View Poll Results: Will Obama's cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 13.89%
  • No

    31 86.11%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 109

Thread: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

  1. #91
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,346
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Lerxst, reread your post sir.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    From President Obama's speech:



    This is somehow weaker because he did not use the word "terrorist"?
    Yes.

    Did he say "muslim extremists"? No, he said "violent extremists", as if violence is a religion. Did he say "muslim terrorists"? No, he never once linked the two, even though if a global word association poll was held, the word "terrorist" would follow "muslim" in the minds of most non-muslims.

    The tensions between the muslims and the civilized world will ease when the muslims start refusing the presence of terrorists in their midst. So long as they continue to coddle them, sane people will not view any of them as anything except extremist archaic anarchic barbarians.

  3. #93
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,346
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Did he say "muslim terrorists"? No, he never once linked the two
    Violent extremists have exploited these tensions in a small but potent minority of Muslims.
    Wrong again there Scarecrow. He clearly links the two.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Obama's speech was great. He was very well received, he seemed very sincere, and I think that those in attendance picked up on that. Obama, more than any President in recent history, has more of a chance in extracting positive results (for the U.S.) out of his foreign policy in the Middle East.
    I define "positive result for the US" in the Middle East as the extermination of terrorists, religious freedom in feudalistic muslim nations, woman's liberation, and an end to anti-west bigotry.

    Any of y'all think any of that is going to happen in your lifetime?

  5. #95
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    01-07-15 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,067

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Yes it is weaker.
    Terror is a stronger word than violence, and killing people just because they belong to a certain nation or culture(the west) is not simply violence.
    You're American. Was 9/11 simply violence for you?
    Simply speaking, yes...9/11 was violence. There is always a reason behind these things. Not using the word terrorism is a strategy of reducing the attention being given to the perpetrators.

    Terrorist acts seek international attention as a affect multiplier. Killing one man is not that big of a deal. Killing one man, sending out a video tape of the act, and having your groups name and the act broadcast worldwide in a number of media outlets becomes a big enough deal that it will spurn government to stand up and make statement to the media. It makes the operational capabilities of the group appear larger than they really are, it boosts the image that they are force to be reckoned with internationally. It's smoke and mirrors in most cases.

    I don't want the President of the U.S. giving anymore reference to these people that he absolutely has to. I don't want him talking about their acts, I don't want him talking about their motivations, I don't want him saying anything that the enemy could spin. If anything I want them announcing only confirmed kills and captures on terrorist operatives, giving only those details that would make the terrorists worry that we had black clad executioners stalking them where they sleep.
    Hi. TOGTFO.

  6. #96
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    01-07-15 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,067

    Angry Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Lerxst, reread your post sir.
    Done.

    Hi. TOGTFO.

  7. #97
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    01-07-15 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,067

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    I define "positive result for the US" in the Middle East as the extermination of terrorists, religious freedom in feudalistic muslim nations, woman's liberation, and an end to anti-west bigotry.

    Any of y'all think any of that is going to happen in your lifetime?
    I think those are good things too.


    We differ on the mechanics of how to get there. Nothing has worked to date. I'm all for trying a different approach.
    Hi. TOGTFO.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    I think those are good things too.


    We differ on the mechanics of how to get there. Nothing has worked to date. I'm all for trying a different approach.
    I'm all for the use of Cobalt.

  9. #99
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 10:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Does any of the above states receive any aid from the US?
    Economic trade and military aid. It's pretty normal.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #100
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,316

    Re: Will Obama's Cairo speech motivate a new set of terror attacks in the ME?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Simply speaking, yes...9/11 was violence. There is always a reason behind these things. Not using the word terrorism is a strategy of reducing the attention being given to the perpetrators.

    Terrorist acts seek international attention as a affect multiplier. Killing one man is not that big of a deal. Killing one man, sending out a video tape of the act, and having your groups name and the act broadcast worldwide in a number of media outlets becomes a big enough deal that it will spurn government to stand up and make statement to the media. It makes the operational capabilities of the group appear larger than they really are, it boosts the image that they are force to be reckoned with internationally. It's smoke and mirrors in most cases.

    I don't want the President of the U.S. giving anymore reference to these people that he absolutely has to. I don't want him talking about their acts, I don't want him talking about their motivations, I don't want him saying anything that the enemy could spin. If anything I want them announcing only confirmed kills and captures on terrorist operatives, giving only those details that would make the terrorists worry that we had black clad executioners stalking them where they sleep.
    I can agree with most of it.
    But the choice of words in such an important speech will have its future side effects.
    Well then you should refrain in this thread because you certainly didn't "win."
    Who the heck died and made you a judge?
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •