View Poll Results: Who are more paranoid?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Those that want a gun for self-defense

    6 12.00%
  • Those that want more gun control

    26 52.00%
  • Neither

    5 10.00%
  • Both

    10 20.00%
  • Other

    3 6.00%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 86

Thread: Pro/anti-gun -- who is more paranoid?

  1. #21
    Hi
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-28-16 @ 03:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    26,288

    Re: Pro/anti-gun -- who is more paranoid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Uhh some of us have neither the time nor desire to learn to use guns and protect ourselves. That's why we hire cops. It doesn't mean we're "homos" or "pussies," it just means that we have other interests and priorities and/or don't trust ourselves to use it properly.

    You don't call someone a "homo" if they don't personally study medicine to treat their own cancer when there are plenty of doctors available, do you? Is someone a "pussy" if they send their kid to school to be taught by a stranger instead of home-schooling them? If not, then why would you expect the average citizen to do YOUR job for you?
    Learning the basics of a firearm ain't rocket surgery.

    You are a pretty intelligent poster even when we disagree, I don't think you would have a problem.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #22
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Pro/anti-gun -- who is more paranoid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Learning the basics of a firearm ain't rocket surgery.

    You are a pretty intelligent poster even when we disagree, I don't think you would have a problem.
    Oh I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem learning the basics; my father is a hunter, so I've used sporting guns occasionally anyway. It's just that learning to use a gun is about 9,435th on my list of priorities. I have zero interest in them. And I'd be nervous having a gun around me all the time. And I'm not sure that I'd be able to use it anyway.

    If someone else wants to have a handgun for protection in their house or car, I don't really care. But to expect EVERYONE to learn how to properly use a gun (and have a gun nearby at all times) is asking too much.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 05-23-09 at 01:13 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #23
    Hi
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-28-16 @ 03:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    26,288

    Re: Pro/anti-gun -- who is more paranoid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Oh I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem learning the basics; my father is a hunter, so I've used sporting guns occasionally anyway.

    It's just that learning to use a gun is about 9,435th on my list of priorities. And I'd be nervous having a gun around me all the time. And I'm not sure that I'd be able to use it anyway.
    Well, I understand it being a low priority but if you ever get the inclination to do so many of us would be more than happy to offer advice.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #24
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Pro/anti-gun -- who is more paranoid?

    Extreme pro-gun folks are paranoid, the extreme anti-gun folks are better characterized as hysterical.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #25
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: Pro/anti-gun -- who is more paranoid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    According to the FBI, in 2007:
    -There were 467 violent crimes for every 100k people, representing 1.408 million crimes.
    -Of those 1.408 million crimes, 29.35% were verifiably committed with a gun
    Thus:
    -One in 214 people will be a victim of a violent crime
    -One in 730 people will be a victim of a violent crime committed with a gun
    Violent Crime - Crime in the United States 2007

    Given that, who are more paranoid:
    -The people that look at the crime rate and want a gun for self-defense
    -The people that look at the crime rate involving guns and want more gun control
    If only one in 730 people will be a victim of a violent crime commited with a gun, why do you need a gun for your self defense?

  6. #26
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Pro/anti-gun -- who is more paranoid?

    I chose the gun banners would be more paranoid, after all the Democrats are in power and they do have the gun control folks in their camp and in the past the Democrats spoke out in the House about gun control. The pro gun side in general cannot be said to be paranoid if there are people in power aiming to control, restrict gun sales. The pro guns that would be paranoid would be the ones who think Acorn would be going door to door to collect guns (and similar to that.)

    Some of the gun banners probably think that people who advocate for the right to bear arms think they are going to overthrow the government or an apocalyptic cult preparing for the end times or something.

  7. #27
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: Pro/anti-gun -- who is more paranoid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwaters View Post
    Pro second amendment folks live in varying degrees of paranoia. The government could never, and wouldn't try to come to individual gun owners houses and round up guns. So this cold dead hands thing is paranoia in it's purest form.

    By the way...I own guns and am pro second amendment.
    Have you ever visited Britain?
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  8. #28
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: Pro/anti-gun -- who is more paranoid?

    Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    If only one in 730 people will be a victim of a violent crime commited with a gun, why do you need a gun for your self defense?
    Because you might be that one. Why do you need to take it away? We shouldn't have to justify our rights in that way, those who want to strip us of these rights should have the burden of proof.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  9. #29
    Advisor Sanitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The world.
    Last Seen
    03-05-12 @ 01:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    459

    Re: Pro/anti-gun -- who is more paranoid?

    I think gun control is an important issue for any country. If someone is a responsible citizen and it shows, they should definitely have right to bear arms. However, I honestly don't believe the writers of the American Constitution would support gun rights as carelessly if they saw the crime rate it is causing in the America or if they knew fact that grade school children are now bringing guns to school and murdering classmates.

    We need to do something to halt the crime. Sure, gun safety education helps. Enforcing gun registration and storage of guns in safes is a good feature as well, but at some point, people will really start to demand better control.

    Since our poor economy, there has been a noticeable increase in gun fatalities, especially suicides or suicide-homicides, as well as people going on rampages.

    I believe that gun owners should feel like they need to make the sacrifice to make the streets safer, even if they might be responsible citizens.
    "All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language...No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." - John Donne

  10. #30
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    04-04-14 @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,233

    Re: Pro/anti-gun -- who is more paranoid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanitas View Post
    I think gun control is an important issue for any country. If someone is a responsible citizen and it shows, they should definitely have right to bear arms. However, I honestly don't believe the writers of the American Constitution would support gun rights as carelessly if they saw the crime rate it is causing in the America or if they knew fact that grade school children are now bringing guns to school and murdering classmates.

    We need to do something to halt the crime. Sure, gun safety education helps. Enforcing gun registration and storage of guns in safes is a good feature as well, but at some point, people will really start to demand better control.

    Since our poor economy, there has been a noticeable increase in gun fatalities, especially suicides or suicide-homicides, as well as people going on rampages.

    I believe that gun owners should feel like they need to make the sacrifice to make the streets safer, even if they might be responsible citizens.
    Your argument relies on the false assumption that private ownership of guns is responsible for crime.

    In another it was in fact shown Britain's violent crime has increased while restrictions on guns have.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •