View Poll Results: Would you vote to legalize same gender marriages?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would vote to make gay marriage legal

    99 69.72%
  • No, I would vote against making gay marriage legal

    37 26.06%
  • I am undecided and wouldn't vote

    6 4.23%
Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 473

Thread: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

  1. #381
    Guru
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Plano
    Last Seen
    03-17-16 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,062

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by smartaleck View Post
    all are not free to do what the choose then none are free to do as we choose because sooner or later a law will be made to limit one of my rights. All or none.
    That kind of describes anarchy as well. It may seem adventurous but no one really wants to live there. Max Max doesnt take baths.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/marvel-war-of-heroes/id536478373?mt=8
    iphone or ipad game

    Use Referral code bfg861256 for a free rare card.

  2. #382
    Professor
    Shewter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-21-13 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,995

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    You know, it kind of makes me wonder... If someone were to put the same vote about "Straight Marriage" and people voted against it being legal/recognized... What then?

    This issue is something I have a hard time processing. On one hand, I would want to vote to legalize it, on the other hand, I don't want the issue to be something able to be voted on simply for the fact that I don't believe the people should be able to take something like that away, from any legal relationship.

    Food for thought I suppose. This issue is not as simple as it seems, for either side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Don't apologize to me over that silly ****. I could care less if I can see the dust or not.
    Now apologize for apologizing!

  3. #383
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,468

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveUninhibited View Post
    No I covered things you did say, and also went into things you didn't say. So what?
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but in doing so you made it seem as if you were responding to me, about arguments I didn't make. Nevermind, it isn't really important.


    You are incorrect on all counts. The idea of them being "off the market" is just what is usually the expectation, though there are swingers who are married. Marriage does not mean the same thing to all people. It is a contract. The fact that swingers can be married does not mean society is endorsing swingers by letting them get married.



    Where do you live, Pleasantville? That's not how society is. Society operates on us not putting each others actual interests at risk, not in instilling universal norms. They're not the same from family to family, nor are the majority of families organized in the traditional way you describe, for better or worse.
    Apparently I do live in Pleasantville, compared to wherever you live. And I must say it suits me quite well. Tell ya what, why don't you move to San Francisco and leave South Carolina's culture alone?



    Yes that's true, but it contradicts the rest of your argument. Most gays don't want to get married to be accepted, they want to be treated equally under the law and have equal access to marriage.
    Civil Unions could accomplish that without altering the matrimonial norm that has been typical throughout human history - that marriage is between male and female.



    That's exactly what happened for other civil rights advances tht the majority opposed (all of them that I recall) huh? (:
    Comparisons to racism are dubious, for many reasons. It is not yet proven that homosexuality is inborn and immutable, for one.

    Only in the sense of legal rights. Churches and religious organizations are separate and there should never be grounds to sue churches for discrimination that applies to government conduct. Churches should be able to exclude anybody for any reason, good or bad.
    You really believe that is how it would be? That if it started off that way it would stay that way? Do you recall how the Boy Scouts were treated for their stand on openly-gay scouts and scout masters?


    It will come, but at the cost of equality deferred over blind devotion to the false value of democracy. Your argument would apply very well to the South seceding because the majority of them wanted to... actually, yes they should have been allowed to, but not for that reason alone. (:
    Intresting point, we'll have to explore that one in another thread sometime.


    G.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #384
    Advisor LiveUninhibited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-11-10 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    549

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Apparently I do live in Pleasantville, compared to wherever you live. And I must say it suits me quite well. Tell ya what, why don't you move to San Francisco and leave South Carolina's culture alone?
    Oregon? I don't know, I'd like to live in SF, but not because of non-traditional families or gay people.

    Pretty sure traditional nuclear families are not the norm, in terms of majority of Americans, anymore. It suits some people better than others.

    Nuclear family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    Civil Unions could accomplish that without altering the matrimonial norm that has been typical throughout human history - that marriage is between male and female.
    I'm suspicious of that being a "separate but equal" sort of situation. In name it would be at a minimum. I'm not sure why you value keeping norms the same.

    Comparisons to racism are dubious, for many reasons. It is not yet proven that homosexuality is inborn and immutable, for one.
    I was referring to many different things. The closest example would actually be interracial marriage, which was not really about race per se but what was seen as a deviant sexual attraction to somebody of another race. For SSM, just replace "another race" with "same gender." But anti-miscegenation had no more to do with race than anti-SSM has to do with gender.

    And I'm aware of the immutable criteria that is considered necessary for strict scrutiny, but that's total BS because religious orientation is covered under strict scrutiny and we know that is mutable. [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspect_classification]Suspect classification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

    You really believe that is how it would be? That if it started off that way it would stay that way? Do you recall how the Boy Scouts were treated for their stand on openly-gay scouts and scout masters?
    The Boy Scouts should have the right to discriminate as they are a private organization. But that doesn't mean those who fund them have to continue to give their money to a homophobic club. (:

    Similarly, if the Mormons decide that something totally stupid is immoral due to their President having a revelation then it should be their right to choose who they associate with.

    Are you suggesting you disagree, or that you were surprised I think that? My social positions are closer to libertarian than liberal, even if my fiscal beliefs are liberal.

  5. #385
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 10:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Let's see, vote for the personal freedom maximizing option or vote against maximizing personal freedom?

    Not a hard decision.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #386
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Let's see, vote for the personal freedom maximizing option or vote against maximizing personal freedom?

    Not a hard decision.
    This is the folly of pro-gm: it's NOT about personal freedom. It never was.

  7. #387
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 10:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    This is the folly of pro-gm: it's NOT about personal freedom. It never was.
    Irrelevant. It has become an issue of personal freedom. The choice presented is simple.

    You either vote to expand personal liberty or you vote to restrict it.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #388
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    08-06-16 @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,668
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Except that the issue still is not about personal freedom, and trying to make it so-- like so many people are-- only distracts from what this issue is and should be about, and that is which position better serves American families.

    I would like to say that as long as people are selfishly and stupidly attempting to make marriage into an issue of personal freedom, they will never get what they want... but sadly that is not true. People keep making the same moronic arguments, keep making them louder, and State by State they appear to be winning.

    Enjoy your victory. You deserve to lose every drop of blood it's going to cost you.

  9. #389
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington D-Sig
    Last Seen
    06-30-13 @ 05:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Except that the issue still is not about personal freedom, and trying to make it so-- like so many people are-- only distracts from what this issue is and should be about, and that is which position better serves American families.
    Correction: The issue of personal freedom has always been one of the tenets of marriage equality, along with liberty, equal acceptance, and legal recognition. In fact, it's the very idea of personal freedom that anti-marriage equality folks generally argue against (ie, "you don't have the right to marry someone you choose"). However, if we wish to address your argument that marriage "should be about...which position best serves American families", then the argument is pretty much over, and we should legalize homosexual marriage based on this alone. As I mentioned in another thread, in order to prevent marriage equality, we must have an ironclad, secular argument against it, otherwise there is no reason to prevent inclusion of homosexual couples. And as there are many examples of homosexual families nurturing and raising children as successfully as heterosexual couples, I can see no reason to eliminate homosexuals from inclusion here. Consider this:

    "There has never been any evidence that children of gay couples (either biological or adopted) are harmed by their environment. In many cases these children seem to be more well adjusted than their "normally" raised counterparts. From T. Richard Sullivan, PhD affiliated with the School of Social Work, University of British Columbia, and Albert Baques, social worker with the B.C. Ministry for Children and Families, 1999 we learn that “The assumption that a gay and lesbian orientation is anathema to child rearing reflects homophobia and the idealization of a particular family structure that is assumed to be morally superior…[In fact though, research shows that]no differences in well-being and normative functioning have been found between children reared by heterosexuals and those raised by lesbian or gay parents. 'The fear that children raised by homosexuals will grow up to be lesbian or gay suggests that it would be awful if that were the case. In order to prove that they are worthy parents, lesbians and gay men have had to prove that they are not likely to raise children who will grow up to be like them' (Benkov). This despite the fact that studies of over 300 offspring of gay or lesbian parents in twelve different samples have indicated no evidence of significant disturbances in the development of sexual identity.” -T. Richard Sullivan and Albert Baques, 1999. [“Familism and the Adoption Option for Gay and Lesbian Parents” in Queer Families, Common Agendas, Haworth Press, NY p80-82]

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    I would like to say that as long as people are selfishly and stupidly attempting to make marriage into an issue of personal freedom, they will never get what they want... but sadly that is not true. People keep making the same moronic arguments, keep making them louder, and State by State they appear to be winning.
    This appears contradictory. You're claiming that those who want marriage equality based on one of the tenets its always had (that of personal freedom) will never get what they want, yet you go on to say that they are, in fact, getting exactly what they want...state by state.

    Did you mean to make a different point here? If you can clear it up for me, i'd love to hear your position.

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Enjoy your victory. You deserve to lose every drop of blood it's going to cost you.
    I can think of few battles for freedom and individual liberty that did not cost anything. When threats to freedom appeared on foreign shores mothers sacrificed their sons on distant beaches and to unmarked watery graves and our young men and women have always risen to the challenge. When the civil rights movement reared it's head, we came away with the realization that the rights of all individuals are inalienable, and no government or body of laws should deprive anyone of those rights.

    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson
    Last edited by Singularity; 07-12-09 at 11:47 AM.

  10. #390
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    09-23-16 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,420
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Of course! Only some homophobic freak would say no
    I say NO !
    Does that make me a homo-freak ?
    There are two or more points of view on this subject; that one side should be insulted by the other is childish, at best...That said, why not a civil union, but with only two humans, regardless of sex,sponsored by the state...for the homosexuals...if they must.
    So, the people seem to go for unlimited "equal rights"...this seems to be good....but is it ??
    Why not allow a man to marry his horse ?? This is simply more absurd than two men marrying each other......

Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •