View Poll Results: Will Obama's cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 13.89%
  • No

    31 86.11%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 109

Thread: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

  1. #21
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:00 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,436
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    What he didn't do is make any demands, ultimatums, or threats.

    Now Obama really didn't either because although he stated pretty severely that Israel needs to stop he also stated unequivocally that the bond between the US and Israel will not be broken. Thus, empty platitudes.
    This has been my huge disagreement with our handling of Israel and the Middle East myself. If Israel is not going to do what we want, why do we keep supporting them?

    I really don't think there is going to be peace in the ME, and all we do by our involvement is look foolish. Time to back out and let them work out there own damnation.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    05-17-16 @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    This has been my huge disagreement with our handling of Israel and the Middle East myself. If Israel is not going to do what we want, why do we keep supporting them?

    I really don't think there is going to be peace in the ME, and all we do by our involvement is look foolish. Time to back out and let them work out there own damnation.
    I've never really understood the close ties.
    Historically when Israel was first created it was in fact Europe who was closer to Israel. Why did it change?
    It's not like UK/US alliance [We'd love a few extra billion a year as well thanks :P]
    Does US/Israel do something secret together? Does US gets anything?


  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    This has been my huge disagreement with our handling of Israel and the Middle East myself. If Israel is not going to do what we want, why do we keep supporting them?

    I really don't think there is going to be peace in the ME, and all we do by our involvement is look foolish. Time to back out and let them work out there own damnation.
    Well it's interesting to me that we don't give some type of ultimatum. If Bush thought the settlements were wrong, Obama thinks they're wrong, most Jewish Americans don't support them, etc then tell them point blank to stop or else.

    But telling them point blank to stop while inserting the caveat that our support for Israel is unbreakable turns it all instantly to empty rhetoric.

  4. #24
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 10:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Quote Originally Posted by niftydrifty View Post
    "arguments?" Where do you see those?
    Honestly, I didn't even look for arguments. I just assumed that there were some in there somewhere. Right when I saw "dear leader" I skimmed over the rest of it.

  5. #25
    Student Catman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    07-14-09 @ 08:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    176

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Isreal has been like a guardian in that part of the world. They kicked Arab ass all over the desert. IMO, the US likes it's friends to be powerful and on our side.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    05-17-16 @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catman View Post
    Isreal has been like a guardian in that part of the world. They kicked Arab ass all over the desert. IMO, the US likes it's friends to be powerful and on our side.
    That's it?

    Jeez. I figured it'd be a little bit more indepth but okay.


  7. #27
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,320

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Does US/Israel do something secret together? Does US gets anything?
    We're working on a secret project to turn the whole planet into one big cheese cake!
    But you haven't heard this from me...

    Besides the technologies sharing, the democracy beacon in the mideast and an occasional support in the international politics stage, I think there's some kind of cultural alliance between the two nations.

    I also thought Obama is going to cut the ties between the two nations, but after I've heard his speech in Cairo, I dunno, there might be something bigger to this alliance.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I've never really understood the close ties.
    Historically when Israel was first created it was in fact Europe who was closer to Israel. Why did it change?
    It's not like UK/US alliance [We'd love a few extra billion a year as well thanks :P]
    Does US/Israel do something secret together? Does US gets anything?
    Shared values and I think we're impressed frankly with their ability to maintain being the only really free country in the area.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    05-17-16 @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    We're working on a secret project to turn the whole planet into one big cheese cake!
    But you haven't heard this from me...

    Besides the technologies sharing, the democracy beacon in the mideast and an occasional support in the international politics stage, I think there's some kind of cultural alliance between the two nations.

    I also thought Obama is going to cut the ties between the two nations, but after I've heard his speech in Cairo, I dunno, there might be something bigger to this alliance.

    Should have figured, well i love cheesecake so go right ahead!

    Ohh i see, so nothing really in particular just it's in both your interests? Fair enough.

    Why?
    US will never choose Muslims over Israel. Relax. Hell would freeze over before US deserts Israel
    Last edited by Laila; 06-04-09 at 02:48 PM.


  10. #30
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    05-17-16 @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    Shared values and I think we're impressed frankly with their ability to maintain being the only really free country in the area.
    Damn ...
    So no chance of a cheque coming to us then?

    I always just figured it was because US had power over ME through Israel but that makes sense too


Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •