View Poll Results: Should women be allowed to specialize as infantry

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and they should be integrated with the males

    101 57.71%
  • Yes, but keep their units seperate from male units

    16 9.14%
  • No, but women should be given some basic infantry skills beyond basic training

    33 18.86%
  • No, women should never serve in a role where they may encounter combat

    15 8.57%
  • Other....

    10 5.71%
Page 75 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 877

Thread: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

  1. #741
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    The basic principle it represents is timeless. It is only "outmoded" in a civilization that is in its dying throes.

    The purpose of all civilization is to protect women and children.
    One purpose of all civilizations is to protect those within the civilization who need protecting. This includes groups other than women and children, and does not necessarily include women, who can, believe it or not, protect themselves. I know women who need far less protection from civilization than you do.

  2. #742
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    One purpose of all civilizations is to protect those within the civilization who need protecting. This includes groups other than women and children, and does not necessarily include women, who can, believe it or not, protect themselves. I know women who need far less protection from civilization than you do.
    I'd say the new, amended purpose of society is to protect children, the elderly, and the disabled.
    Women were once in need of protection because they were handicapped by society, by patriarchy. They were forbidden equality and the means to protect themselves.
    That is no longer the case, however, and now women are as capable of protecting themselves as men are, except- arguably- during pregnancy, which could be considered a temporary physical handicap.

  3. #743
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,208

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    The purpose of the infantry-- of the military in general-- is to keep their soldiers away from our women. We can dress it up however we like, as sovereignty, border control, or protecting our national interests, but what it boils down to is protection of our women and children.

    Putting women, especially women of military age, into the front lines of combat directly contradicts the purpose of the military.

    By all means, they should be allowed to have military careers should they wish them. Certainly, they should be given infantry training in case our military fails and the teeming hordes follow them home. But putting them in the meat grinder and allowing them to be killed alongside the men is foolish, and toxic, and suicidal.
    I disagree.
    The purpose of present-time armies is to defend the Nation, by every definition of it.
    Whether it is defending the borders, the people in the borders, or the nation's interests.

    I really can't see how women alone are the sole reason for the military's existence or whatever the point that you were trying to make was.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  4. #744
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    I'd say the new, amended purpose of society is to protect children, the elderly, and the disabled.
    I think that is a closer definition than Korimyr's. I find it somewhat sad how far behind some people's attitudes are from the real world. I know, and appreciate, women who not need less protection than most men, but would be downright pissed at the implied insult that they need such protection. We almost always fail when we try to and put people into convenient groups.

  5. #745
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I think that is a closer definition than Korimyr's. I find it somewhat sad how far behind some people's attitudes are from the real world. I know, and appreciate, women who not need less protection than most men, but would be downright pissed at the implied insult that they need such protection. We almost always fail when we try to and put people into convenient groups.
    Yeah, I just don't get it.
    Adult females who are able-bodied and of sound mind need no more protection than men do.
    And if they aren't adults, aren't able-bodied, or aren't of sound mind, then they're handicapped, and handicapped people of either gender need and deserve extra protection.

  6. #746
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Yeah, I just don't get it.
    Adult females who are able-bodied and of sound mind need no more protection than men do.
    And if they aren't adults, aren't able-bodied, or aren't of sound mind, then they're handicapped, and handicapped people of either gender need and deserve extra protection.
    The problem is that the reasons for such things as not allowing women the honor of serving in infantry(or gays to serve openly) are not logical. They come from deep, ingrained programming, and as such, logical arguments are almost always doomed to fail with these people.

  7. #747
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    One purpose of all civilizations is to protect those within the civilization who need protecting. This includes groups other than women and children, and does not necessarily include women, who can, believe it or not, protect themselves. I know women who need far less protection from civilization than you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    I'd say the new, amended purpose of society is to protect children, the elderly, and the disabled.
    You both seem to be under the assumption that the reason women require extra protection is because they are weak, or somehow less capable of defending themselves. The reason that women require more protection from society is not because they are weaker, but because they are more essential to our survival as a nation. A society that loses a generation of its young men is hurt, but it will muddle through; a society that loses a generation of its young women is walking dead.

    Just because someone can protect themselves doesn't mean they don't need society's protection. And just because somebody can't, doesn't mean they deserve it.

  8. #748
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The problem is that the reasons for such things as not allowing women the honor of serving in infantry(or gays to serve openly) are not logical. They come from deep, ingrained programming, and as such, logical arguments are almost always doomed to fail with these people.
    I have no problem with homosexuals serving openly in the military, or gay men serving in combat arms roles.

  9. #749
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,208

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    You both seem to be under the assumption that the reason women require extra protection is because they are weak, or somehow less capable of defending themselves. The reason that women require more protection from society is not because they are weaker, but because they are more essential to our survival as a nation. A society that loses a generation of its young men is hurt, but it will muddle through; a society that loses a generation of its young women is walking dead.

    Just because someone can protect themselves doesn't mean they don't need society's protection. And just because somebody can't, doesn't mean they deserve it.
    You're taking this to the extreme.
    The percent of women who will serve in combat units (or for the protocol, both men and women together) in society is so low, that even if they all were to suddenly die (something that I can't see happening), society would still not be even close to a risk of the lack of females.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  10. #750
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Perhaps. Modern warfare is certainly lighter on military casualties than previous methods. But I believe the principle stands: a society that sends its young women off to die in foreign wars has broken moral priorities and is not much longer for this world.

    Exceptions, such as nations facing prolonged war on the homefront, noted.

Page 75 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •