View Poll Results: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marijuana

    67 81.71%
  • Cocaine

    36 43.90%
  • LSD

    38 46.34%
  • Meth

    30 36.59%
  • Prescription drugs

    33 40.24%
  • Psychedelic mushrooms

    44 53.66%
  • Ecstasy

    35 42.68%
  • Opium

    38 46.34%
  • other

    28 34.15%
  • None of the above

    14 17.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 294

Thread: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

  1. #271
    Student Goldwaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Liberal Northern California
    Last Seen
    03-08-10 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    266

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    You make good sense Goldwaters.

    But if something logical could be done it shoulda already been done. I think we need to try open season on hard drug dealers, offer regulated programs for the addicts, that doesn't deny them their fix, but rather makes them work for recovery, to get it. That's the education part of it you mentioned I suppose.

    The industry must be taken away from the violent criminals running it. People who sell coke and meth and herion are no better than cockroaches and deserve no more consideration than a cockroach in my humble opinion.

    The people should take back the streets. Just give us 6 weeks of immunity, and I bet you'd see a lot of drug dealers find God.
    From my perspective, the drug world is filled with criminals, sociopaths, addicts, recreational users, innocent victims, sicko freaks, and many well intended people. I counseled a heroin addict who shot her own son up on heroin at the age of six on a dare from her 1%er biker boyfriend. Try getting past the guilt of that when you make your best effort to recover. There are very few clean and sober meth and heroin dealers. If we go up and down the street cutting off heads, we deny those people any chance to have thier conditions treated, and thier spots will be filled in no time. The eventual standpoint I've observed Addiction Specialist MD's, and SA Counselors take is that our jobs are to stay positive, supporting, and welcoming for anyone who wants to recover. Which means not holding against them what they've done.

  2. #272
    Sage
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,802

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    I hear ya Goldwater.

    I think I'm gonna go put on some John Lennon. Maybe calm myself down a bit.

    "All you need is love."

    "You may say, I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one."

    Yeah, I feel much warmer now.

    But I can get the same feeling peeing in my pants.

    On second thought. I wanna go back to plan A.

    Wipe 'em out. Life's too short to be pissin' up a rope.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  3. #273
    Advisor Tubub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    05-22-13 @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    521

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    Thoreau already ripped apart your fallacious economics, so I'd just like to point out that you still haven't provided any evidence that drug use increases under legalization.


    Please see post #255.


    I have mentioned deglamorization in this thread at least 4 times. Please try to understand the argument you're responding to.


    Why are you attacking my motives instead of my argument? Are you having that much trouble with it?


    If you could post data to show any drug that has some inherent property which compels people to commit crimes, that would go a long way toward making this not sound like alarmist hyperbole based on myths and misconceptions.


    Several times I've posted evidence that the world's foremost experts are unable to find a correlation between drug laws and the rate drug use. Not once have you posted any evidence to support any of your contradictory assertions and assumptions. So I think it's your world that doesn't fit reality.


    I can't understand what it is about selling drugs to willing adults that gets everyone's panties in a bunch. It's a mutual exchange between consenting adults. It's not like drug dealers are out there shoving narcotics down people's throats against their will. Even besides that, lowering the supply is not the answer because that causes more problems than it solves. Lowering the demand is the answer, through education and deglamorization.


    The only thing you have here is a desperate attempt to rationalize the following statement:

    "Drug use would increase if prohibition were repealed."

    For once I would like for someone, anyone, to support that assertion with some kind of evidence instead of repeating myths and hypotheses ad nauseum.
    Ad Hominem.

    You sound like an 80 year old Republican screaming how his support are "FACTS"... Your argument isn't fact. It doesn't take a genuis to realize that legalizing drugs would increase use. Does Amsterdam have less drug users than the United States? I didn't think so. When reprimand is zero and the drugs are even easier to attain(I understand already easy in some cases) then demand is going to increase... at least for the short-term. Long-term is subjective and there's no way of really knowing how it would turn out besides going ahead and doing it.

    I suppose we can both agree that education and deglamorization are key to curbing drug use. I just don't see place for heroin, meth, or any other hardcore drug in our society. I mean, the thought that the person using it is the only one affected is just flat wrong... its not some isolated incident where a person uses heroin in a cubicle and then goes through with his/her life. The person will become addicted and it will tear not only their life up, but that of their family and possibly friends or strangers if it turns violent enough.

    I know people from school that use drugs regardless of education. Regardless of all the schooling and the counselors and the former users giving speeches... they still use drugs. And increasingly more hardcore drugs. The law has caught up with 1 of them in one way or another(he was selling drugs to some dumbass 14 year old) and the rest will eventually follow suit. That's where my thinking comes from, and from elsewhere of course.


    Moreover, alcohol is bad but it is part of Western society. We drink wine at mass and basically sip alcohol at every occasion and in every mood. That is why alcohol prohibition failed. Hardcore drugs do not play any part in our society and never should.

    I'll re-state my belief that marijuana legalization is not a completely taboo idea. The economy and drug war suck and taking some measures like legalizing marijuana is not out of the question. On the other hand, drugs like heroin and meth? No way man.

    I know not all of this pertains to your comment. I wanted to have my say anyway

    Legalize marijuana? Not so fast. - Yahoo! News
    Drug Decriminalization In Holland Has Increased Crime and Addiction
    Last edited by Tubub; 05-25-09 at 07:34 PM.
    “Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -TR

  4. #274
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,413

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Finally, some evidence. I was starting to wonder if you'd ever come through. But dude, seriously, an opinion piece from the CSM? Have you no shame??

    Rosalie Pacula, codirector of the Rand Drug Policy Research Center, poses this question: "If pot is relatively harmless, why are we seeing more than 100,000 hospitalizations a year" for marijuana use? Emergency-room admissions where marijuana is the primary substance involved increased by 164 percent from 1995 to 2002 – faster than for other drugs, according to the Drug Abuse Warning Network.

    Prior to 2002, the Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) used collecting and reporting techniques that were so poor and problematic that they needed to be completely overhauled. They came under scrutiny for this, and now they even call themselves "The New DAWN" on their website Under the old rules, the mere mention of marijuana was sufficient grounds for DAWN to consider it an ED associated with marijuana, even if marijuana had nothing to do with the ED visit at all. And the report being quoted actually specifies that "marijuana mentions" were what rose 164%, not emergency room visits due to marijuana.

    New DAWN: Why It Cannot Be Compared with Old DAWN
    http://dawninfo.samhsa.gov/old_dawn/...l02AllText.pdf

    Research results over the past decade link frequent marijuana use to several serious mental health problems


    Yeah, they've been making that claim for years. But when you research it, it turns out that people who have schitzophrenia like to smoke weed, so these people are happy to conclude that weed causes schitzophrenia.

    Still, health consequences are good reasons why drugs shouldn't be used, they're not good reasons why drugs should be illegal.

    Drug Decriminalization In Holland Has Increased Crime and Addiction
    I'd like to know where Rep. Solomon got his information on the Netherlands. Apparently they came straight from his behind, because the Duch Embassy website schooled him and similar claims not long after this.

    Dutch Embassy website
    August 6, 1998

    Press, Public and Cultural Affairs


    Drug Policy and Crime Statistics



    Recent accounts in the U.S. press about the Netherlands drug policy have included incorrect and misleading statistics about drug use and drug-related crimes in the Netherlands. What follows is a short list of facts and comparisons to refute those accounts, and sources are given to permit and encourage third party verification of facts.


    Last month use of cannabis (marijuana) by high school seniors:
    18.1% in the Netherlands (1996);
    23.7% in the U.S. (1997).
    (Sources: The Trimbos Institute, Amsterdam, the Netherlands; Monitoring the Future Survey, University of Michigan and White House Office of National Drug Control Policy)



    Any lifetime use (prevalence) of cannabis by older teens (1994):
    30% in the Netherlands;
    38% in the U.S.
    (Sources: Center for Drug Research, University of Amsterdam; Monitoring the Future Survey, University of Michigan and White House Office of National Drug Control Policy)



    Recent (last month) use of cannabis by 15 year olds (in 1995):
    15% in the Netherlands;
    16% in the U.S.;
    24% in the U.K.
    (Sources: Trimbos Institute, Amsterdam, the Netherlands; Monitoring the Future Survey, University of Michigan and White House Office of National Drug Control Policy; Council of Europe, ESPAD Report)



    Any lifetime use of cannabis by 15 year olds (in 1995):
    29% in the Netherlands;
    34% in the U.S.;
    41% in the U.K.
    (Sources: Netherlands Institute of Health and Addiction, U.S. National Institute for Drug Abuse; Council of Europe, ESPAD Report)



    Heroine addicts as a percentage of population (in 1995):
    160 per 100,000 in the Netherlands;
    430 per 100,000 in the U.S.
    (Sources: Netherlands Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport;
    White House Office of National Drug Control Policy)



    Murder rate as a percentage of population (in 1996):
    1.8 per 100,000 in the Netherlands;
    8.22 in the U.S.
    (Sources: Netherlands Bureau of Statistics; White House Office of National Drug Control Policy)



    Incarceration rate as a percentage of population (1997):
    73 per 100,000 in the Netherlands;
    645 per 100,000 in the U.S.
    (Sources: Netherlands Ministry of Justice; White House Office of National Drug Control Strategy)



    Crime-related deaths as a percentage of population:
    1.2 per 100,000 in the Netherlands (1994);
    8.2 per 100,000 in the U.S. (1995).
    (Sources: World Health Organization; Uniform Crime Reports, U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation)



    Per capita spending on drug-related law enforcement:
    $27 per capita in the Netherlands;
    $81 per capita in the U.S.
    (Sources: Netherlands Ministry of Justice; White House Office of National Drug Control Strategy)



    http://www.ukcia.org/research/DutchPolicyAndCrimeStatistics.html


    The Netherlands is lower than the U.S. in all these categories (crime and drug use), in spite of their drug policies. Clearly, decriminalization in the Netherlands ("allowing" drug use as you call it) has not led to widespread drug use and crime.

    Also consider the experience of Portugal:

    Portugal in 2001 became the first European country to officially abolish all criminal penalties for personal possession of drugs, including marijuana, cocaine, heroin and methamphetamine. The question is, does the new policy work? At the time, critics in the poor, socially conservative and largely Catholic nation said decriminalizing drug possession would open the country to "drug tourists" and exacerbate Portugal's drug problem; the country had some of the highest levels of hard-drug use in Europe.

    But the recently released results of a report commissioned by the Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank, suggest otherwise. The paper, published by Cato in April, found that in the five years after personal possession was decriminalized, illegal drug use among teens in Portugal declined and rates of new HIV infections caused by sharing of dirty needles dropped, while the number of people seeking treatment for drug addiction more than doubled.

    Compared to the European Union and the U.S., Portugal's drug use numbers are impressive. Following decriminalization, Portugal had the lowest rate of lifetime marijuana use in people over 15 in the E.U.: 10%. The most comparable figure in America is in people over 12: 39.8%. Proportionally, more Americans have used cocaine than Portuguese have used marijuana.

    Drugs in Portugal: Did Decriminalization Work? - TIME
    The following countries have also decriminalized marijuana, yet nobody has produced any reports showing an increased rate of crime or marijuana use:

    Italy (1990), Spain (1992), Portugal (2001), Luxembourg (2001), Belgium (2001), and Austria (1998).

  5. #275
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tubub
    Ad Hominem.
    What happened to normal words like "insult" or "verbal abuse"?
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  6. #276
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    I've used just about everything out there, numerous times. I've been an irresponsible drug user, I've been an addict, I've hit bottom - hard, I've walked away from addition, I've recovered and I've made my way to a responsible user.

    The notion that someone cannot responsibly use drugs is inherently flawed and proven wrong on a daily basis by those of use who DO responsibly use drugs.

    All drugs should be legal for all the reasons that others have posted here. It's not the government's place to tell me what I can or cannot ingest. Prohibition doesn't make a problem better, it only makes it worse. People should be responsible for their own actions, as opposed to the government being responsible for them. Etc, etc, etc.

    Goddamn I love cocaine. Anywho....

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    Cyanide, to be rid of people who need drugs to get by.
    I agree that all coffee drinkers' coffee should be laced with cyanide so we can rid ourselves of their nuisance.


    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Ahh man, here we go again.

    Now thats what i want to hear, Weatherman. Anybody on this forum who advocates the legalization of all drugs, have a very quetionable state of mind. Do you know what that would do to society?
    Please enlighten us as to what it would do to society. I'd love to see what your crystal ball says.

    Do you know what it is already DOING to society?
    What society? Because they're not legal here. You mean places where some drugs WERE decriminalized and it helped? Well yes then, I DO know what it does to society. It makes it freer and better.

    Are you all ignorant to the effects of drugs on lives, and families?
    What kind of drugs? Legal? Illegal? Just casual use, or addicts? Responsible use or irresponsible use? Are you going to enlighten us to the effects of all possible outcomes, or just the drastic extremes that fit into your small worldview on the subject?

    Those who advocate such legalization have serious, serious mental issues, and obviously lack much intelligence and education.
    They said the same thing about those pesky anti-prohibitionists w/regard to alcohol too. I don't hold much stock in such blatantly incorrect opinions with no basis in fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    If you have ever known someone who was addicted to drugs then you'd understand that its worlds apart from silly mental addictions like shopping or television or even gambling. The difference in degree and effects on the individual are without comparison.
    I've been addicted. I don't see it as much different.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    For those who are pro-drug legalization:

    Let's say there is a drug that has a 100% fatality rate. If you take it, you get temendously high, after which you always die. Obviously, since all the users are dead its use cannot be banned. My question is, would you support the legalization of the sale of this drug?

    Don't mean to hijack the thread, just curious.
    I completely support every person's inherent right to kill themselves any way they wish.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yes, and more to the point, most prostitutes do not work in brothels, but on the street.
    BUAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHHAA

    *deep breath*

    BUAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

    Okay, now that I've had my daily laugh at the seemingly unending sheer ignorance Jerry has on that subject.... back on topic now.


    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    Was hoping you'd excercise your sense of humour so i wouldnt have to

    Your lack of knowledge on the effects of drugs in evident in these posts. Alcohol doesnt get you high and is fine in regulated amounts. Class C drugs are fine in regulated amounts, ok. But cocaine? Heroin? I dont think you realize the harm it can do and how quickly one can become attached to it even after first time use.
    How does alcohol NOT get you high? That's what alcohol does, it intoxicates you, makes you stupid, takes away your inhibitions, good judgment, and motor skills. If that's not "high", then what is it?

    Have you ever tried cocaine? Yes, some people can become addicted after one use, much the same as alcohol or cigs (as such, irrelevant), but most people do not. You can function perfectly fine while using cocaine too. In fact, I would challenge you to go to DC and pick out which politicians were high on cocaine at any given time. Betcha can't do it. Bet you never have been able to tell while watching them on TV, have ya?

    Heroin is a different matter, though. Can't really function properly in public while high on heroin, people are going to know you're high. However, you CAN use it responsibly. Ditto for LSD, ditto for shrooms, ditto for pot.


    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    You dont "regulate" Class A drugs. To take them anyway is irresponsible. To take them responsibly isnt possible.
    Why on earth do you think it's not possible? The presumption is illogical at best. People do it all the time.

  7. #277
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Rivrrat, you waste your time debating Kaya. He's under the impression that drugs are "bad" and that is that. No amount of poking holes in his feeble attempts at logical arguments will sway him.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  8. #278
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    48,264

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    Rivrrat, you waste your time debating Kaya. He's under the impression that drugs are "bad" and that is that. No amount of poking holes in his feeble attempts at logical arguments will sway him.
    Drugs can be bad for sure, I merely view them as a personal choice.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #279
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Drugs can be bad for sure, I merely view them as a personal choice.
    Sure, but that's all relative. "Bad" varies by individual.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  10. #280
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Which drugs should be legalized for recreational use?

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    Still, health consequences are good reasons why drugs shouldn't be used, they're not good reasons why drugs should be illegal.

    [URL="http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/GovPubs/solom2.htm"]
    I'd like to know where Rep. Solomon got his information on the Netherlands. Apparently they came straight from his behind, because the Duch Embassy website schooled him and similar claims not long after this.


    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    The Netherlands is lower than the U.S. in all these categories (crime and drug use), in spite of their drug policies. Clearly, decriminalization in the Netherlands ("allowing" drug use as you call it) has not led to widespread drug use and crime.

    Also consider the experience of Portugal:


    The following countries have also decriminalized marijuana, yet nobody has produced any reports showing an increased rate of crime or marijuana use:

    Italy (1990), Spain (1992), Portugal (2001), Luxembourg (2001), Belgium (2001), and Austria (1998).
    Wow. Comparing three DIFFERENT countries crime rates and drug use rates and PRESUMING that the drug enforcement policy of the countries is the reason or even a strong contributing factor? Perhaps we should make a valid study.. you know... like comparing crime and drug rates OF THE SAME COUNTRY over the years when drugs were illegal and then legal?
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •