View Poll Results: How do You rate George W. Bush's Presidency?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's The Best President We've Ever Had

    5 4.55%
  • He Was One Of The Best

    7 6.36%
  • He Was Pretty Good

    8 7.27%
  • He's Alright

    9 8.18%
  • He Was Kind Of Bad

    14 12.73%
  • He Was One Of The Worst

    51 46.36%
  • He Was The Worst

    16 14.55%
Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 384

Thread: Bush's Presidency

  1. #231
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Bush's Presidency

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The weakening of the military under Clinton is greatly exaggerated.
    Based on what?
    DOD spending FY1989-2001 ($1B)
    1989: 304.0
    1990: 300.1
    1991: 319.7
    1992: 302.6
    1993: 292.4
    1994: 282.3
    1995: 273.6
    1996: 266.0
    1997: 271.7
    1998: 270.3
    1999: 275.5
    2000: 295.0
    2001: 306.1

  2. #232
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 10:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Bush's Presidency

    Quote Originally Posted by wbreese91 View Post
    But they will say something, you know it. Anyway, I can agree that we need to cut our federal budget massively and probably raise taxes a bit (unpopular as this may be) to get ourselves out of this hole. Obama, however, seems blissfully unaware that money doesn't just shoot out the mint's butt like diahrea from someone who just chugged a whole bottle of X-Lax.
    He doesn't seem to. I thought no one could outspend W, but that didn't last long.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  3. #233
    Advisor wbreese91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Marietta, Ohio
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    407

    Re: Bush's Presidency

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Largely continuing the start from President Bush the elder. At times, the military needs to be cut, to force it to attack head on the "waste, fraud and abuse" problem.

    Further, the cuts in the military come nowhere close to explaining why the debt goes up least under democratic presidents. Interestingly, if you look at the deficit in relation to GDP, both the last 2 democratic presidents reduced the deficit as a portion of GDP.
    I would be interested in researching this. It seems very counter-intuitive. Don't forget to factor in inflation, and who was controlling Congress at the time though.
    “Justitia suum cuique distribuit” Justice renders to every one his due

    - Cicero

  4. #234
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 10:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Bush's Presidency

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Based on what?
    DOD spending FY1989-2001 ($1B)
    1989: 304.0
    1990: 300.1
    1991: 319.7
    1992: 302.6
    1993: 292.4
    1994: 282.3
    1995: 273.6
    1996: 266.0
    1997: 271.7
    1998: 270.3
    1999: 275.5
    2000: 295.0
    2001: 306.1
    If you cannot defend the world's most nuclear armed nation on $266 billion you really need to find a new line of work. Because you frankly suck at your job.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  5. #235
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Bush's Presidency

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    If you cannot defend the world's most nuclear armed nation on $266 billion you really need to find a new line of work. Because you frankly suck at your job.
    Defend this position.
    Show how it can be done just as well, for less.

  6. #236
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,457
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bush's Presidency

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Based on what?
    DOD spending FY1989-2001 ($1B)
    1989: 304.0
    1990: 300.1
    1991: 319.7
    1992: 302.6
    1993: 292.4
    1994: 282.3
    1995: 273.6
    1996: 266.0
    1997: 271.7
    1998: 270.3
    1999: 275.5
    2000: 295.0
    2001: 306.1
    Spending is not a measure of the ability of a military.

  7. #237
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 10:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Bush's Presidency

    Quote Originally Posted by wbreese91 View Post
    Also agreed. Conservative nut-jobs greatly exagerrated it, but he still cut from the military disproportionally compared to other areas of government.
    True, but remember that Clinton was following the same path blazed by Reagan and expanded by Bush HW. The detractors of Clinton tend to ignore that it was Reagan who started gutting the military. Cheney himself proposed cutting many of the weapons we use today as a cost cutting tool. This often gets lost in the partisan vomit.

    Furthermore, remember at the time, our military was geared towards fighting a conventional war against Soviet forces. That threat disappeared in 1991. It makes little sense to keep funding a large force designed to fight an enemy that no longer exists.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #238
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 10:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Bush's Presidency

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Defend this position.
    Show how it can be done just as well, for less.
    Sure. Let's start with a simple question. When was the last time Russia or China were attacked by another country? I chose them because they have the second and third most nukes and both have very large standing Armies. Just like us! How much do they spend on defense in U.S. dollars? Is it:

    A) $266 billion,
    B) More than $266 billion, or
    C) Less than $266 billion?

    I'll wait here for the answer. If it's C (and it is, no need to look it up) I have just demonstrated that you can effectively defend your country from attack for less than $266 billion. And, in the case of China, you can also do it with a budget surplus! Isn't it ironic that Communists are better able to manage their money? It's also good given we need them to fund our deficits, but when you are taking money management 101 from Communists you really need to start electing better people.
    Last edited by stekim; 06-22-09 at 03:53 PM.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  9. #239
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,667

    Re: Bush's Presidency

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Spending is not a measure of the ability of a military.
    Yep, just look at how badly the Afghans beat up the Soviets...
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

  10. #240
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,667

    Re: Bush's Presidency

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    Sure. Let's start with a simple question. When was the last time Russia or China were attacked by another country? I chose them because they have the second and third most nukes and both have very large standing Armies. Just like us! How much do they spend on defense in U.S. dollars? Is it:

    A) $266 billion,
    B) More than $266 billion, or
    C) Less than $266 billion?

    I'll wait here for the answer. If it's C (and it is, no need to look it up) I have just demonstrated that you can effectively defend your country from attack for less than $266 billion. And, in the case of China, you can also do it with a budget surplus! Isn't it ironic that Communists are better able to manage their money? It's also good given we need them to fund our deficits, but when you are taking money management 101 from Communists you really need to start electing better people.
    Russia has the 1st with regards to amount of nukes
    The USA is 2nd with regards to amount of nukes
    France is 3rd with regards to amount of nukes
    China has the 4th with regards to amount of nukes


    The USA spends 48% of the World's Military Spending
    China spends 8% of the World's Military Spending
    Russia spends 5% of the World's Military Spending


    Now, can they defend their countries just as effectively as we can? You didn't prove it at all... at best it is a hypothetical. I would say that we have the ability to take an offensive war abroad much better than they could, and consequently we could defend our nation better than they could, based off of the navy alone...
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •