View Poll Results: See OP

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 10.53%
  • No

    17 89.47%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50

Thread: Does having the right to something...?

  1. #21
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Does having the right to something...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Who ever said universal suffrage was a good idea? Look what got elected last November, if you want to see what's wrong with that idea.
    Or look at the November of 5 years ago? What a dumb example. Furthermore, presidents are not elected by popular vote anyhow.

    At a minimum, people should be literate in the language of the government before they should be allowed to participate in the selection of that government.
    And the reason why it cannot be translated by the person, or for the person, in question?

    Better, people should be paying taxes before they get a vote on who decides how that tax money is spent.
    Oh, okay. So being an immigrant means they don't pay taxes. Gotcha.

    Ideally, the people should be literate, taxpayers, and military veterans, since vets have demonstrated a willingness to sacrifice their one and only body for the benefit of the republic.
    yeah....okay....
    Last edited by Lightdemon; 06-24-09 at 10:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  2. #22
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,774

    Re: Does having the right to something...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Does having the right to (x) mean that you have the right to have others provide you the means to exercise your right to (x)?

    Please be sure to explain your answer.
    Please tell us what you are getting at Goobieman. The suspense is killing us.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #23
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,184

    Re: Does having the right to something...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Does having the right to (x) mean that you have the right to have others provide you the means to exercise your right to (x)?

    Please be sure to explain your answer.
    If you mean in the context that if Tim is too poor to afford a gun and some ammo, should the tax payer buy Tim a gun and some ammo? Then the answer is no. Having a right to something does not mean tax payers should pay for you to exercise your rights out of their pockets. If you want to exercise your second amendment rights then save up some money to buy a gun and some ammo. Although I am sure abortionist will try to argue that tax payers should pay for abortion for poor women "because it is a right(Even though there is no constitutional amendment declaring abortion a right)". Although if abortions are paid for by the tax payers under the guise of it being a right then there should be some programs to help the poor exercise their 2nd amendment rights,after all the 2nd amendment is actually a constitutional right.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 06-25-09 at 07:10 AM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #24
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Does having the right to something...?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Please tell us what you are getting at Goobieman. The suspense is killing us.
    You mean its killing you.
    And I can live with that.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Does having the right to something...?

    It depends on what the right is. The very existence of rights in a lot of cases requires enforcement because human nature would ignore those rights in a more natural setting. In nature, no one would care about your property, your bodily rights, your freedom (if they want to capture you), your access to resources, etc.

    I don't mean to say that parts of the world that lack big government have no common trust, but if the U.S. government were gone tomorrow your country would fall into violent chaos. Nations that come to rely on big governments would have a hard or impossible time re-learning to live without them.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Does having the right to something...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Or look at the November of 5 years ago? What a dumb example. Furthermore, presidents are not elected by popular vote anyhow.
    Yeah, the people voting because of universal suffrage almost put a purple heart pansy in the White House. Thankfully the Americans prevented that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    And the reason why it cannot be translated by the person, or for the person, in question?
    And the reason someone too lazy or too unconcerned to learn the language of the nation they've chosen to live in should be allowed to vote is?

    None. If they're too lazy or feel they're too good to learn English, screw 'em.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Oh, okay. So being an immigrant means they don't pay taxes. Gotcha.
    No. Real immigrants pay taxes, and once they/re naturalized and demonstrated english proficiency and have a taxpaying job, there shouldn't be any problem with them voting.

    The illegal invaders, who aren't "immigrants", should be stripped of 100% of all property they hold in the US and tossed back over the boarder naked.

  7. #27
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Does having the right to something...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Yeah, the people voting because of universal suffrage almost put a purple heart pansy in the White House. Thankfully the Americans prevented that.
    You're not even making any sense. Did Americans put him in office or didn't they? You don't have to actually answer that, I just wanted to show how ridiculous you sound. What you need to do is understand the difference between Universal Suffrage and the Electoral College.

    And the reason someone too lazy or too unconcerned to learn the language of the nation they've chosen to live in should be allowed to vote is?

    None. If they're too lazy or feel they're too good to learn English, screw 'em.
    Assuming that being lazy is the ONLY reason that they aren't able to learn English.

    Also assuming that learning English is absolutely necessary, which I have already show that it is not via Cultural Enclaves (something you conveniently forgotten since you didn't address it).

    There are plenty of people in the US that do not speak English, and they live well adjusted lives in their communities. Why do you ignore this?


    No. Real immigrants pay taxes, and once they/re naturalized and demonstrated english proficiency and have a taxpaying job, there shouldn't be any problem with them voting.

    The illegal invaders, who aren't "immigrants", should be stripped of 100% of all property they hold in the US and tossed back over the boarder naked.
    One then wonders why did you bring up paying taxes in a conversation about immigrants, unless of course you're talking about illegal immigrants. But then no one has alluded to the notion that the people we are discussing were illegal immigrants. You assumed they were.

    You're malcontent with immigrants in general has already been exposed (by your own commentary).
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  8. #28
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Does having the right to something...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I have some neighbors that I'm assuming are from India and they are willing to live in tighter conditions with more family inside a small space to save money.
    On top of all that they keep their place very clean.
    that has nothing to do with saving money or 'sacrificing', it has entirely to do with their culture.
    Last edited by rivrrat; 06-25-09 at 02:16 PM.

  9. #29
    Global Moderator
    Sinister
    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    133,774

    Re: Does having the right to something...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You mean its killing you.
    And I can live with that.
    OK, that was actually a good one.

    So, are you going to tell us what you are trying to communicate, or shall we guess?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Does having the right to something...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    You're not even making any sense. Did Americans put him in office or didn't they?
    No.

    Americans stopped the Purple Heart Pansy from taking the White House, that they had to protect the nation by electing Bush instead is merely an indication to the low standards this nation has sunk to.

    But it would have been lower if Kerry had managed to slip in.

    [quote=Lightdemon;1058103493]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Assuming that being lazy is the ONLY reason that they aren't able to learn English.
    Being stupid is another reason to deny them the vote.

    I'm fair.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Also assuming that learning English is absolutely necessary,
    It is.

    If you want to be an American.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    which I have already show that it is not via Cultural Enclaves (something you conveniently forgotten since you didn't address it).
    No, I pointed out that living in a ghetto isn't an American ideal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    There are plenty of people in the US that do not speak English, and they live well adjusted lives in their communities. Why do you ignore this?
    Beacuse you're not paying attention.

    If they don't want to learn english, it's their choice and that's fine.

    if they want to be Americans and vote, they need to learn the damn language.

    That's fair.

    If they don't want to learn english, it would really be better if they went back home, though, where they'd be happier, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    One then wonders why did you bring up paying taxes in a conversation about immigrants, unless of course you're talking about illegal immigrants. But then no one has alluded to the notion that the people we are discussing were illegal immigrants. You assumed they were.
    No, I never discuss illegal immigrants. They're illegal invaders, or illegal aliens. Immigrants are present in accordance with existing law, not in spite of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    You're malcontent with immigrants in general has already been exposed (by your own commentary).
    No. Your refusal to recognize the meaning of the word "illegal" has been highlighted by your posts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •