View Poll Results: Hiroshima Bombing vs. Torture

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hiroshima was worse

    14 50.00%
  • Torture is worse

    4 14.29%
  • Hiroshima was neseccary

    22 78.57%
  • Torture was neseccary

    8 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 116

Thread: Hiroshima Bombing vs. Torture

  1. #41
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Hiroshima Bombing vs. Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Nevertheless, it seems clear that, even without the atomic bombing attacks, air supremacy over Japan could have exerted sufficient pressure to bring about unconditional surrender and obviate the need for invasion.
    which is contradictory to most if not all US documents showing vast preparations to conduct a land offensive and invasion of Japan. Furthermore, the production of about 2 A-bombs per month was calculated and discussed as weapons to be used during the ongoing invasion of Japan.

    Your speculation is just that, speculation. You might as well claim the Cardinals would have one the SuperBowl if one of the many penalties was or wasn't called. Its absurd claiming what you do.

    Based on a detailed investigation of all the facts, and supported by the testimony of the surviving Japanese leaders involved, it is the Survey's opinion that certainly prior to 31 December 1945, and in all probability prior to 1 November 1945, Japan would have surrendered even if the atomic bombs had not been dropped, even if Russia had not entered the war, and even if no invasion had been planned or contemplated.
    Funny how the US military leaders were anticipating quite the opposite, though they did hold out some hope that surrender may occur.

    And so the bombs were unnecessary, as it is quite clear that Japan was willing to surrender.
    But not on terms the US demanded so your argument is moot. The conditions for surrender offered to Japan by the US were fair. Japan refused. The first bomb was dropped. They refused again. The second was dropped. They consented. The war was over. All of this occurring while the US planned for a land invasion.
    Last edited by scourge99; 06-05-09 at 01:13 PM.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  2. #42
    Too big to fail
    niftydrifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    03-03-16 @ 02:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,725

    Re: Hiroshima Bombing vs. Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
    Like the Pearl Harbor vs. 9/11 thread. Which was a worse? Which was more necessary?
    false analogies are worse than valid analogies. valid analogies are more necessary than false ones.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3227&dateline=1247527  127

  3. #43
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Hiroshima Bombing vs. Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
    It was just an excuse to drop this weapon that we spent the big bucks on. We could then really study the effects of nuclear holocaust. That I guess was one of the benefits from your view. Whats a few dead civilians when we can see what radiation does to them. Yipee Go Team America.
    Its always amusing when such flagerant speculation supported by nothing more than the imagination of those who wish to impugn the actions of the US is blathered.

    If you can PROVE this then do so, however, all the EVIDENCE points to the conclusion that the bomb was simply viewed as another weapon to be used to achieve victory over the Japanese. Surrender by use of the a-bomb was hoped for but this outcome was not given any better probability except by those today who benefit from the error of hindsight.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Hiroshima Bombing vs. Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Anyone that takes a quick look through that thread will realize that I was the one that provided overwhelming evidence to support my case whereas you simply resorted to statements like this.
    No. You failed to demonstrate that the japs were going to surrender, since the japs did not surrender until we nuked them, which is, by the way, the historical fact of the matter.

    You do know the war ended AFTER the bombs were dropped, not before?

    You do know that we demanded their surrender before we nuked them, and they refused, right?

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Hiroshima Bombing vs. Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Hiroshima killed over a hundred thousand people. That's a pretty high bar on the brutality scale to top.
    Wasn't brutal. We didn't start the war. Nor did we treat the half-dozen or so Japanese prisoners that surrendered like diseased cattle.

    Perhaps if the Japanese hadn't started the war, they wouldn't have come face to face with someone that was totally pissed off and capable of so thoroughly whupping their asses that they were reduced to using suicide pilots to fend us off while they prepared their old men and babies to defend their shores.

  6. #46
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Hiroshima Bombing vs. Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    You do know that we demanded their surrender before we nuked them, and they refused, right?
    That they didnt surrender is obviously -our- fault, as we demanded an unconditional surrender.

    Had -we- not been so uncomprimising, the war would have been over and the bombs not been dropped.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 06-05-09 at 01:37 PM.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Hiroshima Bombing vs. Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    I don't see the connection between torture and exterminating an entire population...

    am I missing something?

    Hiroshima didn't exterminate an entire population.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Hiroshima Bombing vs. Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    And so, it took two boimbs to force the surrender, because...?

    Dropping the bombs saved American and Japanese lives. That's what matters.
    No.

    The only thing that mattered was that nuking those two cities saved American lives.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Hiroshima Bombing vs. Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    It didn't take two bombs to force the surrender, as the Japanese were willing to surrender before the bombs were dropped, as I've already outlined in the other thread and backed up with substantial evidence.
    If they were willing to surrender, but didn't, then they weren't willing to surrender.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Hiroshima Bombing vs. Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Because the Allies were only willing to accept unconditional surrender.
    In other words, they weren't willing to surrender at the terms presented to them, and therefore, by definition, they weren't willing to surrender.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •