View Poll Results: What will happen if the Gitmo were transported to jail facilities in the U.S.?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing

    12 50.00%
  • We will be attacked from those detainees

    3 12.50%
  • OMG all hell will break loose because our jail security will suddenly become weaker

    0 0%
  • Other

    9 37.50%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 84

Thread: What Happens To Gitmo Detainees?

  1. #31
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What Happens To Gitmo Detainees?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am not talking about Germans, you are.
    You are talking about peoiple who were detained because they were combatants that were fighting our troops.

    So, again, with what, exactly, do you charge those 200,000 Germans?

  2. #32
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What Happens To Gitmo Detainees?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Wrong. Unlawful combatants DO, in fact, have a right to trial, per the U.S. Supreme Court, 1942. Do you have significant authority to overrule them?
    And those who were detained because they were combatants that were fighting our troops on the battlefield -- what, exactly, do you charge them with?

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: What Happens To Gitmo Detainees?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You are talking about peoiple who were detained because they were combatants that were fighting our troops.

    So, again, with what, exactly, do you charge those 200,000 Germans?
    They were POWs. What part of that do you not understand? You handle them the same as any other POW, according to the Geneva Conventions.

    Because they were POWs, they are also apples to the oranges of this discussion. The people in Gitmo were SPECIFICALLY identified as unlawful combatants so as to exempt them from the Geneva Conventions.

    However, by identifying them as unlawful combatants, they then become subject to different standards of treatment, including trial by a military tribunal.

    This process was codified into U.S. Law by the Supreme Court in 1942.

    Does that help to explain the difference?

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: What Happens To Gitmo Detainees?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    And those who were detained because they were combatants that were fighting our troops on the battlefield -- what, exactly, do you charge them with?
    If they were fighting under the organized auspices of a nation with whom we are at war, they are recognized as prisoners of war, and aren't charged with anything. Their treatment is specified by the Geneva Convention.

    If they are unlawful combatants, the Supreme Court set federal law in regards to their handling in 1942.

    We're talking between 50 and 100 years of case law on these issues, dude. This isn't new.

  5. #35
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:38 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,451
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What Happens To Gitmo Detainees?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You are talking about peoiple who were detained because they were combatants that were fighting our troops.

    So, again, with what, exactly, do you charge those 200,000 Germans?
    I am talking about the ones currently detained, not the ones from WWII.

  6. #36
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What Happens To Gitmo Detainees?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am talking about the ones currently detained, not the ones from WWII.
    Both sets of people are/were being held for exactly the same thing -- becaise they were combatants captured by our troops while fighting on the battlefield.

    So, I ask again -- what, exactly, do you charge them with?

  7. #37
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What Happens To Gitmo Detainees?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    If they were fighting under the organized auspices of a nation with whom we are at war, they are recognized as prisoners of war, and aren't charged with anything. Their treatment is specified by the Geneva Convention.

    If they are unlawful combatants, the Supreme Court set federal law in regards to their handling in 1942.

    We're talking between 50 and 100 years of case law on these issues, dude. This isn't new.
    You didnt answer my question:
    What, exactly, do you charge them with?

  8. #38
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:38 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,451
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What Happens To Gitmo Detainees?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Both sets of people are/were being held for exactly the same thing -- becaise they were combatants captured by our troops while fighting on the battlefield.

    So, I ask again -- what, exactly, do you charge them with?
    What you say is true, but incomplete. There is no end in site for the "war on terror", nor does it look likely that it will end any time even remotely soon. Since the situation is different, we should look for different solutions.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: What Happens To Gitmo Detainees?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You didnt answer my question:
    What, exactly, do you charge them with?
    If they are POWs, you don't charge them with anything. You detain them, scrupulously observing the protocols of the Geneva Convention, until the cessation of hostilities.

    If they are unlawful combatants, YOU CHARGE THEM WITH THAT.

    If I typed slower, would it help?

  10. #40
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: What Happens To Gitmo Detainees?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    What you say is true, but incomplete.
    I didnt see an answr to my question.

    There is no end in site for the "war on terror", nor does it look likely that it will end any time even remotely soon.
    Irrelevant. All combatants captured on the battlefield are held 'for the duration'.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •