View Poll Results: Do you support the continuation of the US space programme?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    56 86.15%
  • No

    3 4.62%
  • Only the continuation of the research

    5 7.69%
  • Other

    1 1.54%
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 170

Thread: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

  1. #151
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,513

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Go back and actualy read what I posted and don't just gloss over it because it does not agree with you.



    The link did not claim credit for the discovery, it claimed credit for the improvements. Again more intellectual dishonesty.



    "Memory foam, also known as temper foam, was developed under a NASA contract in the 1970s that set out to improve seat cushioning and crash protection for airline pilots and passengers. Memory foam has widespread commercial applications, in addition to the popular mattresses and pillows. For the latest Spinoff article, please visit: http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/Spinoff2005/ch_6.html."

    "Barcodes were not invented by NASA. NASA developed a special type of barcode for inventory of space shuttle and other space system components that could endure harsh environments, but this should not be mistakened for the original barcode. Similarly, NASA was not the first to use quartz as a piezoelectric material for timekeeping. The first quartz clock dates back to 1927. However in the late 1960s, NASA partnered with a company to make a highly accurate quartz clock. This clock was on the market for a few years but is no longer available. Further, NASA did not invent the smoke detector. NASA’s connection to the modern smoke detector is that it made one with adjustable sensitivity as part of the Skylab project. The device was made commercially available by Honeywell. The consumer could use it to avoid “nuisance” alarms while cooking. Like the quartz clock, this device is no longer available." - http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/spinfaq.htm

    "Tang, Teflon, and Velcro, are not spinoffs of the Space Program. General Foods developed Tang in 1957, and it has been on supermarket shelves since 1959. In 1962, when astronaut John Glenn performed eating experiments in orbit, Tang was selected for the menu, launching the powdered drink’s heightened public awareness. NASA also raised the celebrity status of Teflon, a material invented for DuPont in 1938, when the Agency applied it to heat shields, space suits, and cargo hold liners. Velcro was used during the Apollo missions to anchor equipment for astronauts’ convenience in zero gravity situations. Although it is a Swiss invention from the 1940s, it has since been associated with the Space Program." - http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/spinfaq.htm

    From NASA's web site. It does not look like they are taking credit for anything they did not do.



    Shown above by NASA's own website they did not take credit for either.All of that and still no degree in chemistry!
    I didn't say NASA took credit, I said some people GIVE NASA credit, stupid people who watch too much Star Trek...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #152
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,765

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    the word is dangerous...
    If we really could extract shale oil for 30 bucks, it would be happening. What are the sources for that number?
    "People who think it is to dangers to the environment etc." - Blackdog

    Please explain how what I said (listed above) represents shale or extracting it?

    This really has nothing to do with anything I stated.


    No Lives Matter

  3. #153
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,513

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Yea facts with no fallacy is weak.

    Now we add an ad-hom.



    Does not offend at all. It's just not backed up by anything like facts.
    'splain, Lucy, what you mean by facts with no fallacy....if you can...
    what are you, some high school kid taking a debate class?
    Again, you don't have the knowledge to speak intelligently on the topic.
    Scarecrow does, but you don't.....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  4. #154
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,765

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    I didn't say NASA took credit, I said some people GIVE NASA credit, stupid people who watch too much Star Trek...
    That is a bald face lie...

    "A good deal of what NASA brags about were in existence long before NASA came into existence, but they try to claim ALL the credit." - UtahBill


    No Lives Matter

  5. #155
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,513

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Private schools paid for by my parents. Would you like me to list them for you as well?
    Public schools and our public school system are an abomination. So much so we sent our daughter through private schools as well. She is an engineer now.



    .
    Your parents got a poor ROI, hope you fared better with your daughter's education...
    I am 63, spent my working years in and around nuclear energy, around a LOT of engineers, and I can't think of any of them who went to private school.
    I guess THEIR education is an abomination?
    Was yours a church sponsored private school?
    What is your take on evolution?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  6. #156
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,765

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    'splain, Lucy, what you mean by facts with no fallacy....if you can...
    Certaianly.

    I presented facts backed up by evidence and stayed on topic with no fallacy replies or arguments.

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    what are you, some high school kid taking a debate class?
    Considering your performance up to now, you mite want to take one.

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Again, you don't have the knowledge to speak intelligently on the topic.
    Scarecrow does, but you don't.....
    And yet you have not refuted anything I have stated at all with evidence, just opinion. Your opinion does not account for much when the facts say different.


    No Lives Matter

  7. #157
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,513

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    That is a bald face lie...

    "A good deal of what NASA brags about were in existence long before NASA came into existence, but they try to claim ALL the credit." - UtahBill
    you are mixing posts....
    I said that some people give NASA credit for things they never did, and you say NASA agrees, so how is it a lie? Just because YOU never heard it doesn't mean it was never said.....

    Some very ignorant people hear something and repeat it, thinking that somehow they are just as right as the person they heard it from, but in fact they are just as wrong.

    Yeah, tell me what private schools you attended, so I can make sure none of my grandkids attend them....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  8. #158
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,765

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Your parents got a poor ROI, hope you fared better with your daughter's education...
    More ad-hom and no substance.

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    I am 63, spent my working years in and around nuclear energy, around a LOT of engineers, and I can't think of any of them who went to private school.
    If you are 63 I would expect you to act like it. Again this is off topic and at this point pretty worthless.

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    I guess THEIR education is an abomination?
    Was yours a church sponsored private school?
    What is your take on evolution?
    As if any of this has anything to do with the topic.

    More fallacy and ad-homs.


    No Lives Matter

  9. #159
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,513

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    More ad-hom and no substance.



    If you are 63 I would expect you to act like it. Again this is off topic and at this point pretty worthless.



    As if any of this has anything to do with the topic.

    More fallacy and ad-homs.
    still no answers, what are you afraid of?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Space travel. Is it necessary? Do you support it?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    the word is dangerous...
    If we really could extract shale oil for 30 bucks, it would be happening. What are the sources for that number?
    It used to be oiltech.com, but they've been sold and traded etc etc, and Shell Oil had developed an in situ method of oil extraction, again for roughly $30 bucks, and this would be eight or nine years ago.

    And, no, it wouldn't be happening, not when the following real scenario happens:

    GW Bush urges Congress to lift it's ban on domestic drilling and oil exploration.

    But forgets to countermand his own EO forbidding same.

    Congress under the Messiah has been further limiting oil shale resource licenses...

    ...and it's quite apparent that none of the people who have the authority to make the US energy independent want to do so.

    ...just like neither Dems nor Repubs want to stop illegal immigration. They're getting something by selling American citizens down the river in both cases.

    Technical merit and morality and national need count for nothing against political greed.

    And this is why I would not object to a private fund for building good solid brick walls all over Washington and wherever politicians may be found, that, and a national stockpile of tar and feathers.
    Last edited by Scarecrow Akhbar; 06-24-09 at 11:12 PM.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •