View Poll Results: Do you support the continuation of the US space programme?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    56 86.15%
  • No

    3 4.62%
  • Only the continuation of the research

    5 7.69%
  • Other

    1 1.54%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 170

Thread: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

  1. #11
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,269

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    Y'all talk like none of that could have been developed outside of NASA. NASA happens to get a lot of money, well more than the NSF and other scientific funding agencies. They have come up with many great things, but many of those things would have also been developed in other labs if NASA hadn't done it themselves.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #12
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Y'all talk like none of that could have been developed outside of NASA. NASA happens to get a lot of money, well more than the NSF and other scientific funding agencies. They have come up with many great things, but many of those things would have also been developed in other labs if NASA hadn't done it themselves.
    "Could" and "would" are most charitably described as guesses.

    That NASA did spur the development of such things is easily described as fact.

  3. #13
    Matthew 16:3
    Tucker Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,368

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    It's one of the few government programs I support 100%
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,269

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    NASA did do those things, but you can bet your bottom dollar that most if not all of what they invented would have been invented in other labs and by other engineers. Especially things like LEDs and artificial limbs and the likes. And if all that funding wasn't going to NASA, but instead other research programs who knows what else would have been invented. NASA takes a lot of money from other more valid research, so they can spend a lot on doing all sorts of research which can be done better and for less money at Universities. In the end, you have to ask what the actual goal of NASA is and how practical it is to achieve that. Unfortunately, NASA's mandates are given via the President and the scientists get no say in the matter. If the President says go to Mars, they have to work on ways to go to Mars. If the President says to work more on astrophysics, they have to work more on astrophysics. Not being independent also really hurts the overall goals and organization of NASA. In terms of space travel and planet colonization; that's going to take more than the US throwing everything (and I mean everything, we'd have zero money for anything else) it has at the problem to solve it. There's plenty of research out there to do without bogging down into one area because people have seen too many Star Trek episodes.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #15
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    NASA takes a lot of money from other more valid research
    What "valid" research programs do you have in mind?

  6. #16
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    Space travel should certainly continue. However, in times such as these we need to be a bit more practical in how we operate.

    1) We should start looking into finding viable commercial activities in space. Examples might be mining rare elements from asteroids or advanced zero-g manufacturing techniques.

    2) The biggest priority in building a launch platform should be lowering the cost of getting material into orbit. The scaled composites white knight program showed how flying as high as possible using a normal airplane before firing the rockets dramatically cut costs. Although it is not yet possible, a space elevator would offer even bigger cost reductions.

    3) Robots, not people should be going into space. Compare the cost and effectiveness of the mars rover program to the planned attempts at sending people into mars. People are heavy, need too many resources, and have both physical and mental programs from being stuck in space too long. Manned spaceflight is not entirely useless, but robots should be used whenever possible.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,269

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    What "valid" research programs do you have in mind?
    Increases in University level research. The vast majority of research that we have, that later engineers take and develop marketable technology from, is from the University labs. I'd put more emphasis into high energy physics as well to develop the necessary detectors and equipment necessary for their research. Lots of interesting stuff. I'm a personal fan of atomic, molecular, and optical physics since you can create macroscopic quantum systems with those and actually start to probe the laws and predictions of quantum mechanics. University level engineering should also be well more funded, there's tons of great stuff that comes out of those labs. Plus the money you spend on a University lab vs. NASA is night and day, grad students are cheap, hardworking suckers.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    06-29-09 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Y'all talk like none of that could have been developed outside of NASA. NASA happens to get a lot of money, well more than the NSF and other scientific funding agencies. They have come up with many great things, but many of those things would have also been developed in other labs if NASA hadn't done it themselves.
    Bad argument. It's the same argument that says - we haven't been attacked since 9/11 because of the policies...- It's easy to say but is invalid.

    Here let me add to your argument with one of my own - Yeah but it would have taken 20+ years longer - You can't prove it and neither can I.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,269

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    LEDs were well on their way before NASA, artificial limb technology was also being developed with much interest and funding due to the applications to the medical field. Many things which NASA developed would be developed because of the interest it has to many different fields. Anyone in science would be able to tell this. NASA has made some things, and perhaps because of the level of funding they receive they were able to get it done first. The point is people point to NASA and say "see how great it is!", but scientifically what are they doing? Their best contributions are to astronomy. All the engineering they come up with can be done elsewhere for cheaper, guaranteed. But people get this vision of running off to other galaxies and colonizing other planets without thinking what it would take to do so and what practicalities there are to attempting to do so. Things of that nature would take most of the resources America has at its disposal to develop. Meanwhile, there's a plethora of other research which could be funded instead, physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, engineering, etc.

    NASA is cool and all, but it's too interconnected with the whims of politicians and some of what people want it to do is impractical. If you want to fix NASA, you'd isolate it from the demands of the President and would most likely nix the manned space sector in favor of other research avenues till manned space exploration becomes financially and technologically possible. As stated, currently a trip to Mars would raise your risk of cancer by 30%, so there are many problems to work out. In the meantime, we can fund other scientific research which would have a larger impact on our lives.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edify_Always_In_All_Ways View Post
    Kind of cool how a Democratic president was the one who pushed so hard for us to get to the moon, then, huh? I guess they're not all taskmasters or loafers.

    The space program is absolutely necessary, both for the innovation it brings and because if we don't colonize space, someone else will and they're going to have the first crack at the infinite resources that lie beyond our atmosphere. I would absolutely die happy if I lived long enough to see the Doomsday clock disabled as we spread into space, and maybe even to see Enrico Fermi's paradox fade away as we found another intelligent life form.

    Fermi paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Of course, without public schools we're not going to have many educated colonists, but that's a whole other ball game. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin both graduated from public high schools.


    The evidence is that no intelligent life form has visited this solar system in hundreds of millions of years.

    There's not a lot of evidence that an intelligent species exists in the solar system now.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •