View Poll Results: Should women be allowed to specialize as infantry

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and they should be integrated with the males

    101 57.71%
  • Yes, but keep their units seperate from male units

    16 9.14%
  • No, but women should be given some basic infantry skills beyond basic training

    33 18.86%
  • No, women should never serve in a role where they may encounter combat

    15 8.57%
  • Other....

    10 5.71%
Page 80 of 88 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast
Results 791 to 800 of 877

Thread: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

  1. #791
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Sometimes men don't behave nicely in war zones.
    Perhaps, rather than penalize women by forbidding them jobs they're qualified for and want to do, men could be held to a certain standard of behavior, and made accountable for gross violations of said standard.
    After all, there are plenty of women in war zones.
    If men's behavior is too "un-nice" to allow female soldiers to share the battlefield with them, then is it really appropriate to allow them around female civilians and their children and elderly?

  2. #792
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Sometimes men don't behave nicely in war zones.
    The same is true of women. People in high stress jobs have to learn to function as a team, and this would still be true.

  3. #793
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    I don't perceive this (men's inability to control themselves/ behave appropriately) as a good reason to penalize females by forbidding them certain jobs. If what Tashah says is even half true, the US army would've benefited immeasurably from her service.
    Why should females be forbidden jobs they're qualified for and good at, why should these jobs go to men instead (who might not even be as qualified), simply because men lack the ability to behave appropriately?
    It sounds like a problem the men need to work on, if you ask me.
    Forbidding women jobs because of it is not only unfair to women, but it really doesn't solve the problem of men not being able to control themselves. If they can't control themselves in that context, how can they be expected to behave properly in any context? Should women be forced to wear burqas and forbidden to leave their homes unescorted, because of men's lack of self-control?

    Can you imagine if society tried to deny men the opportunity to work in certain fields- especially fields that were considered heroic and honorable- because women worked there, and the women might not be able to act properly with men around?
    Please.
    I NEVER thought of getting shot at,,,as a Job. Hummm.

  4. #794
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The same is true of women. People in high stress jobs have to learn to function as a team, and this would still be true.
    Yeah,,,an R.P.G. headed toward you IS stressful.
    That's true enough.

    Take care.

  5. #795
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Realist1 View Post
    I NEVER thought of getting shot at,,,as a Job. Hummm.
    If that's all our infantry troops did, we could use inflatable troops, and spare our sons for more important things.

  6. #796
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Realist1 View Post
    Yeah,,,an R.P.G. headed toward you IS stressful.
    That's true enough.

    Take care.
    Your point is?

  7. #797
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Your point is?
    I agreed with you. Being a Grunt IS "stressful" at times. You'd think Women would be beating down the doors at the Recruitment Office,,,wouldn't you?

    Take care.

  8. #798
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Realist1 View Post
    I agreed with you. Being a Grunt IS "stressful" at times. You'd think Women would be beating down the doors at the Recruitment Office,,,wouldn't you?

    Take care.
    I don't understand why any one would want to be infantry, but am thankful some do. The flight deck was stressful enough for me.

  9. #799
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Realist1 View Post
    I agreed with you. Being a Grunt IS "stressful" at times. You'd think Women would be beating down the doors at the Recruitment Office,,,wouldn't you?

    Take care.
    There are plenty of women in the armed forces.
    One of nine soldiers is a woman.
    Your point is that women should be forbidden to serve in combat because not that many of them want to?
    Well, in that case, not that many men want to be teachers. I think the government should pass a law forbidding men to be teachers. They're unsuited for it, being intellectually inferior to females, and besides that, women teachers might not be able to control themselves and might behave improperly if males were around.

    How'd you like them apples?
    Does that sound pretty sensible to you?
    Based on my arguments, do you think the government will go ahead and pass such a law?

    Well, guess what? The only reason they listen to these same lame excuses coming from you, and pass laws forbidding qualified females the opportunity to serve in infantry, is because there is precedent for it.
    Not because your reasons make sense, but because there is a lot of precedent for forbidding females to do what they want to do... for forbidding them opportunities that men have.
    That precedent is based on patriarchy and sexism and gender discrimination, and it is wrong.
    Last edited by 1069; 08-09-09 at 06:07 PM.

  10. #800
    Advisor Realist1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-27-09 @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    537

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    There are plenty of women in the armed forces.
    One of nine soldiers is a woman.
    Your point is that women should be forbidden to serve in combat because not that many of them want to?
    Well, in that case, not that many men want to be teachers. I think the government should pass a law forbidding men to be teachers. They're unsuited for it, being intellectually inferior to females, and besides that, women teachers might not be able to control themselves and might behave improperly if males were around.

    How'd you like them apples?
    Does that sound pretty sensible to you?
    Based on my arguments, do you think the government will go ahead and pass such a law?

    Well, guess what? The only reason they listen to these same lame excuses coming from you, and pass laws forbidding qualified females the opportunity to serve in infantry, is because there is precedent for it.
    Not because your reasons make sense, but because there is a lot of precedent for forbidding females to do what they want to do... for forbidding them opportunities that men have.
    That precedent is based on patriarchy and sexism and gender discrimination, and it is wrong.
    Look,,,I think Women do an outstanding job as Pilots. I'm reasonably certain that they aready Serve in Combat right now. I've no qualms with that. I'm not sure just what their role is limited to in the Army. Possibly,,,they'd make great Tankers. What I don't want is the women being utilized in Infantry.

    That's due to my personal feelings on what would happen to them in Hand to Hand Combat. And Men like me would pay more attention to them (worried over their Safety) more than myself.

    I'm pretty sure most the Men would feel the same way.

Page 80 of 88 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •