View Poll Results: Do you support the Fair Tax?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    39 61.90%
  • no

    19 30.16%
  • other

    5 7.94%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 100

Thread: The Fair Tax

  1. #11
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    09-24-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: The Fair Tax

    Hey all: I read the Boortz/Linden book on this, but the Fair tax site states the goals of the movement for all concerned.
    Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation
    From the site:
    The FairTax plan is a comprehensive proposal that replaces all federal income and payroll based taxes with an integrated approach including:

    A progressive national retail sales tax.
    A prebate to ensure no American pays federal taxes on spending up to the poverty level.
    Dollar-for-dollar federal revenue neutrality.
    Repeal of the 16th Amendment through companion legislation.
    This part explains why the taxes would be at 23%:Americans For Fair Taxation: The FairTax Rate: a 23% tomato or a 30% tomato?

    The idea behind this is to tax the use of money, the fair tax book explains that personal transfers(used goods) are exempt because the taxes are paid, the sixteenth amendment is up for a repeal with corresponding information if the law should pass, and the goal is to reduce the volumes of tax code down to four pages.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #12
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: The Fair Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Otherwise this just means I'm getting robbed out of my left pocket instead of my right, to pay for the same bloated, intrusive, outta-control government.
    Exactly... it's really the same thing as what we have now, except you get taxed later rather than sooner.

    I'm really having trouble deciding whether I support it or not. There'll still be loopholes, and people will want to manipulate it- for example, since food is a necessity, people would want a lower tax on food than on everything else... eventually everything would have its own tax rate and then the free market would suffer....

  3. #13
    Counselor

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-07-09 @ 04:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,856

    Re: The Fair Tax

    I don't support the fair tax. We still need an army, navy, airforce, schools, roads, bridges, a horse in every garage, affordable health care and food for everyone.

  4. #14
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    09-24-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,473

    Re: The Fair Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Exactly... it's really the same thing as what we have now, except you get taxed later rather than sooner.

    I'm really having trouble deciding whether I support it or not. There'll still be loopholes, and people will want to manipulate it- for example, since food is a necessity, people would want a lower tax on food than on everything else... eventually everything would have its own tax rate and then the free market would suffer....
    There is a pre-bate written into the legislation for use on necessities.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #15
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: The Fair Tax

    The absurd complexity of our tax system has little to do with the type of tax used. You can make sales taxes just as complex as income tax if you feel like it and vice versa.

    I think the biggest problem with taxation, as well many as many other government systems, is nobody understands the value of simplicity. Exemptions and deductions need to weighed on the benefits they bring, compared the extra complexity needed to deal with the changes.

    I would argue that in general, shorter laws are highly undervalued. Having the public able to understand and follow the law is just as important as covering every possibility.

  6. #16
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: The Fair Tax

    The fair tax is still a tax on labour. I support the Georgist LVT.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  7. #17
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,477

    Re: The Fair Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by aquapub View Post
    The FairTax Act (HR 25, S 296) is nonpartisan legislation. It abolishes all federal personal and corporate income taxes, gift, estate, capital gains, alternative minimum, Social Security, Medicare, and self-employment taxes and replaces them with one simple, visible, federal retail sales tax administered primarily by existing state sales tax authorities.
    What is your idea of 'nonpartisan'?

    Americans For Fair Taxation: Co-Sponsor Gallery

    I see....1 Democrat and...54 Republicans. This is clearly as partisan as it gets. Unless you have a different idea of non-partisan.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #18
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Fair Tax

    I do not support the 'Fair' tax because it would destroy our economy and possibly our democracy.

    Current free market systems are imperfect markets, and those imperfections tend to cause wealth to increasingly accumulate with the already wealthy. When the wealth of a society accumulates overmuch in the top tiers of a society, general prosperity diminishes and misery increases. Such conditions tend to cause social unrest and instability while increasing the political power of those who hold the wealth.

    Progressive taxation helps to offset the results of these imperfections in our market system, and the so called 'Fair' tax is regressive, the exact opposite. In such a system, the wealthy are taxed proportionally less than the middle class.

    While the progressive income tax is an admittedly blunt instrument, the so called 'fair' tax would accelerate problems already evident in our system. I do not support the 'fair' tax because I value our free market system too much (imperfect though such systems currently inherently are).

    The difference between liberals and conservatives is that liberals wish the world was a simpler place, but they know that it is unfortunately not. Conservatives mistakenly believe it actually is simpler than it is. The 'Fair' tax proposal is an example of this type of thinking.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: The Fair Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    I do not support the 'Fair' tax because it would destroy our economy and possibly our democracy.

    Current free market systems are imperfect markets, and those imperfections tend to cause wealth to increasingly accumulate with the already wealthy. When the wealth of a society accumulates overmuch in the top tiers of a society, general prosperity diminishes and misery increases. Such conditions tend to cause social unrest and instability while increasing the political power of those who hold the wealth.

    Progressive taxation helps to offset the results of these imperfections in our market system, and the so called 'Fair' tax is regressive, the exact opposite. In such a system, the wealthy are taxed proportionally less than the middle class.

    While the progressive income tax is an admittedly blunt instrument, the so called 'fair' tax would accelerate problems already evident in our system. I do not support the 'fair' tax because I value our free market system too much (imperfect though such systems currently inherently are).

    The difference between liberals and conservatives is that liberals wish the world was a simpler place, but they know that it is unfortunately not. Conservatives mistakenly believe it actually is simpler than it is. The 'Fair' tax proposal is an example of this type of thinking.
    I lean against the Fair Tax on moral grounds because I do not believe the poor should be taxed as much as the rich, but wow I have never seen such a high concentration of incorrectness in one post in my whole life. It's like every individual word is wrong. It almost makes me fully support the Fair Tax and would if your mind-bogglingly wrong arguments against it were the only ones.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,477

    Re: The Fair Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    I lean against the Fair Tax on moral grounds because I do not believe the poor should be taxed as much as the rich, but wow I have never seen such a high concentration of incorrectness in one post in my whole life. It's like every individual word is wrong. It almost makes me fully support the Fair Tax and would if your mind-bogglingly wrong arguments against it were the only ones.
    Can you say what exactly is wrong about his post? Instead of just 'saying' that it is?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •