View Poll Results: Should women be allowed to specialize as infantry

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and they should be integrated with the males

    101 57.71%
  • Yes, but keep their units seperate from male units

    16 9.14%
  • No, but women should be given some basic infantry skills beyond basic training

    33 18.86%
  • No, women should never serve in a role where they may encounter combat

    15 8.57%
  • Other....

    10 5.71%
Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 377785868788 LastLast
Results 861 to 870 of 877

Thread: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

  1. #861
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    My husband trains in martial arts and he does spar with both women and men.
    I mean... they all wear protective gear, but he has hit women, and they've hit him.
    And they've injured him occasionally, by accident, despite the protective gear, and I suspect he's hurt them occasionally too.
    The men I've sparred with in martial arts training never held back, and neither did I. My partner in one class took the wind out of me hard with a solid punch in my solar plexus before one sparring round even officially started. Why did he throw a punch before he was supposed to? Because I dropped my eyes from my opponent [him] for just a second. Was a lesson I never forgot.

    My instructor managed a few kicks to my chest from time to time when I didn't dodge fast enough. He didn't pull his punches or kicks during spars unless his punches/kicks would have actually broken bones. That's pretty much the rule we all went by.

    When I threw my opponents over my shoulder, I didn't hold back or feel sorry when they went *thud* on the mat in front of me. Somehow I'm doubting they did either. LOL


    And honestly, if I'd found out that any of them were holding back because I was a woman, I'd have been HIGHLY pissed off and would have quit the class. I'd want no part in any training that treated me as a child or some inferior being, or that they had so little respect for me that they treated me unequally.
    Last edited by rivrrat; 08-14-09 at 09:47 PM.

  2. #862
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    The men I've sparred with in martial arts training never held back, and neither did I. My partner in one class took the wind out of me hard with a solid punch in my solar plexus before one sparring round even officially started. Why did he throw a punch before he was supposed to? Because I dropped my eyes from my opponent [him] for just a second. Was a lesson I never forgot.

    My instructor managed a few kicks to my chest from time to time when I didn't dodge fast enough. He didn't pull his punches or kicks during spars unless his punches/kicks would have actually broken bones. That's pretty much the rule we all went by.

    When I threw my opponents over my shoulder, I didn't hold back or feel sorry when they went *thud* on the mat in front of me. Somehow I'm doubting they did either. LOL


    And honestly, if I'd found out that any of them were holding back because I was a woman, I'd have been HIGHLY pissed off and would have quit the class. I'd want no part in any training that treated me as a child or some inferior being, or that they had so little respect for me that they treated me unequally.
    I think both Men and Women should be taught Self Defense in some fashion. With all the "Garbage" out there, One should be able to take care of themselves, and not have to rely on anyone else for their protection.

    Take care.

  3. #863
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    The men I've sparred with in martial arts training never held back, and neither did I. My partner in one class took the wind out of me hard with a solid punch in my solar plexus before one sparring round even officially started. Why did he throw a punch before he was supposed to? Because I dropped my eyes from my opponent [him] for just a second. Was a lesson I never forgot.

    My instructor managed a few kicks to my chest from time to time when I didn't dodge fast enough. He didn't pull his punches or kicks during spars unless his punches/kicks would have actually broken bones. That's pretty much the rule we all went by.

    When I threw my opponents over my shoulder, I didn't hold back or feel sorry when they went *thud* on the mat in front of me. Somehow I'm doubting they did either. LOL


    And honestly, if I'd found out that any of them were holding back because I was a woman, I'd have been HIGHLY pissed off and would have quit the class. I'd want no part in any training that treated me as a child or some inferior being, or that they had so little respect for me that they treated me unequally.
    I do not want to come across as ill spirited, but there is a fine line between competition and practice. There is a reason sports, especially weight limit sports, are not co-ed, and that reason is that women would get hurt bad. Men are faster, stronger, and less likely to get injured with impact. Women are more flexible, and "ligamently laxed".

    Consider the reason Olympic events differ between men and women, ie still rings and pummel horse.


    IMHO, women should not be in the general infantry for two reasons: the first is that they are not as physically capable of performing feats such as carrying heavy weight, running with great speed, and not becoming injured as result of attempting. The second is quite simple, opposition would most likely be more inclined to rape female prisoners.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  4. #864
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Die thread die!
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  5. #865
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    I do not want to come across as ill spirited, but there is a fine line between competition and practice. There is a reason sports, especially weight limit sports, are not co-ed, and that reason is that women would get hurt bad. Men are faster, stronger, and less likely to get injured with impact. Women are more flexible, and "ligamently laxed".

    Consider the reason Olympic events differ between men and women, ie still rings and pummel horse.


    IMHO, women should not be in the general infantry for two reasons: the first is that they are not as physically capable of performing feats such as carrying heavy weight, running with great speed, and not becoming injured as result of attempting. The second is quite simple, opposition would most likely be more inclined to rape female prisoners.
    Damm,,,I know I'll be attacked for this, screw it...You nailed it G/B. Case in point, a 200 Pound Man strikes a 120 pound female dead on in the face...Not a "slap" mind you. Not a "Pulled Punch".

    End of Story. Need I go into detail, if the "male" was a Muslim Butt Head, and you woke up under his control?

  6. #866
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,005

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    My husband trains in martial arts and he does spar with both women and men.
    I mean... they all wear protective gear, but he has hit women, and they've hit him.
    Still with this? And when their puspose becomes to kill their opponent with bare fists and knives, the women will find themselves horribly out matched. There is no "protective gear" that makes hand-to-hand combat a game or a sparring match. There are no referees and there are no point schemes.

    This isn't about getting the woman her business suit in corporate America. Your "stage" will only send women to their guranteed deaths. Once again, the infantry is for the select few women that can old their own. It is not an arena for "women's rights."

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  7. #867
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by GySgt View Post
    Still with this? And when their puspose becomes to kill their opponent with bare fists and knives, the women will find themselves horribly out matched. There is no "protective gear" that makes hand-to-hand combat a game or a sparring match.
    Not if they're trained better than the enemy.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  8. #868
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Not if they're trained better than the enemy.
    The kind of training that can make up for a 100 pound difference in lean body mass takes years, not months-- and you are resting your argument on the incredibly dangerous assumption that our enemies will not have access to adequate training themselves.

  9. #869
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    The kind of training that can make up for a 100 pound difference in lean body mass takes years, not months-- and you are resting your argument on the incredibly dangerous assumption that our enemies will not have access to adequate training themselves.
    It is foolish to assume that was what I based my remarks on.
    I made a simple statement, that if the training is better than that of the enemy, there would be no problem.
    This statement doesn't say whether the enemy's training is good or poor.

    As for the other part of your post, certain combat styles do not rely on the weight or strength of the user.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 08-22-09 at 03:24 PM.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  10. #870
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    As for the other part of your post, certain combat styles do not rely on the weight or strength of the user.
    The style may not, but the fighter still does. Muscle is more than just striking power. It is also weight, speed, and inertia, and it provides resistance to injuries, not just from strikes but from the kinds of joint locks and choke holds that soft styles rely upon to control and disable an enemy.

Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 377785868788 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •