View Poll Results: Read the below and respond acordingly

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think we can discuss abortion without rancor

    14 40.00%
  • No, I think the issue is too divisive

    10 28.57%
  • I think we can do better, but it will always be an angry debate

    11 31.43%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 115

Thread: Is President Obama Right in This?

  1. #61
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Is President Obama Right in This?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    I'd say no, and this thread is proof of it. People can't even civilly discuss the topic of discussing abortion civilly. Its the reason I tend to avoid abortion threads (with a few notable exceptions).

    Both sides have deeply held views that are not only in stark opposition to each other, but they both view the other side's position as deeply wrong. Naturally, there is little chance for productive debate in such a setting.

    One thing I never understood is why abortion is called a religious topic. Yes, a vast majority of pro-lifers are religious, but its hardly a prerequisite. I've met several athiests/agnostics who are strongly pro-life. The view that killing a unborn child is wrong is hardly limited to those that believe in religion. There is nothing inherently religious about the argument that an unborn child is human and therefor deserves to have its life protected by the law just like the rest of us.

    I think the reason the pro-life movement is largely made up of religious folks is that they are more comfortable speaking in moral absolutes. Many folks are convinced everything needs to be shades of grey. And sometimes things are, but sometimes they are not. I don't know if any polls back me up on this, but I believe most Americans are personally against abortion. Afterall the standard pro-choice candidate's position is to declare their personal dislike or opposition to abortion, but their desire to preserve choice. I've always wanted to ask them why they personally wouldn't choose abortion. If the answer is that they believe it ends a human life (which is what I suspect it is), then isn't the only correct stance then to oppose the ending of a innocent human life? For those that believe abortion is no big deal, no different than clipping your toenails or having a cyst removed or whatever, I can respect that. I disagree strongly, but its a logically consistent position. But those that try to have it both ways, I just don't get that.
    What do you mean by both ways? The fact that people believe some abortions should be allowed?

  2. #62
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,323
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is President Obama Right in This?

    Thanks Psychoclown, had not really thought about this in terms of how religion affects the views of some in that way. Not being religious, I have a bad habit of assuming that the reason religious people do things is basically dogma, which is obviously simplistic at best.

    I do not think most pro abortion rights people think of a fetus as a toenail or a cyst, but more as a human in potentia. We give it more standing that an inanimate object or even an animal, but it's not a fully realized human yet. That is, I think, where the quandary comes in. We are uncomfortable with ending that potential, but think it should be legal, an ethical choice that the government has no right to make for us.

    I think the one good thing that has come out of this thread, which has been much less contentious for the most part than I feared when I made it, is that I have gained a better understanding of how those on the anti abortion side think. Until we can make that mental leap to understand why others believe as they do, it is almost impossible to have a civilized debate.

  3. #63
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Is President Obama Right in This?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    You mean besides the obvious fact that life begins at conception?

    Then there's the obvious fact that we're discussing a human life.

    Gee, not too complicated is it?
    At conception there is no more a human life than the skin on your arm. Simply cells dividing exponentially until a fetus is created. The body may self abort in a miscarriage and the uterous will reabsorb the cells.

    Yes, a human life indeed, yet do you suffer over the live children who starve to death, or cannot afford healthcare and die? If a child is to be born into suffering and from such enters a life of crime, will you then support having to feed that prisoner and carry the cost of their incarceration. Do you support the execution of human life, or the torture of human life? Logically, it is all connected.

    In certain circumstances I believe abortion should be available. For use as contraceptive, no. Late-term, no. But if a woman is raped or abused, or too disfunctional to raise a child, then the option should be on the table.

  4. #64
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,323
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is President Obama Right in This?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    At conception there is no more a human life than the skin on your arm.
    And in the very next post, some one proves me wrong. I am still not sure though that this is the common view among those of us who are pro abortion rights.

  5. #65
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Is President Obama Right in This?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And in the very next post, some one proves me wrong. I am still not sure though that this is the common view among those of us who are pro abortion rights.
    I do not claim to speak for the majority in any way. Nor do I feel that I misunderstand the argument of those against abortion. I realize they feel that it is wrong to claim the life of an innocent human life. And as a microbiologist, I realize that cells are cells and are not predetermined until the DNA inside them guide them to their final destination. Just as a mutation on a certain gene will cause a person to have heart problems in their 40's. Life is a complex thing and I no more claim to have the best answer than anyother. I use the facts to shape my opinion and feel that each situation may indeed be entirely different. I do not belittle the opinions of those across the aisle, but will challenge their logic and philosophy.

  6. #66
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,723

    Re: Is President Obama Right in This?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And in the very next post, some one proves me wrong. I am still not sure though that this is the common view among those of us who are pro abortion rights.
    I wasn't trying to claim that it was a majority view among pro-choicers. But a vocal subset do believe that. I've heard unborn children called parasites by some rabid pro-choice posters here. That view I can respect as logically consistent with the calls for on demand abortion. I find reprehensible, but at least logically consistent.

    I do not think most pro abortion rights people think of a fetus as a toenail or a cyst, but more as a human in potentia. We give it more standing that an inanimate object or even an animal, but it's not a fully realized human yet. That is, I think, where the quandary comes in. We are uncomfortable with ending that potential, but think it should be legal, an ethical choice that the government has no right to make for us.
    Please don't take offense, but to put it bluntly it sounds like you're hiding behind semantics to help soothe your discomfort with what abortion is. You obviously recognize there is something special about a unborn life. You state its not a toenail or a cyst and has more standing than animals or objects. But you stop short of declaring it truly human because that would undermine your position.

    Government has no right to make ethical choices for us if they don't undermine the liberty of others. But the first and most important liberty is life. When my ethical choices can end a life, government needs to step in protect the life of the other guy. His right to life is trumps my right to make my own choices. Afterall without life, no one can have liberty. That is why muder and manslaughter are illegal and its why abortion should be as well.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  7. #67
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Is President Obama Right in This?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    I wasn't trying to claim that it was a majority view among pro-choicers. But a vocal subset do believe that. I've heard unborn children called parasites by some rabid pro-choice posters here. That view I can respect as logically consistent with the calls for on demand abortion. I find reprehensible, but at least logically consistent.



    Please don't take offense, but to put it bluntly it sounds like you're hiding behind semantics to help soothe your discomfort with what abortion is. You obviously recognize there is something special about a unborn life. You state its not a toenail or a cyst and has more standing than animals or objects. But you stop short of declaring it truly human because that would undermine your position.

    Government has no right to make ethical choices for us if they don't undermine the liberty of others. But the first and most important liberty is life. When my ethical choices can end a life, government needs to step in protect the life of the other guy. His right to life is trumps my right to make my own choices. Afterall without life, no one can have liberty. That is why muder and manslaughter are illegal and its why abortion should be as well.
    I understand your point as to public opinion determing the right to life. But a fetus is reliant upon another for survival, that is the mother. The mother is effected by the presence of the unborn child. If a mother is going to die if an abortion is not performed, do you feel that the mothers life has less worth than that of the child? Or are they equal?

  8. #68
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,723

    Re: Is President Obama Right in This?

    In the case of a mother's life being endangered by the pregnancy, I would definately support the option of abortion. I don't know if I've ever met a pro-life advocate that would disagree with that provision.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  9. #69
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    86,323
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is President Obama Right in This?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post

    Please don't take offense, but to put it bluntly it sounds like you're hiding behind semantics to help soothe your discomfort with what abortion is. You obviously recognize there is something special about a unborn life. You state its not a toenail or a cyst and has more standing than animals or objects. But you stop short of declaring it truly human because that would undermine your position.

    Government has no right to make ethical choices for us if they don't undermine the liberty of others. But the first and most important liberty is life. When my ethical choices can end a life, government needs to step in protect the life of the other guy. His right to life is trumps my right to make my own choices. Afterall without life, no one can have liberty. That is why muder and manslaughter are illegal and its why abortion should be as well.
    Here is the disconnect that has been talked about a bit here. You are not making the intuitive leap yet to see how we see things. The fundamental question to abortion as I see it is when does an egg and sperm become a human. Once it is human, then the government does have a responsibility to protect it. There is a measuring scale, that once it crosses a certain point, it is human and protected. Anti abortion people put that point at 1 second, 1 minute, 1 hour or whatever brief time from fertilization. pro abortion rights people put that point further down the timeline, at one month, or 1 trimester, or not until birth, or whatever. This is not a semantics game to justify our belief, it is a different view of this aspect of the world.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Is President Obama Right in This?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    At conception there is no more a human life than the skin on your arm.
    You've managed to convince yourself that a human fetus is no different than a skin cell.

    Good for you.

    Now back it up with science.

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    Simply cells dividing exponentially until a fetus is created. The body may self abort in a miscarriage and the uterous will reabsorb the cells.
    Oh. I see you can't back it up, so you're resorting to nonsense.

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    Yes, a human life indeed, yet do you suffer over the live children who starve to death, or cannot afford healthcare and die?
    Non sequitur.

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    In certain circumstances I believe abortion should be available.
    Certainly. Once they come up with a genetic test to find future Democrats, we should permit abortions of those babies, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    For use as contraceptive, no. Late-term, no. But if a woman is raped or abused, or too disfunctional to raise a child, then the option should be on the table.
    OH, MY GOD RAPE!!!!!!!!!!

    Of course, in the minds of people who want as many abortions as possible to happen, there's no moral issues with destroying a person that didn't exist when the crime was committed, even though the maximum sentence for a rapist is some time in prison, but what the hell, murder the baby, it's his fault.

    (Does that response resonate with your frantic emotional state over the thought that a baby might be born somewhere?)

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •