View Poll Results: Is the European Union a good thing?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    21 58.33%
  • No

    15 41.67%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 125

Thread: Is the European Union a good thing?

  1. #1
    User C. Gerstle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Southeast US
    Last Seen
    08-21-10 @ 10:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    106

    Is the European Union a good thing?

    The European Union has provided a common market for European goods and has increased the standard of living in many of the member-states. Many "Eurosceptics," however, fear that as the EU's central government grows stronger as the organization evolves, the member-states lose their independance and their individual national identity.

    What do you think?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    10-14-09 @ 12:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    190

    Re: Is the European Union a good thing?

    I think you are right. Many countries including my country, Finland, joined for the economic benefit of raising the standard of how we live. This is true, there have been economy benefits to this. However it has come at a cost of independence and national identity. Norway was smart to stay out of the EU.

  3. #3
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Is the European Union a good thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lopettaa View Post
    I think you are right. Many countries including my country, Finland, joined for the economic benefit of raising the standard of how we live. This is true, there have been economy benefits to this. However it has come at a cost of independence and national identity. Norway was smart to stay out of the EU.
    The more damage that can be done to nationalism anywhere the more i like it. The more countries begin to blend the closer to one world government. Down with nationalism everywhere. It divides and makes us enemies.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    10-14-09 @ 12:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    190

    Re: Is the European Union a good thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    The more damage that can be done to nationalism anywhere the more i like it. The more countries begin to blend the closer to one world government. Down with nationalism everywhere. It divides and makes us enemies.
    I don't think it is good for people to forget who they are.

  5. #5
    activist professor Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tipping Velvet
    Last Seen
    07-01-09 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: Is the European Union a good thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lopettaa View Post
    I don't think it is good for people to forget who they are.
    I don't mind if people recall who they are. IT is when nationalistic walls keep as apart and do more damage than good.

    I am totally against anything that leads to nationalism any symbol of flag or pronouncement. Let the nations fade away.
    Democracy is the road to socialism. Karl Marx
    Life member NY city Fisting Club!
    I am Zoochie Purple Quivering Ghost Bear a Tiki Bar Tarte, you want some of my Panties.

  6. #6
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Is the European Union a good thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    The more damage that can be done to nationalism anywhere the more i like it. The more countries begin to blend the closer to one world government. Down with nationalism everywhere. It divides and makes us enemies.
    Because, you know, people would never have enemies if they didnt have a state to identify with.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    10-14-09 @ 12:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    190

    Re: Is the European Union a good thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    I don't mind if people recall who they are. IT is when nationalistic walls keep as apart and do more damage than good.

    I am totally against anything that leads to nationalism any symbol of flag or pronouncement. Let the nations fade away.
    It is Religion keep more people apart and to fight then anything alse in the world. Nationalism is not near as bad to separate people then religion.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    40,525

    Re: Is the European Union a good thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Because, you know, people would never have enemies if they didnt have a state to identify with.

    Nah. The One World Government would be our enemy, Goobieman. You know it and I know it, don't we?

    Inferno, your side is going to have to kill me and Goob first, or wait on us to die of old age.

    Then again, even after we're gone our kids might give your 1WG eight kinds of hell too. Hope you're patient.



    G.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #9
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Is the European Union a good thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Nah. The One World Government would be our enemy, Goobieman. You know it and I know it, don't we?
    I have no issue with a single world-wide government -- so long as it is the government formed by the Constitution of the United States.


    Really -- if all these EU countries (and EU supporters) are so worried about how the actions of the US affect them, why dont they apply for statehood? They're obviously not concerned with national identiy, so that can't mean anything, and as a state, they's have direct inflence over US policy - foerign and domestic.

    Funny, how I dont see that idea taking hold...

  10. #10
    Advisor Glücksritter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Berlin
    Last Seen
    12-04-11 @ 07:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    366

    Re: Is the European Union a good thing?

    Yes to an institution of all the European states, but no to the EU as it is today.

    There is only one institution that is voted - the European parliament, all the others, the council of ministers, the presidency and so on are not directly voted. The competences of the parliament is limited so more and more power is uncontrolable for the voter.

    Besides the treaty of Lisbon makes the constitutions of all those member states a piece of paper the EU court can take away any right which is guaranteed to you in your national constitution if the court decides.
    Rather dead than red!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •