View Poll Results: PUBIC POLL: Do you view women as property?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 16.07%
  • No

    47 83.93%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 71

Thread: PUBLIC POLL: Do you view women as property?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: PUBLIC POLL: Do you view women as property?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    to no longer pretend to be something I'm not.
    That is huge. One of the biggest things for me, when I was divorced, was the sense of relief I had when I no longer had to pretend to be something I wasn't for my ex-husband.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,394

    Re: PUBLIC POLL: Do you view women as property?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    They were douche bags.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Actually, there's a simple explanation for that: those guys are a**holes.

    EDIT: Jerry beat me to it.


    Yeah, that AND they thought they had some kind of ownership claim over me.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: PUBLIC POLL: Do you view women as property?

    I would say that one of the problems with women today is that they don't know how to let their man own them. Women don't know what that means because feminism has replaced "protect and provide for" with "command and abuse".

    On balance, however, men have forgotten how to own women, treating them like objects than valuable family members.

  4. #24
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    01-07-15 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,067

    Re: PUBLIC POLL: Do you view women as property?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Not in a legal sense, no, but imo I am reserved for my wife and she for me. In that way, a sociological and religious way, we are each other's property.
    Do you believe that your relationship with her gives you authority over her?
    Hi. TOGTFO.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: PUBLIC POLL: Do you view women as property?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    On balance, however, men have forgotten how to own women, treating them like objects than valuable family members.
    For instance, many Christian men have emphasized the "men are the leaders" in the home without realizing that leadership, as discussed in the New Testament, means SERVANT leadership. You can't lead if you aren't willing to serve.

    Husbands are to love their wives as Christ love the church, and laid his life down for it. A self-sacrificing love.

    That is completely at odds with the idea of ownership or property as we think of it in this day/age.

  6. #26
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    01-07-15 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,067

    Re: PUBLIC POLL: Do you view women as property?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I would say that one of the problems with women today is that they don't know how to let their man own them. Women don't know what that means because feminism has replaced "protect and provide for" with "command and abuse".

    On balance, however, men have forgotten how to own women, treating them like objects than valuable family members.
    But Jerry, there is a huge difference in "taking ownership of your relationship" and "owning your woman." Living up to your relational responsibilities is not "owning" your woman. People own animals and abuse them, people own property and don't care of it.

    I know what you are trying to say, and I applaud you for your position, however I disagree with the words you are using to articulate your point.
    Hi. TOGTFO.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: PUBLIC POLL: Do you view women as property?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Do you believe that your relationship with her gives you authority over her?
    IN all fairness, I think that marriage implies a certain degree of ownership by both parties over the RELATIONSHIP. One of the things that broke my marriage irreparably, other than the cheating, was the idea my ex-husband had that he wasn't obligated to get consensus before moving ahead. So, if he wanted to buy a $17,000 car, he could do so without getting my input and consent.

    He wanted to be married while living like a single guy.

    When you marry, there is a certain degree of autonomy that is lost. That doesn't mean that you are each other's possessions, but that your lives and fortunes are linked, and you can't make big decisions without each other.

    That's actually one of the reasons that, while I adore my boyfriend, I'm in no hurry to get married. I'm not eager to relinquish that measure of control over my own life.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: PUBLIC POLL: Do you view women as property?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Do you believe that your relationship with her gives you authority over her?
    Again, not in a legal sense, no.

    However, we both together chose to renew our vows under Judeo-Christian 'law', so on a sociological/religious level, that does give me authority over her so long as I'm just.

    Now don't get me wrong here, I've made my share of mistakes and share in the guilt for what's going wrong in my marriage today, but typically the husband/father is the head of the household.

    As a side note, a single woman or a widow has equal authority in the eyes of the church as any man so long as her head is "covered" with the authority of Christ. This is the exact same concept as having credentials to make a claim or in making an argument under another credible authority's study/research.
    Last edited by Jerry; 06-22-09 at 12:27 PM.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,394

    Re: PUBLIC POLL: Do you view women as property?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    IN all fairness, I think that marriage implies a certain degree of ownership by both parties over the RELATIONSHIP. One of the things that broke my marriage irreparably, other than the cheating, was the idea my ex-husband had that he wasn't obligated to get consensus before moving ahead. So, if he wanted to buy a $17,000 car, he could do so without getting my input and consent.

    He wanted to be married while living like a single guy.

    When you marry, there is a certain degree of autonomy that is lost. That doesn't mean that you are each other's possessions, but that your lives and fortunes are linked, and you can't make big decisions without each other.

    That's actually one of the reasons that, while I adore my boyfriend, I'm in no hurry to get married. I'm not eager to relinquish that measure of control over my own life.
    Why are the rules different once you tie the knot? I don't think it has anything to do with being married or not. The people in the relationship agree to a set of rules and conditions to follow. Do these change upon marriage?
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: PUBLIC POLL: Do you view women as property?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    Why are the rules different once you tie the knot? I don't think it has anything to do with being married or not. The people in the relationship agree to a set of rules and conditions to follow. Do these change upon marriage?
    Not necesssarily because of marriage, but the dynamics change over time. I will use my best friend as an example. He dated the same girl for a long time, and they lived with each other for years before they got married. Early on in the relationship, she was sort of timid and did whatever he wanted for the most part. Or at least, let him do whatever he wanted to. Then over time, she asserted herself more and balanced the relationship to where he had to compromise with her, and now it is in full reverse of how it started, as she completely dominates him and he has to basically ask permission to be able to do anything, and she sets the schedule for the household. I don't know if he is as timid as she was, but he seems to be unwilling to confront her anymore. There are plenty of times, where if my wife talked to me the way she talks to him, I would have left.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •