I don't want it to become the KKK" because I'm not tangibly impacted?
    That's a weird comparison. The solution would be to leave the ACLU. You can speak out against it, but you would have no legal or logical basis for preventing them from turning into the KKK if that's what the rest of the organization wanted.

    Granted, I don't think there is merit to the position that marriage would be devalued as an institution if it were expanded to include gay couples. I also don't think there's any merit to supporting farm subsidies, or voting for Democrats, but since we have a first amendment, I don't get to make those decisions for anyone else. And I for damn sure don't support using the government to push people towards believing something they don't believe, which is the only reason one could possibly support gay marriage over the elimination of marriage as a governmental institution.
    I don't think you understand the 1st amendment. Basically, the first amendment allows people to peaceably: assemble with who they want, write what they want, say what they want, ask the government for redress, and practice their religion how they want. Allowing people to legally get married is not the same as requiring that other people believe gay marriage is "okay" anymore than allowing people to get married only for sex or money means that everybody else in society must think it is "okay" to get married only for sex or money. You would have a point if there were a legal basis to require churches to marry gay people, but there's not. Just like always, they can exclude people from their sacraments on whatever basis they want.

    The relevant amendment to this is the 14th, which demands that the government treat people equally under the law, as marriage has become a legal contract.
    Last edited by LiveUninhibited; 07-15-09 at 04:27 PM.

  2. #402
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    09-26-16 @ 09:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,420
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    It's idiotic to make that comparison. Horses cannot consent to a contract. Gay adults can.
    I said it was absurd - the same as homosexual marriage is......maybe that state should stay out of marriages....but the marriage is a contract between a man and a woman; the homosexuals have no right to change this...
    One can see the opened can of worms....sodomy, AIDS,HIV, and, idiotic or not, a man marrying his horse,a decadent society..
    Is that what you want ??
    Gay ? my foot..
    how can this be "gay", I say its sick.....sure, its the popular fad now, but I believe in standards not "popular things or fads"..
    Just allow the homosexuals their "civil unions", but never a marriage....a true marriage.

  3. #403
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by galenrox View Post
    I've come across this argument before, and it's always amused me because it's so obviously self-defeating. You see, at the crux of this argument is the suggestion that marriage doesn't matter. In saying it doesn't matter if people get married and divorced willy-nilly, or that it doesn't matter if people get married and then practice polyamorous relations, you are saying the institution is already meaningless. And if that's what you believe, that's fine, but then you can't argue that gay marriage is important as you've already granted that marriage is a meaningless institution.
    Your assessment is incorrect. Most of us that feel the way you describe recognize that other people see meaning in their legal marriage documents. *I* don't see any meaning in gays or heteros or whites or blacks or whomever getting married. I think the government should be out of the marriage thing altogether.

    However, they currently are not out of the marriage thing. As such, I think that people should be allowed to enter into said legal contracts equally. I do not argue that gay marriage is 'meaningful'. I argue that equality is.

    And, if some people do feel that their relationships are somehow undermined based on someone elses relationship and whether or not those someones signed a piece of paper, then they must not have had much of one to begin with, IMO. Which is, to say, quite sad. Obviously people are free to feel what they want about their own relationships, but how they feel about them is a personal problem, not the governments.
    Last edited by rivrrat; 07-17-09 at 01:14 AM.

  4. #404
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveUninhibited View Post
    Actually no. When celebrities have frivilous marriages, or people marry for sinful reasons, that does not, in fact, undermine other individual marriages in any real way. If your neighbor and his wife are swingers, that does not invalidate or undermine your marriage. Why? Because marriage is a contract between individuals. For whatever reason, they take exception with gays. hmm...
    Do those celebrities oppose gay-marriage, though? Do they?

  5. #405
    Banned G.I. Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-09-09 @ 02:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    247

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveUninhibited View Post
    Only to people who obsess over sodomy.
    There are 10 million threads about sodomites around here and I'm the one obsessing? LOL ok guy. I think it's hilarious how you liberals get butthurt(pun intended) whenever someone calls this what it is. You are crusaders for the legitimization of sodomy.
    Last edited by G.I. Joe; 07-17-09 at 03:06 AM.

  6. #406
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,802

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by G.I. Joe View Post
    There are 10 million threads about sodomites around here and I'm the one obsessing? LOL ok guy. I think it's hilarious how you liberals get butthurt(pun intended) whenever someone calls this what it is. You are crusaders for the legitimization of sodomy.
    Where are there threads on sodomy?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #407
    Banned G.I. Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-09-09 @ 02:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    247

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Where are there threads on sodomy?
    Stop trying to deny that's what is at the heart of this issue. If you have a thread about gay marriage, you have a thread about sodomy. That is the difference in gay marriage and normal marriage, right?(the male version at least) If it wasnt about legitimizing the act of sodomy amongst grown men, then it wouldn't even be a thread. Funny how you libs get so uncomortable and angry when someone describes what it is you advocate.

  8. #408
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,802

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by G.I. Joe View Post
    Stop trying to deny that's what is at the heart of this issue. If you have a thread about gay marriage, you have a thread about sodomy. That is the difference in gay marriage and normal marriage, right?(the male version at least) If it wasnt about legitimizing the act of sodomy amongst grown men, then it wouldn't even be a thread. Funny how you libs get so uncomortable and angry when someone describes what it is you advocate.
    Funny how you conservatives have no clue in regards to separating behavior from orientation on this topic. Good now that we've gotten the idiotic partisan hackery...that you throw out at every post out of the way, do you want to discuss the topic, rationally, or do you want to continue to post irrelevant partisan hackery?

    And here is a basic understanding for you. One who is homosexual may or may not engage in homosexual behavior. Just like one who is heterosexual may or may not engage in heterosexual behavior. Also, since what I imagine you consider sodomy is practiced by heterosexuals, at times, also, the behavior itself is irrelevant to this discussion. So, your point is negated.

    Anything else?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #409
    Banned G.I. Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-09-09 @ 02:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    247

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    What makes a gay man gay is the fact that he prefers to engage in sodomy with other men. To say that people who participate in this lifestyle deserve to be legally married is to say that this lifestyle is legitimate and respectable. End of story. So while there may be other factors involved, this is a fact that cannot be refuted.

  10. #410
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,802

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by G.I. Joe View Post
    What makes a gay man gay is the fact that he prefers to engage in sodomy with other men. To say that people who participate in this lifestyle deserve to be legally married is to say that this lifestyle is legitimate and respectable. End of story. So while there may be other factors involved, this is a fact that cannot be refuted.
    Of course the fact can be refuted, and refuted rather easily. The only basis that you have for your comments of "legitimate and respectable" are your opinion...which is pretty meaningless if we are discussing facts.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •