View Poll Results: Do you support the Fair Tax?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    39 61.90%
  • no

    19 30.16%
  • other

    5 7.94%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 100

Thread: The Fair Tax

  1. #31
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Fair Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    I tried doing that but found that he spoke in such a way that I'd first have to know exactly what led him to those conclusions before I could go over individual points.
    Here, let me refute your argument as effectively as you've presented yours. You are so mind bogglingly wrong that I don't even know where to begin with it. It's like every word is just wrong. It has even magically made me start to support the Fair tax, if you can believe it..

    Actually, my argument uses a smiley, so it is by default MORE effective than your. So there!

  2. #32
    User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    05-30-09 @ 05:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7

    Re: The Fair Tax

    Why should we support any federal tax? There is enough revenue generated from other sources to maintain the budget from ten years ago. Instead of supporting the spending spree congress/Bush/Obama have been on, perhaps we should tighten our purse strings and get our house in order.

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    09-23-16 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,420
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Fair Tax

    Lets call this what it really is.. a national sales tax, not a "fair tax".
    The wealthy conservatives may agree to this, evidently, they will pay less and the working man will pay more....
    Either way, the feds need the money.
    But they have grown far too big and must be reduced in size.. The military needs to shrink, we must stay away from the wars and "democracy" spreading.
    Yes, I think IRAQ is a better country now, but at such a cost of American lives...and American money..
    I say we change what needs to be changed; leave the IRS as is,, for now, I think it is the fairest method of taxing..
    What must be changed is the spending.....

  4. #34
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: The Fair Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Here, let me refute your argument as effectively as you've presented yours. You are so mind bogglingly wrong that I don't even know where to begin with it. It's like every word is just wrong. It has even magically made me start to support the Fair tax, if you can believe it..

    Actually, my argument uses a smiley, so it is by default MORE effective than your. So there!
    I was honestly trying to respond to your post but was frustrated by the lack of specificness so just wrote what was on my mind. So I apologize for my arrogant and offensive post.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,474

    Re: The Fair Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    I was honestly trying to respond to your post but was frustrated by the lack of specificness so just wrote what was on my mind. So I apologize for my arrogant and offensive post.
    He lacks specificity but somehow you still managed through your magick-like mental abilities to deduce that he was wrong. Odd. You still haven't said why he's wrong. We're waiting with baited breath.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #36
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: The Fair Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    He lacks specificity but somehow you still managed through your magick-like mental abilities to deduce that he was wrong. Odd. You still haven't said why he's wrong. We're waiting with baited breath.
    I apologized for posting it, can't we just move on?

  7. #37
    Hi
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    26,225

    Re: The Fair Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by aquapub View Post
    The FairTax Act (HR 25, S 296) is nonpartisan legislation. It abolishes all federal personal and corporate income taxes, gift, estate, capital gains, alternative minimum, Social Security, Medicare, and self-employment taxes and replaces them with one simple, visible, federal retail sales tax administered primarily by existing state sales tax authorities.

    The FairTax taxes us only on what we choose to spend on new goods or services, not on what we earn. The FairTax is a fair, efficient, transparent, and intelligent solution to the frustration and inequity of our current tax system.

    The FairTax:

    -Enables workers to keep their entire paychecks

    -Enables retirees to keep their entire pensions

    -Refunds in advance the tax on purchases of basic necessities

    -Allows American products to compete fairly

    -Brings transparency and accountability to tax policy

    -Ensures Social Security and Medicare funding

    -Closes all loopholes and brings fairness to taxation

    -Abolishes the IRS

    Click here to see the national petition.
    I've been a supporter of the Fair Tax for some time now.

    The current tax code is manipulated in so many ways giving favors to so many undeserving people that something needs to change.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #38
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: The Fair Tax

    One thing that I think people tend to miss in this debate is the idea that the wealthy will pay more taxes, but will get more value for it, i.e. if you add a voluntary nature to the equation, the wealthy have more discretionary income, therefore consume more, they get their desired goods and services, and don't have to hold over income because of the randomness of the current code, no penalties, no withholding, no "April budget", etc. When people will know how much they retain, they will spend accordingly, and taxes are just a natural extension of purchasing.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #39
    Hi
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    26,225

    Re: The Fair Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    One thing that I think people tend to miss in this debate is the idea that the wealthy will pay more taxes, but will get more value for it, i.e. if you add a voluntary nature to the equation, the wealthy have more discretionary income, therefore consume more, they get their desired goods and services, and don't have to hold over income because of the randomness of the current code, no penalties, no withholding, no "April budget", etc. When people will know how much they retain, they will spend accordingly, and taxes are just a natural extension of purchasing.
    Exactly, it is a naturally progressive tax.

    No need to augment percentages based on income.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #40
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: The Fair Tax

    I really do love the fair tax, even if it is for different reasons then other people.

    I am fine with the theory of an income tax, but a tax on consumption is much better for the economy then a tax on income. If we had the Fair Tax it would have been much less likely that we would have spent so much and got into this mess.


    I was looking through this thread though, and I don't think I saw anyone that would rather have an income tax instead of the Fair Tax with everything else staying the same. But there is some people that voted against the Fair Tax in the poll.

    I just wanted to hear any sides of their reasoning for that.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •