View Poll Results: Would you vote to legalize same gender marriages?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would vote to make gay marriage legal

    99 69.72%
  • No, I would vote against making gay marriage legal

    37 26.06%
  • I am undecided and wouldn't vote

    6 4.23%
Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 473

Thread: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

  1. #391
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Personally, I ascribe to the arguement that legalizing same-sex marriages would violate the First Amendment.

    And thus, I would have to vote against it.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #392
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by galenrox View Post
    Most people support civil unions, so why not stop the government's involvement there?
    If it looks like a marriage, and it quacks like a marriage, why not call it a marriage rather than a "civil union"?

  3. #393
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by galenrox View Post
    Why not get the government out of it? Most people support civil unions, so why not stop the government's involvement there? Have any number of marriage contracts, catholic contracts, muslim contracts, secular contracts, unitarian contracts, etc. and have either a separate governmental civil union or have the government recognizing private marriage contracts as being civil unions. Makes a lot more sense to me.
    Defining marriage as a religious sacrament would be a good way to accomplish this. Instead of running from the religious dimension, play into it.

    Define marriage as a religious sacrament and the First Amendment would immediately invalidate all government regulation of "marriage". The same sex marriage issue would disappear by direct consequence.

  4. #394
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    08-06-16 @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,668
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Correction: The issue of personal freedom has always been one of the tenets of marriage equality, along with liberty, equal acceptance, and legal recognition.
    And seeing as I do not give a damn about equality, especially in marriage, I have absolutely no sympathy with any so-called "marriage equality" movement. I am inclined to oppose such a thing automatically, because the very name of it implies that it will not be satisfied with legalizing marriage for homosexuals, but for legalizing every other form of marriage that every other minority group is clamoring for.

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    However, if we wish to address your argument that marriage "should be about...which position best serves American families", then the argument is pretty much over, and we should legalize homosexual marriage based on this alone.
    Yes, and I support legalizing homosexual marriage, based on that alone. However, it is important to me that our focus remains here, instead of on arguments that are not concerned with the welfare of families. Every argument about marriage that is not about protecting families is an excuse for turning marriage into something else and for further degrading it and eroding the function and purpose that it serves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    This appears contradictory. You're claiming that those who want marriage equality based on one of the tenets its always had (that of personal freedom) will never get what they want, yet you go on to say that they are, in fact, getting exactly what they want...state by state.
    No, I'm saying that I wish they weren't getting what they want, because they want it for the wrong reasons and they're going to destroy it if they aren't careful, but that they're getting it anyway because they are loud and persistent.

  5. #395
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-17-09 @ 02:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Yes from me. I think the government (and therfore, ALL the people of a country) should have the say on marriage, which arguably no longer belongs to any religion (otherwise only people of those faiths would be able marry, gay or not, right?).

    However, churches of various faiths, and anyone working for any private business, should be free to refuse marriage- and family-related services to gay couples if they can fairly cite their faith as a basis for refusal, as long as they retain professionalism in freely referring said gay couples to a more appropriate service. Nobody should be sued for staying true to their faith, but nobody should be using their faith as a basis to tell anyone else what to do either. Freedom of religion is easily as important as freedom from discrimination.
    "I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me."
    -Dudley Field Malone

  6. #396
    Banned G.I. Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-09-09 @ 02:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    247

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    The Democratic party shall go down in history as the party of sodomy.

  7. #397
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,618

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Defining marriage as a religious sacrament would be a good way to accomplish this. Instead of running from the religious dimension, play into it.

    Define marriage as a religious sacrament and the First Amendment would immediately invalidate all government regulation of "marriage". The same sex marriage issue would disappear by direct consequence.
    Except it wouldn't. We already have a civil contract in the U.S., it's called marriage. No matter what you change the word to, you'll still have the religious who don't want gays to get it, period. For some people, it is a semantical issue (which is downright stupid), but for most that I've run into, it's a moral issue and they don't want it, no matter what you call it, no matter how you frame it, no matter how you hide it, gays should never, under any circumstances, be allowed to have any religious, civil or legal recognition of their partnerships, period.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  8. #398
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 10:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Except that the issue still is not about personal freedom, and trying to make it so-- like so many people are-- only distracts from what this issue is and should be about, and that is which position better serves American families.
    If marriage was about serving American families, we'd annual marriages that did not result in families. The whole argument about marriage being around kids and families does not hold up today.

    While gay marriage isn't explicitly about personal freedom, given the options, it results in the maximum personal freedom. Does it really matter that it is about something different? Not from a libertarian view point. We vote for the most (realistic) liberty maximizing option.

    When looking at the options, we have a choice that increases personal liberty (even if it's not about that) and a choice that does not. So I'd vote for the one that increases personal liberty even if it is not explicit about personal liberty.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #399
    Another day in paradise..
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    68,002

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    If marriage was about serving American families, we'd annual marriages that did not result in families. The whole argument about marriage being around kids and families does not hold up today.

    While gay marriage isn't explicitly about personal freedom, given the options, it results in the maximum personal freedom. Does it really matter that it is about something different? Not from a libertarian view point. We vote for the most (realistic) liberty maximizing option.

    When looking at the options, we have a choice that increases personal liberty (even if it's not about that) and a choice that does not. So I'd vote for the one that increases personal liberty even if it is not explicit about personal liberty.



    Couple things.


    Having the government grant you "permission" is not an increase in personal liberty. The Government should be out of th marriage businness....

    How does one "annual" a "marrigage"?


    Did you mean anull?


    Matthew 10:34
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

  10. #400
    Advisor LiveUninhibited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-11-10 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    549

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    I say NO !
    Does that make me a homo-freak ?
    There are two or more points of view on this subject; that one side should be insulted by the other is childish, at best...That said, why not a civil union, but with only two humans, regardless of sex,sponsored by the state...for the homosexuals...if they must.
    So, the people seem to go for unlimited "equal rights"...this seems to be good....but is it ??
    Why not allow a man to marry his horse ?? This is simply more absurd than two men marrying each other......
    It's idiotic to make that comparison. Horses cannot consent to a contract. Gay adults can.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Personally, I ascribe to the arguement that legalizing same-sex marriages would violate the First Amendment.

    And thus, I would have to vote against it.
    LOL wut?

    Quote Originally Posted by galenrox View Post
    Because a lot of people see marriage as being between a man and a woman, and for the same reason that I oppose them forcing their views on you I oppose you forcing your views on them.
    Yeah some people believe they should be able to sacrifice you to appease their gods. Is it a violation of their rights to be disallowed from doing so? No. What if they wanted to do something that did not hurt other people? Well then yes it would be a violation of their 1st amendment rights. Those against gay marriage have no tangible stake in it, as it does not actually hurt them.

    Quote Originally Posted by G.I. Joe View Post
    The Democratic party shall go down in history as the party of sodomy.
    Only to people who obsess over sodomy.

Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •