View Poll Results: Should women be allowed to specialize as infantry

Voters
175. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and they should be integrated with the males

    101 57.71%
  • Yes, but keep their units seperate from male units

    16 9.14%
  • No, but women should be given some basic infantry skills beyond basic training

    33 18.86%
  • No, women should never serve in a role where they may encounter combat

    15 8.57%
  • Other....

    10 5.71%
Page 16 of 88 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 877

Thread: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Logic is probably not your strong suit. Women serve on most if not all combat ships currently. Women have been serving on noncombat ships for quite some time, and doing very well.
    The only exception would be the subs, but I suspect they just don't want to dilute their seamen.

  2. #152
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Well, that explains your mad skillz wit da wimmenz.

    My boyfriend has done 14 years in the Navy, 7 of them as a nuke. Somehow, thankfully, he avoided turning into a complete misogynist. Maybe it was that he wasn't rejected by both men AND women.
    Remind me not to piss you off.

  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Remind me not to piss you off.
    I can just see Scarecrow recording me in his book o' bitches who done did him wrong.

  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Logic is probably not your strong suit. Women serve on most if not all combat ships currently. Women have been serving on noncombat ships for quite some time, and doing very well.

    Women have served in combat zones since I think at least Korea in some capacities. Just because women where not on the sub with you does not invalidate what you quoted.
    Sure it does.

    Women haven't served in combat roles. Frankly, I've been in the Navy, and naval battles aren't similar to infantry battles at all. If a woman can stand her watch during drills, she's not any more likely to flub it than a man. I mean, it wasn't a woman that ran the USS La Jolla into the USS Permit nor did a woman run the USS San Francisco into the mountain.

    This thread is about "specialize in infantry". My examples from my own experience illustrate one thing....the legal and political climate of this nation give the female unfair unearned advantage in any dispute or conflict, not to mention the extra advantage the female has in currying favorable evals and promotions.

    Also, I've stressed the fact that it's been necessary to lower physical qualification standards to staff the various services, and the police, and the fire departments, with their "proper" quota of women. Do think what that entails for national and civillian security issues.

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I can just see Scarecrow recording me in his book o' bitches who done did him wrong.
    You feel like confessing or sumpthin'? Have you done something wrong along the lines of what I've been describing and taken unfair advantage of your vagina to harm a fellow officer or his career or promoted your own career?

  6. #156
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    I wanna have Scarecrow's baby.

    Go Navy!

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    The only exception would be the subs, but I suspect they just don't want to dilute their seamen.
    (Old joke, that....)

    Actually the issue is more prosaic.

    Submariners are packed in like sardines....of the 110 enlisted on a Los Angeles class submarine, a dozen are senior enlisted, the chiefs, with their own seperate bunkroom and head and shower, in what's called "The Goat Locker". There's bunk space for 21 men on the lower deck, with a single head and shower across the passageway adjacent to the Auxilliary Machinery Room, and of the rest of the enlisted, a small handful might be sleeping with the torpedos (rare) and the rest are in the two Middle Level bunkrooms (this is about 70-80 men) sharing a common head with 1 urinal, three toilets, two showers, and three sinks.

    There just isn't room to segregate the babes out.

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    This thread is about "specialize in infantry". My examples from my own experience illustrate one thing....the legal and political climate of this nation give the female unfair unearned advantage in any dispute or conflict, not to mention the extra advantage the female has in currying favorable evals and promotions.
    This argument you've presented us with is known as a red herring. None of your examples involved combat. Furthermore, you are inappropriately generalizing from an insufficient number of examples. Sorry that your interactions with women seem generally to have a high suck value, but that doesn't warrant setting policy based upon you.

    Also, I've stressed the fact that it's been necessary to lower physical qualification standards to staff the various services, and the police, and the fire departments, with their "proper" quota of women. Do think what that entails for national and civillian security issues.
    Departments aren't required to hire a QUOTA of officers who are female. That's a common misunderstanding of EEO requirements. Instead, they are required to make sufficient EFFORTS to hire women and minorities, and this is gauged on recruitment: distributing job descriptions & hiring notices, etc.

    While it is true that there are differing physical standards in the military between men and women, it is also true that there are differing physical standards in the military between men and men, and between different branches of the military service. The physical requirements are different between the Navy and the army, for instance. There are different standards for men and older men, as well as different standards for enlisted men, NCOs and officers.

    A GAO study of this issue found that:
    "There is a widespread perception that the existence of lower physical fitness standards for women amounts to a "double standard." However, the physical fitness program is actually intended only to maintain the general fitness and health of military members and fitness testing is not aimed at assessing the ability to perform specific missions or military jobs. Consequently, DOD officials and experts agree that it is appropriate to adjust the standards for physiological differences among service members by age and gender." http://www.gao.gov/archive/1996/ns96153.pdf

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Submariners are packed in like sardines....of the 110 enlisted on a Los Angeles class submarine, a dozen are senior enlisted, the chiefs, with their own seperate bunkroom and head and shower, in what's called "The Goat Locker". There's bunk space for 21 men on the lower deck, with a single head and shower across the passageway adjacent to the Auxilliary Machinery Room, and of the rest of the enlisted, a small handful might be sleeping with the torpedos (rare) and the rest are in the two Middle Level bunkrooms (this is about 70-80 men) sharing a common head with 1 urinal, three toilets, two showers, and three sinks.

    There just isn't room to segregate the babes out.
    I get that. My bro served on the Los Angeles (10 years - he decommissioned it in Pearl Harbor). My boyfriend was on the Norfolk for 7.

  10. #160
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should females be allowed to specialize as infantry in the military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Sure it does.

    Women haven't served in combat roles. Frankly, I've been in the Navy, and naval battles aren't similar to infantry battles at all. If a woman can stand her watch during drills, she's not any more likely to flub it than a man. I mean, it wasn't a woman that ran the USS La Jolla into the USS Permit nor did a woman run the USS San Francisco into the mountain.

    This thread is about "specialize in infantry". My examples from my own experience illustrate one thing....the legal and political climate of this nation give the female unfair unearned advantage in any dispute or conflict, not to mention the extra advantage the female has in currying favorable evals and promotions.

    Also, I've stressed the fact that it's been necessary to lower physical qualification standards to staff the various services, and the police, and the fire departments, with their "proper" quota of women. Do think what that entails for national and civillian security issues.
    So, maybe I missed it. What does women not serving in subs with you, that you brought up, have to do with women serving beside men in the service? Are you somehow trying to deny that women have served with men in some capacities since at least Korea? or are you making some claim that just is not clear?

Page 16 of 88 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •