View Poll Results: Would you vote to legalize same gender marriages?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would vote to make gay marriage legal

    99 69.72%
  • No, I would vote against making gay marriage legal

    37 26.06%
  • I am undecided and wouldn't vote

    6 4.23%
Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 473

Thread: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

  1. #171
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,609

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy
    Legally, from a discrimination standpoint, their position is logical, though narrowly so.

    And knock off the anti-religious crap.
    No, this is a legal argument and people making emotional, religious arguments are just whistling Dixie. Religion has no place in legal matters, we live in a secular society with a secular government and our laws are made on a secular basis.

    There was for men marrying women, so allowing interracial marriage was a discrimination issue.
    No, there was precidence for white men marrying white women and black men marrying black women. You had to modify that to allow white men to marry black women and in many cases, strike down laws prohibiting same. But we can make the same argument, we already have law allowing two legal adults to marry, we just have to strike down laws that demand what the gender of those legal adults must be.

    I want to contract to have someone killed. Not legal.
    Because you are contracting an illegal act. Are you telling me you can't tell the difference?

    Just because you refuse to acknowledge them, doesn't mean they don't exist.
    And just because you refuse to acknowledge that your arguments are asinine doesn't mean they're not.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  2. #172
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,241
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveUninhibited View Post
    Legalizing gay marriage wouldn't necessarily mean they could adopt. I wouldn't mind if they adopt, but bear in mind that sex offenders can get married, but they certainly can't adopt.

    This is true but do you really thing they would stop if they did not have equal adoption rights? I mean if they wont stop because of a label why would they stop here?

  3. #173
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Except that hetero-marriage isn't for raising children. It might include such, but there are plenty of straight people who get married and never have children and plenty of people who raise children and are never married. Therefore, it cannot be "for" something that everyone who engages in it doesn't take part in.
    You're pointing to exceptions which prove the rule as though those exceptions falsify the rule.

    Every time you point them out, you loose.

  4. #174
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,323
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You're pointing to exceptions which prove the rule as though those exceptions falsify the rule.

    Every time you point them out, you loose.
    You have not proven that legally, strait marriage is about children though Jerry. You are the one who makes that claim.

  5. #175
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    “Religion has no place in legal matters, we live in a secular society with a secular government and our laws are made on a secular basis.we live in a secular society with a secular government and our laws are made on a secular basis.” – Cephus

    Religion:

    1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

    2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects.

    3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices.

    4. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience.

    Seems to me that this is an issue of morals based upon two basic groups (an over-generalization I realize) of “religion”. One group is based upon a traditional, moral belief system and the other “religion” is based upon a secular, agnostic or atheistic belief system (another over-generalization).

    To say that “religion has no place in legal matters” is simply an attempt to shut one group out of the debate.

    Make no mistake about it, this is an issue in which one group of people will have their morals forced upon another set of individuals.
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You have not proven that legally, strait marriage is about children though Jerry. You are the one who makes that claim.
    What? To you? Pft, read the relevant SOCTUS rulings like Loving and Skinner and catch up. I'm not falling behind just because you're not up to speed. Take Capt'n for example, he's on top of the issue. He's pro-gm and already understands that the winning argument is the "gay-marriage is about the family" argument.

    You should read his posts and take some notes.

  7. #177
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,668

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    What? To you? Pft, read the relevant SOCTUS rulings like Loving and Skinner and catch up. I'm not falling behind just because you're not up to speed. Take Capt'n for example, he's on top of the issue. He's pro-gm and already understands that the winning argument is the "gay-marriage is about the family" argument.

    You should read his posts and take some notes.
    What is interesting is that Jerry and I come from very different political ideologies and have debated this issue, constantly, for about 3 years now. Through the course of that time, we have borrowed solid points from each of our positions, to create the winning argument in the GM debate. What amazes me is that people are so stuck on the discrimination position, a position that is doomed and has not won in the entire time this has been on the table, that they cannot see that winning on this issue is more important than proving a point...a point that you cannot prove. Almost makes me wonder if many pro-GM people really want this to succeed or if some are just setting it up to fail.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #178
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,323
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    What? To you? Pft, read the relevant SOCTUS rulings like Loving and Skinner and catch up. I'm not falling behind just because you're not up to speed. Take Capt'n for example, he's on top of the issue. He's pro-gm and already understands that the winning argument is the "gay-marriage is about the family" argument.

    You should read his posts and take some notes.
    You tried that argument once, and yet could not point out anywhere that it actually said that marriage is specifically for families. Your one quote in fact had nothing to do with marriage being for families.

  9. #179
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,668

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    No, this is a legal argument and people making emotional, religious arguments are just whistling Dixie. Religion has no place in legal matters, we live in a secular society with a secular government and our laws are made on a secular basis.
    I don't have a problem with what you say here. I have a problem with you denigrating the religious.

    No, there was precidence for white men marrying white women and black men marrying black women. You had to modify that to allow white men to marry black women and in many cases, strike down laws prohibiting same. But we can make the same argument, we already have law allowing two legal adults to marry, we just have to strike down laws that demand what the gender of those legal adults must be.
    No, you miss the boat on this. Your interpretation is too broad, as one MAN, one WOMAN is quite specific. This is why the law could not be modified to allow women to vote. An amendment had to be created. This is why the law couldn't be modified to abolish the slavery of black people. An amendment needed to be created. This is precisely why, from a discrimination standpoint, new law would need to be created...not modifying old law. From a benefits standpoint, modification is far easier.

    Because you are contracting an illegal act. Are you telling me you can't tell the difference?
    And to allow it you would have to create new law, not modify old law. Are you telling me that YOU can't tell the difference.

    And just because you refuse to acknowledge that your arguments are asinine doesn't mean they're not.
    And yet my argument has easily dumped yours in the garbage, showing that is yours that is asinine.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #180
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Would you vote to legal same gender marriages?

    I would vote against any law that seeks to further regulate marriage.

    I would vote for a law that removed government from the regulation of marriage entirely.

Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •