View Poll Results: How Much Would You Pay for Less Government?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Up to 20%

    1 5.56%
  • Up to 30%

    2 11.11%
  • Up to 40%

    0 0%
  • Up to 50%

    0 0%
  • Up to 60%

    0 0%
  • Up to 70%

    0 0%
  • Up to 80%

    0 0%
  • Up to 90%

    2 11.11%
  • Over 90% (specify amount)

    3 16.67%
  • Other (specify)

    10 55.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: How Much Would Ypu Pay for Less Government?

  1. #1
    Educator ronpaulvoter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 02:25 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    627

    Post How Much Would Ypu Pay for Less Government?

    Yes, this is hypothetical. But let's have some fun.

    Let's assume that for a one time fee, you could roll back the size of all levels of government in the US (federal, state and local) to what it was in 1955.

    There would be no "great society," no medicare or medicaid (health care costs at this time were very modest and most people never bothered to even think about insurance), no EPA, no OSHA, no DEA, no RICO, no NAFTA, no GATT, no wars, and very modest taxes (in real terms) compared to today.
    And yes, you would live in today's world with all of your high-tech gadgets.

    The question: What is the MAXIMUM one time fee you would be willing to pay to roll back all levels of government this far?

    Since people make widely varying incomes, I have expressed the choices in a percent of your yearly income. Use your comments to express amounts and any conditions you might want.

  2. #2
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,498
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How Much Would Ypu Pay for Less Government?

    I voted other. If it is the right thing to do, it should be free in this case. If it is the wrong thing to do, any penny more is too expensive.

  3. #3
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,689

    Re: How Much Would Ypu Pay for Less Government?

    Who would you be paying anyway- the government?


    I'm sorry, this makes no sense, even in a hypothetical way.
    Is what you're living for today, worth dying for tomorrow?
    _____________________________________________

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: How Much Would Ypu Pay for Less Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulvoter View Post
    Yes, this is hypothetical. But let's have some fun.

    Let's assume that for a one time fee, you could roll back the size of all levels of government in the US (federal, state and local) to what it was in 1955.

    There would be no "great society," no medicare or medicaid (health care costs at this time were very modest and most people never bothered to even think about insurance), no EPA, no OSHA, no DEA, no RICO, no NAFTA, no GATT, no wars, and very modest taxes (in real terms) compared to today.
    And yes, you would live in today's world with all of your high-tech gadgets.

    The question: What is the MAXIMUM one time fee you would be willing to pay to roll back all levels of government this far?

    Since people make widely varying incomes, I have expressed the choices in a percent of your yearly income. Use your comments to express amounts and any conditions you might want.
    Um...reducing government means I pay less....so...I don't understand the question

  5. #5
    Educator ronpaulvoter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 02:25 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    627

    fyi Re: How Much Would Ypu Pay for Less Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    Who would you be paying anyway- the government?

    I'm sorry, this makes no sense, even in a hypothetical way.
    I worded it wrong. It should have read "How Much Would You Give Up..." instead of "Pay."

    You might "pay" a hypothetical watchdog to reduce government. The question is how much would it be worth to you?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Um...reducing government means I pay less....so...I don't understand the question
    The point is how much it is worth to you to roll back government. Of course, you would NOT pay anything to the government. You want to make it smaller, so you would want to take measures to REDUCE government revenue and therefore its power. However, some of these measures would come at a high cost.

    Example: You could quit working and have almost no income. You would no longer have to pay income taxes, BUT you would forfeit the benefits of a normal income. That's too extreme for most people.

  6. #6
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    06-30-10 @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: How Much Would Ypu Pay for Less Government?

    no wars?

    places with weak ineffective governments have no wars?

    like Somolia?
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: How Much Would Ypu Pay for Less Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    places with weak ineffective governments have no wars?
    Only a statist liberal would equate less government with weak and ineffective government. Stop inviting yourself into my life, thanks.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: How Much Would Ypu Pay for Less Government?

    The idea of less government is that we do not have to pay, period.

    If bribing government officials to go away was all that was required, wouldn't we have done that long ago?

  9. #9
    Tavern Bartender
    #neverhillary
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    68,096

    Re: How Much Would Ypu Pay for Less Government?

    This is an idiot question. You can't pay more for less government!!!
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)

  10. #10
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,723

    Re: How Much Would Ypu Pay for Less Government?

    People... stop hyping on the wording, you know what he means.
    He could have said, "for how long will you give up food blah blah"
    It is about how much you want a change, not about paying more or less...

    I would pay, or eat, or stop eating... a lot or for a long time, to get less government.
    I would go back further than 1955... I would go before the New Deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Supreme Court can't interpret The Constitution. They don't have that power.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •